Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2008, 10:47 AM

1 posts, read 4,000 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, i would first off like to thank you for your help before you reply.

I was driving down jimmy carter yesterday in atlanta/norcross georgia when i came into the norcross district. Right before i got to the intersection i saw a sign for photo enforced red lights. I came upon a red light and stopped for a minute. I was looking for something in my truck and was looking away from the intersection. As I looked up i saw a green light. I began to pull through unfortunately i didn't look closely enough and i saw that it was a left turn signal only. I saw a lady pulling out on the other side but continued to pull through because my car was already in the intersection. Nothing happened and I continued on my journey and the light that i believed to be green but was still red turned green a few seconds after i had passed through. I was in the lane right next to the green turning lane. My question for you guys is since the city of norcross is a photo enforced one will i receive a ticket? would my car even register on the sensors for a photograph since i pulled out a significant amount of time after the light had turned red?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 02:51 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Most photo enforced red lights require that the vehicle be traveling at predetermined speed. The fact that you were stopped and began to move again probably prevented the machine from taking your picture. The trigging mechanism is generally programmed to detect only during the times the light is red and is generally scheduled to flash by radar at 10 mph and up others use in pavement loops that also must be able to detect weight differential and autos moving to slowly confuse them and they will not take a picture.

The fact the left turn signal was on also gives you considerable leeway that this mechanism was already switched to the cross traffic depending on the intersection and distances between each one. Then factor in medians and such, the variables are basically endless. If no or small median you are probably safe. Most photo enforced intersections only enforce the red light opposing directions and not all 4+. Depends on the set up and placement of equipment.

Basically, if you saw no flash you are probably getting away scott free. Considering that you weren't paying attention to what was going on, which is more wreckless than an proactive but careless driver speeding through a yellow light though; you deserve the ticket. As much as I hate to say that I have to. You were in complete disregard for everyones life on the road hurriedly driving while rummaging through your truck. This kind of distracted driving is what continues to take privileges away such as driving while on the phone. GA may not have it yet but its coming thanks to all the idiots that can't place their main focus on the most important task at hand.

Old 12-24-2008, 11:25 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaukasian23 View Post
I was looking for something in my truck and was looking away from the intersection. As I looked up i saw a green light. I began to pull through unfortunately i didn't look closely enough and i saw that it was a left turn signal only. I saw a lady pulling out on the other side but continued to pull through because my car was already in the intersection.
It depends really on the system that's being used.

kaukasian23 is most likely right in their post, but from what I understand there is more than one type of system that is used, depending on the city/town that uses them. Many use single-shot triggered photo cams. Some though, use continuous video that snag a frame from the video. If that's the case, yes, you were caught doing it. You'll know when you receive your ticket in the mail if you do, and yes, it's 98% impossible to get it dismissed unless you can prove aliens took control of your body.

Lesson: When you drive - DRIVE. Don't "rummage", don't talk on the phone, don't read or eat - d.r.i.v.e.

Old 12-27-2008, 04:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Don't sweat it. If you get a "love letter", pay the ticket and get on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia