Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:47 PM

9 posts, read 39,731 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, my family wants to relocate from Michigan to GA and needs to find a school for a special needs child 11 yrs old with spinal bifida. Which school system is better? Also, I looking for a ranch style home in a area thats great for family living. Thanking you in advance.

sue

Last edited by sholly6; 06-17-2007 at 10:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 06:57 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,403,792 times
Arrow Contact the State DOE

GA Dept of Education/Exceptional Students>>>>
Welcome to the Georgia Department of Education - Exceptional Students

There are 5/6 counties/school systems in the metro Atlanta area and services may vary.

If you had any idea of which part of the metro area you might choose that would be helpful. Many transplants choose either Cobb County or Gwinnett. Cobb is NW and Gwinnett NE of the city of Atlanta.

hth

sls

Old 06-18-2007, 07:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,606,700 times
Sue

Are you dependent on medicaid or a waiver for your child's services? If so, please be aware that things are very difficult here in Georgia right now for families of children with disabilities...

Please let me know and I will provide more information.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
GA Dept of Education/Exceptional Students>>>>
Welcome to the Georgia Department of Education - Exceptional Students

There are 5/6 counties/school systems in the metro Atlanta area and services may vary.

If you had any idea of which part of the metro area you might choose that would be helpful. Many transplants choose either Cobb County or Gwinnett. Cobb is NW and Gwinnett NE of the city of Atlanta.

hth

sls

Thanks for the information, I called the school system today to get some informations on the school and it was pretty helpful. I really appreciate the comments it allows me to make better decisions.

Sue

Last edited by sholly6; 06-19-2007 at 04:30 PM..

Old 06-19-2007, 03:24 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,418 times
Lastminutemom,

Will you please elaborate on your above post?
Thanks!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Sue

Are you dependent on medicaid or a waiver for your child's services? If so, please be aware that things are very difficult here in Georgia right now for families of children with disabilities...

Please let me know and I will provide more information.
Yes he's dependent on medicaid and will have to transfer it from Michigan to Georgia. I was able to inquirer about any special insurance he could receive and the Mylco clinic in Atlanta told me about a Katty Beckett waiver program that is broke right now. So for right now he will continue to be on medicaid.
Any other information would be of helpful and my decision making.

Thanks,

Sue

Old 06-19-2007, 03:41 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,403,792 times
Thumbs up I'm glad they were helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholly6 View Post
Thanks for the information, I called the school system today to get some informations on the school and it was pretty helpful. I really appreciate the comments it allows me to make my better decisions.

Sue

My heart goes out to you and anyone who is trying to find such assistance.

If you have other questions jusk ask--posters in this forum will try to help.

sls

Old 06-19-2007, 04:16 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,606,700 times
Katie Beckett is a mess right now -- and if your child doesn't already qualify for Medicaid, it can be difficult to do so -- especially if your income is too high.

I would not be totally surprised, if in the next few years, GA doesn't opt out of Beckett -- the federal gov't doesn't require it -- it has become a runaway spending machine --

Right now, if you do get Beckett, you have to reapply every 3 to 6 months -- the full packet -- doctors records, therapist letters, it is a real burded and a real mess.

Additionally, therapy is,as I understand it, only being allocated in a small batch -- and then you have to get approval for more. It has become so burdensome that many therapists have dropped or are considering dropping their contract to accept Medicaid/Beckett patients.

Also, I cannot stress enough, that Georgia public schools don't have a great record with special education students. If you have a good situation where you are, you need to consider whether moving to Georgia is the right strategy.

We have a real shortage of qualified special ed teachers, a real issue in the training of classroom teachers related to mainstreaming and many of our school systems are simply growing so fast, they can't keep up.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
Katie Beckett is a mess right now -- and if your child doesn't already qualify for Medicaid, it can be difficult to do so -- especially if your income is too high.

I would not be totally surprised, if in the next few years, GA doesn't opt out of Beckett -- the federal gov't doesn't require it -- it has become a runaway spending machine --

Right now, if you do get Beckett, you have to reapply every 3 to 6 months -- the full packet -- doctors records, therapist letters, it is a real burded and a real mess.

Additionally, therapy is,as I understand it, only being allocated in a small batch -- and then you have to get approval for more. It has become so burdensome that many therapists have dropped or are considering dropping their contract to accept Medicaid/Beckett patients.

Also, I cannot stress enough, that Georgia public schools don't have a great record with special education students. If you have a good situation where you are, you need to consider whether moving to Georgia is the right strategy.

We have a real shortage of qualified special ed teachers, a real issue in the training of classroom teachers related to mainstreaming and many of our school systems are simply growing so fast, they can't keep up.
Wow so mainstreaming is tough I'll let my mom know, when I talked to the Atlanta school system they told me that all of the school would he qualify for would be able to handle his needs. He's has spinal bifida and have to go to a school with a nurse to catheterize him every three to four hours during the day. So We will consider moving to Georgia but right now in Michigan the economy is dead as a door knob. people can't get jobs, the Detroit Public School systems is going bankrupt, and we thought maybe now we should jump ship lol, so is cob county school system back as well or is Atlanta schools system?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
My heart goes out to you and anyone who is trying to find such assistance.

If you have other questions jusk ask--posters in this forum will try to help.

sls
Thanks I sure will post I want to know everything before I move to Georgia. what school system is your child in and do you like or hate it and why? And do you have kids in regular school? I home school one of my sons 15 yrs old, and my 8 yr old is in regular classes with some reading and math help.

Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia