U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 02:47 AM

11,979 posts, read 16,703,857 times

Advertisements

Forsyth County- specifically South Forsyth- has some of the best public schools in the country. When I graduated 2 years ago, our foreign language program was 2nd to none (I got to Spanish 7 and the year after I graduated, they had a Spanish 8 and 9) and we had an excellent math department as well with a high pass rate in AP Calc BC.

Personally, I vastly preferred going to school with immigrants. It really enriched my educational experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 04:08 PM

65 posts, read 341,401 times
Jackson County is nice and getting nicer. It is mostly rural, but very pretty, and the small towns are growing. You can choose to live on the south side of the county and be close to Athens, live on the west side and be close to Atlanta/Gwinnett, or live on the northeast side and be closer to the mountains and the northeast GA lakes. The Jefferson River Road corridor is a GOLD MINE because it is quiet, secluded, and runs through the most scenic area of Jackson County, and it is largely undeveloped. It also offers easy access to Athens and Jefferson. Unfortunately, there aren't many outdoor recreation activities, but you can drive to places within 45 min- 1 hr that do have those qualities.

I also like Habersham County, except for Cornelia, which is becoming overrun with illegals which have moved up the road from Gainesville. Clarkesville and Demorest are nice small towns. If you want to be "around mountains" but not in them, this is your best bet. The bypass that runs through Habersham, US 23/441, offers easy access to Atlanta, as well as a quick jump up to Rabun County and the W. North Carolina mountains. Cornelia has most of the modern conveniences you want, but as I said before, I wouldn't want to live there. There is a huge movie theater on the Habersham bypass. There are many hiking trails in Habersham, but I don't think there is much else in the way of outdoor recreation.

If you want to see some serious mountain scenery, and are willing to pay a pretty penny for it, Rabun County is beautiful. The county seat of Clayton is small but growing and has a new Wal-mart and Home Depot. If you are a realtor, you would do well to get into business selling property in Rabun. If you do want bigger-city conveniences, though, Atlanta and Greenville are a good 2 hours away, although I think Asheville is something more like an hour and then some. The closest movie theater is Franklin, NC, 30 miles north of Clayton. Outdoor recreation opportunities are endless - hiking, biking, golf, and the Chatooga River are all common activites in Rabun Co. There are two state parks!

None of these areas I have mentioned have any crime problems. Crime is almost nonexistent in most of N. GA, but gets worse as you move towards ATL.

Last edited by jhsrichards; 01-02-2008 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: None

Old 02-20-2008, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 18,206 times
I grew up in Dalton GA and graduated from Dalton High in 1973. There was a sorority in the high school then. You were voted in. Now that I look back, how ridiculous. Of course, my family didn't have money, so I wasn't voted in. Did it ruin my life? Absolutely not!!

I moved back and lived in Dalton for a short period of time in 2003 - 2004. I would recommend moving somewhere else. Personally, there are several things that you can't get past. The housing market is way over priced for a small town. The hispanics have taken over the town and have ruined the city public schools. It's great for the carpet mills labor force. I worked at the Wal-Mart off of I-75 and have never been so poorly treated by anyone as the hispanics that came to shop. It totally changed my opinion of that group of people. It's who you know in Dalton. It tends to be a snobby place to live. They have benefitted from being off of I-75 and have many of the conveniences of a bigger city. With it being near the mountains, it does have some really pretty areas.

Live somewhere else. You'll be glad you did.

We live in Douglasville (Paulding County) and love it. We purchased a new two-story home for under $200k with 3/4 acre. It's very quiet and the people are very friendly. Fortunately, we aren't overrun with illegals. Paulding county is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation. Our crime rate is very low compared to other areas of metro Atlanta.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:20 AM

101 posts, read 311,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_ga_girl View Post
I grew up in Dalton GA and graduated from Dalton High in 1973. There was a sorority in the high school then. You were voted in. Now that I look back, how ridiculous. Of course, my family didn't have money, so I wasn't voted in. Did it ruin my life? Absolutely not!!
Hahaha, I graduated from Dalton in 2002 and the sorority is still there. I was smart enough to make it vocal I did NOT want to be chosen. Girls were CRYING because they weren't chosen. I wasn't and went on the have a great senior year and spent 5 years at UGA in a great sorority.

Ok, topic. I lived in Dalton my whole life, minus my years away at school. It has its ups and downs. Of course, being 23 and back in the area, I think it sucks. But that is because I'm used to living in places like Athens and Birmingham and I'm most likely moving to Memphis in the coming weeks.

It has a small town feel to it, which can be a downside. Speaking from my experience in high school(you have have to remember, I've been gone, aside from a couple of summer and christmas breaks, for the past 5.5 years), if you came from a well known family with money, you were made. There can be a very clique-y feel to the town. There is a cycle, which I am determined not to be a part of, that I see happening with the people I went to school with now. They grow up in Dalton(and usually their parents did the same), move away to school, come back and marry each other and start the process over. Everything is "My dad was QB back in..." "My mom was a cheerleader...", your typical small town thing.

Personal rant over, it is not a terrible town to raise a family in. Yes, we have Hispanics. But people need to accept the fact that this is a large part of our culture. Most are hardworking families that are here doing the jobs you and I wouldn't want to do. There are areas of town you can avoid.

I find the town boring and get annoyed by the fact I have to drive to Chattanooga for decent shopping. However, the location IS ideal. Just south of Chattanooga(maybe 20-30 minutes, depends on where you are going); you can be at a large mall in Kennesaw in 45 minutes. They are trying to build up downtown and have opened a couple of cute restuarants and shops. There are maybe 2 bars besides places like Applebees and Chili's. This was the biggest shock to me after spending 5 years in Athens!

Someone mentioned Chatsworth--If you like simple, country living, it is a great place. My parents are from there and we live there now. Not a whole lot to do, but it is growing. But by growing, I mean we're getting a Zaxby's and Bojangles. There have been rumors of a Walmart; right now you have to drive the 15-20 minutes into Dalton for something like that. We have a plethora of dollar stores---it is a bit ridiculous. But it is a beautiful area and, while I'm scrambling to get out so I can start my career, I do like coming home for a few days and just relaxing. It is close to Elijay and I LOVE going over the mountains to grab some apples. I also like taking the back roads over to Athens; It is a pretty drive and you bypass the Atlanta traffic.

Dalton Schools--I think they're still pretty good. I graduated in 2002 and went to UGA as did about 12 others. My sister graduated last year and although she isn't the "scholarly" type, was accepted down at W.Ga. It really is what you make of it. There are also private schools.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:55 PM

10,887 posts, read 9,866,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
If you like N Ga, I am going to suggest Chickamauga and LaFayette. They are both small homey towns that are close enough to Chattanooga and Dalton to provide decent employment (drive is 15-40 minutes) and in a low crime area w/few residents that are non-caucasion if that is an issue.

These really are wonderful places! When I went to look for a house I had to go alone as my husband was working. I stayed at a hotel in Ft Oglethorpe and scouted around from there. It seems as if every single person I talked to was really interested in helping me find a place! I actually met someone who suggested someone who knew someone who had the house we are moving to! (Kinda confusing.....I know! ) These people actually took the time to get on the phone and call around to people they knew for me! I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful that was for me being alone in a strange place and trying to drive here and there.

Can't wait to move!!!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:43 PM

2 posts, read 16,601 times
How would you compare Paulding County to Bartow County? We like Bartow because if my husband would need to travel to Tennessee for employment it wouldn't be too far. We like Paulding because it is a little closer to family. And what are the best cities to pick from. We'd be looking to buy instead of rent and we're looking to be moved by the end of July. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-11-2008, 03:43 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,206,652 times
Default North Georgia - Hit or Miss

In some ways, North Georgia in it's entirety suffers from Atlanta's growth. This is my second go round in Atlanta (97 to present) as I lived here from 83-89 and then came back in 97.

In a nutshell it's like this:

Move to the ever changing outskirts of Atlanta.....go further, and it becomes the "land of the related". While it's pristine and natural beauty is wonderful, GED's abound and it becomes trying over time. While EVERYONE loves the natural beauty, NO ONE lives in it so keep that in mind....you are in the park for an hour or two, then you have to go home and live.

By that I mean work. There are few jobs outside of Atlanta, ergo the massive population boom within. If you spend time in Floyd you might get tired of the folks that go barefoot into establishments.....

The services, schools, migrant labor are just going to be a fact of life anywhere in North Georgia or America for that matter (except up north, unions tend to run them off...finally, unions good for something...go figure). Fannin county had a nice school, good community, etc...etc..but it's not cheap unless you go to the edges....Rabun, Hiawassee and Habersham areas are wonderful....one problem...whadddya do for work? Again, no one gets to hang out in the mountains for a paycheck sooooooooooooo.....

Consider Jackson County. The person that mentioned it earlier had some good points. It's relatively close to the jobs, has a nice rural feel to it, crime is manageable (at this point) but it too, will become the next frontier then it's off to Banks County.....wait 5 years, repeat.....that's kind of how it goes around here.....

A county starts off nice, then it's wal-mart, Home Depot, Lowes, every flippin' chain of sandwich known to mankind, few bars....then the apartments, then the crime, then the time to move......

Case in point....in 1983, The Gwinnett Mall was all the rage. You couldn't pick up a paper and not see every single home development with the all too familiar tag line "minutes from the mall"....like a house of worship.....anyway, how many want to go there anymore? It's been that bad for 10 years....soooooo, it took about 15 years from Lilburn, Lawrenceville, Collins Hill, ad nauseum to go from "desirable" to "pack an uzi".....15 years......

Hate this all you want but it usually takes 30 years for most neighborhoods to deteriorate around the country.....it seems like you always have to fight this migration as America continues to fill up....not a criticism mind you, just a real life observation over 25 years......

Alpharetta was pristine and beautiful too 20 years ago...there were 2 greasy spoons to eat in....you had to drive to Roswell or Norcross for anything....Forsyth County? It was where one could throw a brick at a civil rights leader and get away with it (1986 folks)....Now? Everyone is spying Dawson, White, Lumpkin, Rabun, and Paulding Counties.....

I guess what I am saying is that if you move towards Dalton, you will be in a quieter place but, God help you if either loses a job....you will truly learn the meaning of "commute".

If I had to do something in your position I would look at Jackson, maybe North Paulding, or error towards Chattanooga....everywhere in between lacks
the basics for survival.....

Besides, you don't sound like the type that likes to do poultry or carpet work? And don't forget, while it is always easy to buy a home, it becomes incredibly difficult to sell one in places like Chatsworth, Elijay, Blue Ridge, etc.....and someday, you or your decendants are going to face that fact....

Live closer to the cities. The 2 hour visit in the mountains is only an hour and a half away.....and for the record, while crime is considerable in Atlanta, it's not so much so in the suburbs.....at least the good ones anyway...

Good luck!

Think about it.....

Old 04-25-2008, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 11,955 times
Default Can U believe this Person?

Do not make me laugh seems that you have a lot of information ,, but the truth is that Speaking with false information is lying same as BUSH.
Can you provide data that shows that crime increases when illegal population increases or IS your own Racist tough,,and Why racist.. Cause the issue that a person knows another language does not make them Illegal, they are simple more educated. Now About education ... Seems that you are not well educated and do not know a second language.. cause in Europe at least in average people know two languages , between english, german, spanish, french and Italian etc... So is not having translators is helping People to learn a Second language which include people that only knows one Language English. And seems you make generalization ,, as using the quote... Evil assuming all Illegals represent the evil.... if this is the case ...
Would you think that the Companies, households, institutions etc, would employed "EVIL" people, Seems not clear unless assuming also that all those Legal citizens that employed them an allow them are EVIL person.. So your assumptions generalize and was not a good quote please do not try to run for any major position or something and Please read about history, America was formed by immigrants. I hope you the best and learn to be tolerant or educate your self better.
wherever is easy for you...

For me I already know 4 languages..
And have Two master degrees.

AR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
The important element is that CRIME increases as the illegal population increases. Plus you should consider that education quality decreases. The schools find it difficult to offer a quality education and still provide funds for translators.

The illegals try to hide behind the same laws which they break. It's a lose-lose proposition for both the town and the illegals who settle there. Ellijay is just one of many towns who elected to turn a blind eye toward illegal immigrants.

We need some "undocumented border patrol agents" to turn in the illegals. Someone once said, "all that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." We have too many good people who just turn a blind eye...you know, like George Bush.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:03 AM

11 posts, read 29,392 times
"a low crime area w/few residents that are non-caucasion if that is an issue"

What??????? How about a cave? or maybe move to "all Caucasian Denmark, Sweden, etc. Learn to spell the word first, though.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:22 AM

2 posts, read 13,755 times
Default Need honest info on Kennesaw, Marietta, and Acworth

My husband is taking a new position with a medical company. His territory will cover Tn. and Georgia. I presently reside on the Gulf Coast (Baldwin County Alabama). I teach in a school district that is top notch. I am looking for the BEST schools from Marietta up. Plan to rent first, to make sure we are in the right area. Can afford up to $1800.00 a month. My children are 14 and 12, so school is my upmost priority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or