U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 02:46 PM

85 posts, read 262,291 times

Advertisements

Wow those statistics are truly sad. I am getting very concerned with the prospect of not having an enviornment that is health and fitness conscious. I need my walking and bike trails. I need to know that the need for Yoga is strong and thriving (it's how I have made a great living so far and will continue to do so). I really appreciate all of your feedback and thoughts. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 07:07 AM

9,837 posts, read 20,081,029 times
One of my friends in Athens has a yoga studio that is donation-based. That area is one of the most health conscious in the state and is probably already saturated with yoga studios. But, I imagine if you contact studios there, someone will be willing to give you ideas for the Atlanta area. Try http://www.athenszen.org/

Old 02-13-2007, 10:45 AM

85 posts, read 262,291 times
Thanks Ellie,
I checked out Athens and that area. It seems to be a college town which would be great for a studio but I wasn't sure about the surrounding areas for raising a family and such...

Old 02-13-2007, 03:10 PM

2 posts, read 6,160 times
Default Don't Overlook Forcyth Cty. Location, Taxes, and 14 Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogini View Post
I am currently a Yoga Teacher in NY looking to relocate with family to GA to open my own studio. Money is not an issue. Possibly Alpharetta or surrounding areas. I am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how well a Yoga Studio would do in any of these areas and if there is a big need for something like this. I have searched through all the forums and found next to nothing regarding Yoga, Health, Fitness, Etc. I'm starting to worry how health and alternative medicine is viewed there. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Hi,
Saw your post and like to offer a suggestion. Check out Cumming, GA
Cumming, GA is an excellent place to look for a possible site for a health business.
One post mentioned the YMCA in Vickery Village (Forcyth County where Cumming is county seat).
If you are 65 years of age, your property taxes will be very low because of exemptions from the portion of taxes usually going to schools.
Cumming has fourteen parks and new Publix stores, a great hospital, some great houses of worship, we attend St. Brendan Parish, but there are many other Christain and some Jewish communities.
Good luck on your search.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,869 times
Dear Yogini, Glad to here you would like to bring a yoga studio to the area. YES! We are in direr need of a good studio here. There are a few studio's in the Alpharetta area. I live in Duluth/Norcross area more specifically Statebridge & Medlock Bridge area. We have no REAL yoga studio. There is a Dahn Yoga...which you may know about ...I've gone to it but it cannot sustain members due to it's business model. If you don't know much about them.....just Google them and then you will get a sense. I also call it "corporate" yoga because it's a national chain and the feel is not what yoga is all about.

In this area, you will find a client base that can afford classes, care about themselves...they are fit. Nieghborhoods that support this area are St. Ives, Country Club of the South, Thornhill, The Falls....etc. There tons of surrounding neighborhoods. An ideal location would be right off of Medlock Bridge Rd (which also hwy 141) and Statebridge. Specifically, Medlock Crossing: 9700 Medlock Bridge Road, Duluth, GA 30097....there is a health store, starbucks, restaruants, movie theather, etc.. Tons of traffic. It's a perfect yoga suburbian location...a true need........if I could afford it, I would open a studio here.

I'm not here to push the real estate at all...I'm just looking for a studio around here and there's is no real place to go...it's just a great location. I just happened to stumble upon your post when I googled yoga for this area.

I'm really crying out for a REAL yoga studio here in this area. Please open one! Hope this helps you. You will do well. If you come to the area, please check it out. Good luck to you.
Namaste

Old 02-21-2007, 01:24 PM

2 posts, read 35,797 times
Default Consider Gwinnett County

We could use a good Yoga studio in affluent Gwinnett County - which is slightly northeast of Alpharetta. Some cities to look at would be Suwanee, Sugar Hill, Duluth, Grayson, Snellville, Lawrenceville, Buford. There is LOTS of new high end housing going in up here, and our beloved SHALA in Grayson closed last year. Our Yogini moved to Ireland......

Please let me know where you land, I would be interested in participating in your classes. I also see alot of combination yoga/Pilates studios around. If you could keep the price down, it would be greatly appreciated. The one studio around here is $65 for an unlimited monthly class card, our old Shala only charged $40. When I was unemployed for a period of time, Yogini Shakti encouraged me to attend classes and not worry about paying when I couldn't afford it. In return, I would do some special things for her around the Shala.

She was a wonderful person in every way. She lost her only child, a son of 20, the day after 9-11-2001 in a car wreck and after that she went through some very difficult challenges personally. I think she felt she needed to move on as part of her healing process.

There are some great health food stores around the area, a brand new Whole Foods just opened up in Suwanee - locating nearby that would be GREAT! And as a note to the one response about fat people - some of us have struggles with our weight but it does not mean we don't care about our health. I have fought a lifelong battle with my weight, but I do exercise and do my best to eat healthy.

Let me know if I can help in any way.....

Old 02-21-2007, 07:10 PM

22 posts, read 208,507 times
Good places for your studio? Vinnings,Smyrna,Austell,Duluth these places are experiencing a lot of growth, and have young working people who want to stay fit. These populations are probably likely to be interested in alternative health and so on as well. Some parts of the Atlanta suburb area tend to be a bit more bible thumping and not into alternative anything.

Old 03-11-2007, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 5,765 times
I am a yoga teacher, (women only), in the Cumming and Alpharetta areas. I do private in home sessions and small groups in Cumming and Alpharetta. I work on my own and hope to soon have a studio.
If any of you ladies are interested in contacting me I'll give my email address. I'm not sure if it's o.k. to leave it on this forum!
Or, check out everythingyoga.com and look for studios in Cumming. I am "yoga for exercise". There is also a pilates teacher in the same studio I'm in, in Cumming.
Thanks!

Old 03-11-2007, 07:18 PM

726 posts, read 3,283,880 times
There are several Yoga centers in Savannah and on Hilton Head Island

http://www.savannahyoga.com/

Old 04-06-2007, 09:16 PM

18 posts, read 169,097 times
I live in Gwinnett Co. in the Snellville-area. There is a huge influx of move-in residents from places other than GA and the southeast. Yoga classes are offered at the YMCA and at some of the Community School and/or parks & rec programs. There are two yoga studios in this town specifically. Gwinnett Co. is part of metro Atlanta but not feasible for a drive to the Alpharetta-area.

Parks, walking trails, sidewalks and green spaces are plentiful in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or