U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 AM

201 posts, read 364,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post

Most of the people who wish that their city can be like Atlanta, most likely have not lived in Atlanta. Metro Atlanta and Metro Phoenix are the poster children for out of control growth and **** poor planning. Metro Atlanta has a population of about 5 million people, but Atlanta proper has less than 600,000. What that tells me is that most people prefer a suburban lifestyle, which is what most of the second tier cities offer. They may have driven in Atlanta a couple of times, but to get stuck in that hellish traffic Monday thru Friday day in and day out is not what I would call high living. To wish that the city you are living can have that kind of traffic is nuts. Sure they might have more high priced junk, but if you have been paying attention to the news lately, even the rich that at one time thought nothing of paying 5 or 6 thousand dollars for a suite, have cut back, because some of the Financial Planners have made off with some of their money and stocks a down. But if you wish to have the city life, then go hang out in your local downtown area, something strange is bound to happen, that should remind you that you are not in a local town of 100 people. It might take a little longer in Macon however, because that downtown area is almost a virtual ghost town after sundown. But I am sure if you hang out in Columbus, Athens, Savannah or Augusta long enough you'll find it, the "city life" that is. Well honestly you will find it in Macon also, but it will not be downtown.
For the person who believes that Columbus only have 4 or 5 companies in the whole city. I have ask, are you ok? Columbus is the corporate home for those companies. There a numerous other companies that are here, but Columbus is not the corporate home, such as Panasonic, Vulcan Chemicals, Bayer, Kodak, Pratt & Whitney, PCI, Buffalo Rock/Pepsi, Sun Fresh, Tom's Foods,... Columbus is no big city, but I'll take it over Atlanta any day, which is what I did. I didn't like Atlanta, so I moved to Columbus.
You sound like a person who could not handle the fast lane and are trying to justify it rather than encourage others to move into bigger and better things.(It is called growth and experience)
This reflects a sit and wait or let someone else worry about it mentality which is a major reason Columbus is in the shape it is in.
Why would you mention these companies who rarely hire or layoff regularly as a plus?
Join the rest of us in making things better rather than sitting on your hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 10:44 AM

726 posts, read 1,884,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Ummmmm uncreditable, I think not. You saying that Macon will have a 2nd this and a 2nd that, but what you fell to realize is that the original store is going to close down. I promise you that, Macon has 93,000 people and if you truly believe that all of those stores are going to stay open, you're in complete denial. If the stores does stay open, it will be the first time that a city of 93,000 can support that kind of development.

BTW: All I hear you talk about is development...Where's the job growth or projected job growth?

Maybe that's why it is recent threads asking what happened to Macon's mall and a new thread with someone wanting to leave Macon for Columbus....
Man give up, I have come to realize is that yall just don't want to see Macon for what really happening there because yall wish it was Columbus....But What you fail to realize is that not only does Macon 93,000 people shop there but Macon is a shopping hub for MGA which a draw area of over 750,000 people...... thats why the market can support it, dont hate....

i see not that you guys are just posting stuff just to bash and criticize What Macon is doing(signs of jealousness)....i have provided facts and evidence to my postings which make is creditable, in like yall nothing but false hype, and for coming promises that has not sign of coming though...... I give up becuase no matter what i say of provide true fact yall still going to find a way to condemn it..............

Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 1,476,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
You sound like a person who could not handle the fast lane and are trying to justify it rather than encourage others to move into bigger and better things.(It is called growth and experience)
This reflects a sit and wait or let someone else worry about it mentality which is a major reason Columbus is in the shape it is in.
Why would you mention these companies who rarely hire or layoff regularly as a plus?
Truthfully, I have lived in the big cities and I know how to survive, and I learned from experience that if you want to survive and get ahead the legal way, then education is the key. You are barking up the wrong tree friend. So let's just keep this kosher. I don't sit on my hands. I prefer a one on one style. Griping and complaining has never solved anything and it never will. You actually think the companies in Columbus are the only ones that are laying off? Are you out of touch with reality? Are you really getting involved? Are you tutoring middle and high school children in math and science? Maybe, you are a Big Brother or Big Sister? Are you trying to teach the youth how to fish, or are you just handing out fish? What are you doing? By the way, what is "bigger and better"? You people are always complaining and have been complaining from the day I moved here. First it was Columbus has the lowest pay scale in the state. Well, we are no longer last, but third (Atlanta, Athens then Columbus). Better jobs moved in, old established jobs which required no tangible skills sets move out of the country and the people refused to get the proper education for the new jobs. But, that became the city of Columbus' fault? Well, the same thing was happening in Denver, CO, Phoenix, AZ, Dallas, TX, Houston, TX, New York City, Chicago and a host of other cities, most of them transformed themselves. Those that did not (Detroit, Cleveland and host of other rust belt cities) are suffering. My point is simple, get a real skill, a marketable skill and things are better for you. You might have to move, but you will find a job. The alternative, don't acquire the proper skills and blame the city for your problems. Fast Lane!!!! I have a suggestion for you, walk around Downtown Atlanta, let's say about 10 PM, then tell me about the fast lane.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:53 AM

[quote=cdw1084;6827401]
BTW: All I hear you talk about is development...Where's the job growth or projected job growth?

It obvious that you have not read anything i posted.....All you have done is bash what ever i say good about Macon. I recently posted something about all the jobs and companies moving operations to Macon and the New ones that are proposed for the entire metro area. Between 2006- 2008 Macon has gained at lease 7 new companies to just Bibb county(KOHLS DC,BASS PRO SHOPS AND DC, SARA LEE DC,Kumho Tires,Nichinchi,Kellogg,Academy Sports DC,MBM/chick-fil-a DC and more). A lot of larger companies like GEICO are working on huge expansion projects. Robins AFB is less than 15 minutes south of Macon which employees about 30,000 people....A lot of Government offices are moving from Atlanta to the Macon Metro area like In 2008, the old Tift college campus became home to the Georgia Department of Corrections(Forsyth,GA). Need More................

Last edited by yerocal; 01-04-2009 at 11:04 AM..

Old 01-04-2009, 10:58 AM

913 posts, read 1,995,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Actually, his post is very logical and makes perfect sense. Everything he said is 100% true. Columbus has a sit and wait attitude??? My God man are you blind. Columbus has accomplished great things. Just look at the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts and what Columbus State University has done downtown. Columbus has a mentality that other cities would strive to have. Yes, things have slowed here in the last year or two, but that has to do with the national economy. Columbus is anything, but stagnant. The 2 huge additions to Columbus Park Crossing have been delayed until sometime this year due to the capital markets and slow economy. Same can be said for The Grove development in Harris County. It's all about timing, and Columbus has been excellent at that. I will say there are some challenges with BRAC, but they will all be worked out in the next 2-3 years. Columbus is setting itself up to take off here in the next few years. I live in Atlanta and do real estate development here. All I hear now is people wanting to do something in Columbus. Watch the next 5 years and you will see.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:16 AM

1,304 posts, read 2,394,305 times
I agree.. I mean it seems that ppl choose to live in these medium size cities because their size is more manageable and life not as hectic.. so I don't quite understand some people who wish Augusta, Macon and Columbus to become like Atlanta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post

Most of the people who wish that their city can be like Atlanta, most likely have not lived in Atlanta. Metro Atlanta and Metro Phoenix are the poster children for out of control growth and **** poor planning. Metro Atlanta has a population of about 5 million people, but Atlanta proper has less than 600,000. What that tells me is that most people prefer a suburban lifestyle, which is what most of the second tier cities offer. They may have driven in Atlanta a couple of times, but to get stuck in that hellish traffic Monday thru Friday day in and day out is not what I would call high living. To wish that the city you are living can have that kind of traffic is nuts. Sure they might have more high priced junk, but if you have been paying attention to the news lately, even the rich that at one time thought nothing of paying 5 or 6 thousand dollars for a suite, have cut back, because some of the Financial Planners have made off with some of their money and stocks a down. But if you wish to have the city life, then go hang out in your local downtown area, something strange is bound to happen, that should remind you that you are not in a local town of 100 people. It might take a little longer in Macon however, because that downtown area is almost a virtual ghost town after sundown. But I am sure if you hang out in Columbus, Athens, Savannah or Augusta long enough you'll find it, the "city life" that is. Well honestly you will find it in Macon also, but it will not be downtown.
For the person who believes that Columbus only have 4 or 5 companies in the whole city. I have ask, are you ok? Columbus is the corporate home for those companies. There a numerous other companies that are here, but Columbus is not the corporate home, such as Panasonic, Vulcan Chemicals, Bayer, Kodak, Pratt & Whitney, PCI, Buffalo Rock/Pepsi, Sun Fresh, Tom's Foods,... Columbus is no big city, but I'll take it over Atlanta any day, which is what I did. I didn't like Atlanta, so I moved to Columbus.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:29 AM

201 posts, read 364,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Actually, his post is very logical and makes perfect sense. Everything he said is 100% true. Columbus has a sit and wait attitude??? My God man are you blind. Columbus has accomplished great things. Just look at the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts and what Columbus State University has done downtown. Columbus has a mentality that other cities would strive to have. Yes, things have slowed here in the last year or two, but that has to do with the national economy. Columbus is anything, but stagnant. The 2 huge additions to Columbus Park Crossing have been delayed until sometime this year due to the capital markets and slow economy. Same can be said for The Grove development in Harris County. It's all about timing, and Columbus has been excellent at that. I will say there are some challenges with BRAC, but they will all be worked out in the next 2-3 years. Columbus is setting itself up to take off here in the next few years. I live in Atlanta and do real estate development here. All I hear now is people wanting to do something in Columbus. Watch the next 5 years and you will see.
Why have you posted this same info for months which obviously shows a bit of stagnation on your part.
The bottom line is what will these and future projects do for the quality of life for Columbus residents.
City officials have continued to dance around the lack of sound quality employment for our graduates and will readily tell you that their children are leaving the city to pursue their careers in a more "forward looking community" as mine have.
You certainly must be joking that people are actually waiting to enter the Columbus market..really that is pushing it slightly.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM

1,699 posts, read 1,583,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Man give up, I have come to realize is that yall just don't want to see Macon for what really happening there because yall wish it was Columbus....But What you fail to realize is that not only does Macon 93,000 people shop there but Macon is a shopping hub for MGA which a draw area of over 750,000 people...... thats why the market can support it, dont hate....

i see not that you guys are just posting stuff just to bash and criticize What Macon is doing(signs of jealousness)....i have provided facts and evidence to my postings which make is creditable, in like yall nothing but false hype, and for coming promises that has not sign of coming though...... I give up becuase no matter what i say of provide true fact yall still going to find a way to condemn it..............

Give up on what? The topic of this thread was Atlanta then what 3 cities. I felt as if Columbus, Savannah, and Augusta were the next three in my opinion. You felt like Macon, Augusta, and I'm assuming Savannah. I'm not jealous of Macon, Georgia...are you serious? The truth to the matter is that I FEEL as if the other three cities are better. You feel like Macon is...so there it is and I don't wish anything was in Columbus because I don't live there. We will just see over the next few years which cities will progress.

Old 01-08-2009, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Give up on what? The topic of this thread was Atlanta then what 3 cities. I felt as if Columbus, Savannah, and Augusta were the next three in my opinion. You felt like Macon, Augusta, and I'm assuming Savannah. I'm not jealous of Macon, Georgia...are you serious? The truth to the matter is that I FEEL as if the other three cities are better. You feel like Macon is...so there it is and I don't wish anything was in Columbus because I don't live there. We will just see over the next few years which cities will progress.
Well as far as development and growth goes Macon is experiencing way more that columbus...

Georgia Trend
Developers say downtown Macon still a good spot for growth - Local & State - Macon (http://www.macon.com/198/story/567378.html - broken link)
Georgia Trend
Georgia Trend

Old 01-08-2009, 04:31 PM

913 posts, read 1,995,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
Well as far as development and growth goes Macon is experiencing way more that columbus...

Georgia Trend
Developers say downtown Macon still a good spot for growth - Local & State - Macon (http://www.macon.com/198/story/567378.html - broken link)
Georgia Trend
Georgia Trend
That's a bad thing really. I sure would hate to be those developers trying to do something now. Talk about bad timing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia