Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 AM

7 posts, read 16,896 times

Advertisements

I have been searching for a job here in Metro Atlanta as a Patient Care Tech/Certified Nursing Assistant since June of this year. I've applied to every job I can think of but haven't had any luck.

I applied to Columbus Hospital in Columbus Ga. and they want to hire me but the problem is the drive. I Googled it and found it to be 100 miles away from where I live, I'm wondering is the drive worth it? I really need a job. I know the job here are declining very fast and sometimes I wonder if I have a black cloud over me. Is it worth the drive if the pay is good?

Also, I would like to sell my home when my daughter graduates in June of 09 and move to Huntsville but like I said I live in Jonesboro, Ga and with the school system having no accreditation I'm wondering if my 4 brm home will sell. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 11:53 AM

913 posts, read 2,985,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny63 View Post
I have been searching for a job here in Metro Atlanta as a Patient Care Tech/Certified Nursing Assistant since June of this year. I've applied to every job I can think of but haven't had any luck.

I applied to Columbus Hospital in Columbus Ga. and they want to hire me but the problem is the drive. I Googled it and found it to be 100 miles away from where I live, I'm wondering is the drive worth it? I really need a job. I know the job here are declining very fast and sometimes I wonder if I have a black cloud over me. Is it worth the drive if the pay is good?

Also, I would like to sell my home when my daughter graduates in June of 09 and move to Huntsville but like I said I live in Jonesboro, Ga and with the school system having no accreditation I'm wondering if my 4 brm home will sell. Any suggestions?
Why not just move? Is that an option? A 100 mile commute one-way is only worth it if you can afford the gas and don't mind sitting in a car 3 hours a day. If you like the job I would just move. You will like Columbus.

As for your home, you will not be able to sell it for what you want. I would suggest renting it if that is possible. Not sure what the market is though in Jonesboro. Is that Clayton County?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,061 times
Yes, Jonesboro is Clayton County. I have friends whose house has been on the market forever! Not much luck with renting either because of accreditation issue.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:56 PM

That's the problem....I'm in a catch 22 because not many people want to rent or purchase a home here in Clayton Co. I would love to move to Columbus Ga. but I'm stuck with no jobs here in the Metro area and having to go further out for a job and pay the gas!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM

541 posts, read 1,145,061 times
I feel for you in Clayton Co. The housing market is in shambles everywhere and on top of that you have the accreditation issue to deal with. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM

107 posts, read 309,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by destiny63 View Post

I would tough it out where you are until the economy comes back around or make the Huntsville move NOW!!
You have a lot more to gain where you are than moving to Columbus.

Now if you were talking about moving to Huntsville I would support you 100 percent as that is a community who has got it together and created a city that supports good paying jobs and endless leisure activities.
Good luck!!

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM

Thanks to all of you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I am having a hard time paying my mortgage and other bills with no job at this point although I have never been late on a payment (using my 401k to stay a float) and child support. It's sad that I can't find a job of any kind in or out of my field of work and having to ride 100 miles to a job just to have an income.

I know I want to leave Ga. and I would love living in Huntsville, AL because I have a friend that lives there and always wants me to come and live reasuring me that I will find a job there. But, I am a single mother with one in 4th grade and the other in 12th grade (Clayton Co School System). I want my oldest to finish school and then move but I just don't know if my 401k will last until June.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help. Pray for me and my children.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:05 PM

Thanks to all of you for your advice! I really appreciate it. I am having a hard time paying my mortgage and other bills with no job at this point although I have never been late on a payment (using my 401k to stay a float) and child support. It's sad that I can't find a job of any kind in or out of my field of work and having to ride 100 miles to a job just to have an income.

I know I want to leave Ga. and I would love living in Huntsville, AL because I have a friend that lives there and always wants me to come and live reasuring me that I will find a job there. But, I am a single mother with one in 4th grade and the other in 12th grade (Clayton Co School System). I want my oldest to finish school and then move but I just don't know if my 401k will last until June.

Thanks again for all your suggestions and help. Pray for me and my children
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia