U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-28-2007, 05:27 PM

18 posts, read 122,806 times
Question Best places to live in north GA

My husband and I checked out the Dalton area a couple weeks ago and really liked the area: it looked clean and we loved the terrain in the area. However, a kind board member informed me that it's been overrun with poverty from the carpet mills. So, I would like some recommendations on the best towns/counties in north GA (Cherokee & Pickens counties were recommended). The things most important to us are:

Schools
Safety (not overrun with crime)
Job availability and pay (I'm a realtor, husband is soon to be a teacher)
Small town feel, but modern conveniences (Wal Mart, Lowes, theaters, etc.)
We want to be around mountains
Cost of living
Plenty of things to do outdoors (parks, bike/hiking trails, etc.)

Thanks so much for any input.

Brandy
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 12:33 PM

24 posts, read 2,989 times
I would highly recommend you listen carefully to the advice. The Dalton area and Ellijay area have a very high concentration of illegal aliens and the poverty and disruption in the schools is not a positive environment.

The elected officals in the Jasper area have welcomed legal immigrants and this area is a very positive place to live with excellent schools.

Old 03-01-2007, 09:15 PM

18 posts, read 122,806 times
Thanks for the input DD. Jasper is actually further south than we hoped for, but I appreciate your advice and we'll definitely look into the area.

Brandy

Old 03-07-2007, 02:41 PM

24 posts, read 2,989 times
If Jasper is too far south, look in the Blairsville, Union County area. Blue Ridge can be too expensive. There are many nice places in the North Georgia area, but I would avoid, Chatsworth, Dalton, and Ellijay. Unless you already speak Spanish and you don't mind living in an area which is approximately 25% illegal alien.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:40 AM

2,952 posts, read 104,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
If Jasper is too far south, look in the Blairsville, Union County area. Blue Ridge can be too expensive. There are many nice places in the North Georgia area, but I would avoid, Chatsworth, Dalton, and Ellijay. Unless you already speak Spanish and you don't mind living in an area which is approximately 25% illegal alien.

I am surprised, this is one of the areas I am considering moving to ( Ellijay and Chatsworth). . Just wondering if they are illegal how do they know the percentage?
Also, where do all the illegals live in this area specifically? And are they in houses, apartments. Any info is appreciated.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:14 PM

2,350 posts, read 7,226,167 times
If you like N Ga, I am going to suggest Chickamauga and LaFayette. They are both small homey towns that are close enough to Chattanooga and Dalton to provide decent employment (drive is 15-40 minutes) and in a low crime area w/few residents that are non-caucasion if that is an issue.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 AM

1 posts, read 33,281 times
A lot of people are saying a lot of negative things about Dalton. Personally, I don't think it is a bad place to live. Yes, there are illegal hispanics living here, but most are here for work. Dalton is a nice city, for the most part. There are areas that are run down, but they probably aren't any area that you would ever go. Dalton has a lot of places to eat and shop. Historic Downtown is awesome. It has lots of little shops and places to eat. I would agree that the schools are not that great. My sister just recently became a teacher and wanted to teach in Catoosa County because the schools are better. There are not as many hispanics in Catoosa County. And it is about 15-20 minutes from Dalton, pretty much right between Dalton and Chattanooga, TN. Dalton is a nice city to live. Just drive around it and you will know that. For the most part it is clean and has actually gotten better over the past couple of years. Dalton has a lot of history and has the highest percentage of millionaires in the nation (due to the carpet industry). I mean, even the Shaw's live here (well, in Tunnel Hill). If it was that bad, with all the money they have, don't you think they would have moved further away?

Hopefully I helped a little!

Oh yeah, and I have never had to speak spanish...I don't even know spanish! So, that would not really be an issue.

Plus, we have 2 wal-marts, Home Depot, Lowes, 2 K-Marts, Sears, Belk, JC Penney, outlet stores, and is close enough to Calhoun (outlet mall with Old Navy, Gap, Polo, Nike...etc) and Chattanooga (Best Buy, Health Food Stores, Tennessee Aquarium, Creative Discovery Museum, Tennessee Riverboat, Dillards, Belk, JC Penney, Sears, Abercrombie, Old Navy, Barnes and Noble, Kohls, Target, Gap, Ann Taylor, and has downtown where the Riverbend Festival is held every year) so shopping would not be an issue. Unless you are looking for like Macy's and things like that which are in Atlanta, which is about an hour to an hour and a half southeast.

Last edited by tarynnicole; 03-10-2007 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-14-2007, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 32,424 times
Default best places to live in north ga

Run like fire from Dalton Georgia. The carpet barons have given it away to illegal aliens for the sake of cheap labor.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 AM

1,372 posts, read 3,618,584 times
as a fellow realtor i will be happy to let you know that I think Paulding county is especially nice it is up and coming alot of new development and low crime the schools crct scores arent the highest in the world but then alot of Paulding county is back woods but I live in Acworth it is on the border of Cobb county and only about 10 minutes away from Cherokee countyThe schools that my children attend are all fairly new schools the elementary is 3 yrs old the middle is 5 yrs old and they are building a new high school as we speak we have alot of new subdivisions coming up and there are also established homes hope this helps

Old 04-15-2007, 01:08 PM

6 posts, read 39,783 times
I didn't know Ellijay had become so heavily populated with illegals. I went to high school there and that really surprises me. I enjoyed living there.

Wayne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia