U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM

10 posts, read 37,196 times

Advertisements

Considering a move to Perry, Georgia and specifically Houston Springs a retirement community....moving from Wisconsin in a few years and would like to gather pro's and con's .....looks great from the internet perspective and only a couple of hours from the ocean. Tornado's? In our 50's so schools not important....was not too happy reading comments on Macon....Housing looks very reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM

1,167 posts, read 1,564,007 times
Default Perry is nice

Wisconsin,

Perry is a nice albeit smaller town in Houston County (county pop. is about 130,000) about 30 miles south of Macon. The town is rapidly developing due to its proximity to the booming Warner Robins. (They have nearly blended into one single area). Taxes are low, crime is relatively low, and it is an economically sound town. Also, downtown Perry is textbook small town south, meaning historic homes and such. Right on I-75 so there is easy access to Macon, Atlanta, and Florida. The down side (maybe not for a retiree) is that there is little in the way of culture (arts, music, symphony, nice restaurants). If you are more of a traveler and homebody, but not into going "out on the town" it is probably a very good choice for you. Additionally, for a bit more city, Macon is a half hour away and for the big city events and a non-stop flight anywhere, Atlanta is only 2 hrs.

BTW, don't believe everything written about Macon here. There are wonderful parts of Macon and great things to see and do there. True, we have some rough areas of town, but what metro area of 300-400,000 people doesn't? The naysayers on here are just overly negative people that only see the bad and never see the good around them. I have lived near downtown Macon for years and have never been burglarized, robbed, etc.

Come visit Middle Georgia and see for yourself. I think you will be impressed with Perry, Warner Robins, and Macon. As far as the retirement community itself...I am a few years from that so I can't help there. Good Luck!

Also, as far a tornadoes are concerned, not a big deal. There are a few in the area year to year, but nothing worse than anywhere else in the Southeast and probably fewer than the Midwest.

Last edited by midgeorgiaman; 02-16-2007 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-16-2007, 09:23 AM

Red face What a great site

Mid Georgia Man I appreciate your information....can't wait to get back there again...we stopped in Perry for lunch and at that time Perry was not even in the mix....we'll take a trip and closer look...again thanks for the comments ...I owe ya a cup of coffee!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:03 AM

8 posts, read 28,723 times
I have relatives who relocated from a retirement/golf community in Florida to Perry, Georgia about a year ago. They LOVE Perry and are happy they made the move.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:05 PM

Wink Mauldin/Simpsonville, South Carolina vs Perry,Georgia

Since discovering this site I checked up on another area and was interested in information on this area in South Carolina..... anybody have comments on which area they preferred? Thanks all.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:49 AM

511 posts, read 2,283,226 times
There's not much I can say about South Caroline except areas along the coast such as Charleston, Hilton Head, & Richland, along with Georgia cities like Savannah, Brunswick, and St. Simons Island are beginning to boom with people, thanks mostly inpart to tourism, and the ports. These areas should be relatively nice to retire to. I'm sure people in the South Carolina forum could help you.

Old 06-17-2007, 01:37 PM

26 posts, read 97,373 times
Default Perry information

Perry is a very nice place and is growing fast. It appears the 55+ community is an asset for Perry

Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,199,016 times
I work in Perry, it is a very nice town. The Georgia National Fairgrounds/Agricenter have brought alot of tourism to Perry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia