U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:32 AM

2 posts, read 8,300 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm a 59 yr old female and thinking of relocating to Georgia. I know little about Georgia and wanted to find out the best areas in which to live, I don't want to live in a high crime area. I currently work for the Federal Gov. and thinking of transferring to retire there. I would like to purchase a home in Georgia. I currently live in Maryland and the cost of living and homes is off the charts. Can anyone give me some advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 11:18 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,762,524 times
Quote:
I don't want to live in a high crime area.
Picky, picky, picky!

(Just kidding.)

Lizie, to get the full benefit of the local knowledge represented here and make the most of your (and our) time on this forum, please tell us how you envision your life after retirement. Then we can help you!

For example, are you happiest in a walkable, convenient urban environment with all the ammenities of a big city, or have you been longing for a slower pace in a neighborly country setting?

Do you want to play golf or tennis? Take classes at a local college?

Do you want to be nearer to mountains or beaches -- or does that even matter?

Will you want to explore one of the many 55+ active adult communities or do you prefer living among people in all ages and stages of life?

Most importantly, what is your general price range?

Old 02-23-2007, 05:36 PM

2,819 posts, read 9,365,059 times
Hi, Liz.

Maryland, the not Free State

I grew up on the border in Martinsburg,WV.
Lived in Baltimore for a while and know the state like the back of my hand.
Where are you now?

At 59 you will find many benefits in coming to Georgia. Once you hit the 65 mark you will receive even more breaks.

Let me know what you are looking for.
Will try to give you some comparisons by County

Atlanta city - Washington,DC
Gwinnett County - Montgomery County
DeKalb County- Prince George
Clayton County - Anacostia, DC SE
Cobb County - Montgomery and Howard County

North Georgia like Lumpkin, Forsyth, White, Jackson, can compare to Frederick, Carroll, and Harford County.

Good Luck and feel free to ask away

Old 02-24-2007, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 8,300 times
I've always lived in Baltimore City and I'm currently living in Baltimore County, Essex if you know the area. I love living in the county, we have all the ammenities of the city without the crime, many things are within walking distance from where I live.

I like living among all age groups but don't want to rule out an active 55+ community.

I would like to live where there are activities for people in my age group. dinning, shows, meeting new people and making friends. I Also like taking enrichment classes at the cmmunity college.

I've been looking on line at places like Fulton, Marietta, Macon, Albany & Atlanta. Reading some of the comment on the forum it sound like Albany and City of Atlanta might not be a good area to live.

There seems to be a lot of homes in my price range to choose from
but it will also depend on me finding another gov. job there. I'm just in the research stage now. My price range for a home is from $30,000 - $130,000

I'm thinking of maybe coming to Georgia in the summer to see the area. I'm been to Atlanta but it's was a long time ago.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:15 AM

523 posts, read 2,628,971 times
Why would anyone move to Ga, they have state income Tax, Expensive car tags, State income tax on capital gains, and car insurance especially is high around Atlanta. I lived outskirts of Atlanta for 2 yrs and moved back to florida. If you want warm weather pick a lower state , that has cheaper cost of living.

Old 03-23-2007, 09:30 AM

2 posts, read 9,491 times
Default there a many areas that could suit

hello lizzie I have family in the Baltimore and I am a native of College Park GA. There are many nice areas here in Atlanta it just depends on what you are looking for. The buck head area is very nice though i would not recomend you move their if you are planning on retiring. Its kind of an up beat city type area. Yes there are some very nice neighbor hoods there. The douglasville and marietta Area are also extremely nice they are about a 15-20 minute drive to the city and about 30 -45 minute commute to the airport. Moderator cut: advertising Best of luck and enjoy your retirement.

Last edited by Marka; 03-23-2007 at 10:04 AM..

Old 03-23-2007, 12:10 PM

233 posts, read 1,135,835 times
The suburbs of Atlanta from what I have read here seem to be good places. I have only lived in Columbus and Savannah, GA, so I can't really help you out too much. I interviewed in Maryland (Aberdeen Proving Grounds) when I was still working as a chemist. The housing was outrageous! There are a lot of knowledge people on here that can give you a better picture of these areas. Im just posting to bump you back up to get noticed and wish you the best of luck.

Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 PM

61 posts, read 325,999 times
Default Expensive car tags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
Expensive car tags, State income tax on capital gains, and car insurance especially is high around Atlanta.
I pay $20 a year for my auto tag and I have wildlife tag with an eagle on it. I don't consider that expensive.

My auto insurance is very low as well, but I donít live in the metro Atlanta area.

Old 03-23-2007, 01:21 PM

275 posts, read 1,187,927 times
Georgia is a beautiful state with the mountains in the northern part of the state and a little bit of beaches in the southeastern part.

My wife moved here from up north (new hampshire) and with a few exceptions really, really likes it. Again, do your research on what's best for you. I could suggest the greater Augusta Metro area....more specifically Evans, Martinez, Columbia County. You could get a really nice home in this area for 130k and less....which is one reason I have yet to move up north! Anyways....any specific questions on this area I mentioned I would be glad to help.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:06 PM

22 posts, read 84,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizie1100 View Post
Hi I'm a 59 yr old female and thinking of relocating to Georgia. I know little about Georgia and wanted to find out the best areas in which to live, I don't want to live in a high crime area. I currently work for the Federal Gov. and thinking of transferring to retire there. I would like to purchase a home in Georgia. I currently live in Maryland and the cost of living and homes is off the charts. Can anyone give me some advise?
I have had real estate clients from the Maryland area, who purchased homes-they like GA! What type of advise? I mean what is it you REALLY want to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or