U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-02-2007, 07:02 PM

4 posts, read 36,415 times
Default wealthiest towns in GA

hi, can anyone tell me some of the wealthy/up-scale neighborhoods and towns in Georgia? i'm curious...

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-04-2007, 02:33 AM

4 posts, read 36,101 times
Default Wealth in Georgia

Around Atlanta Buckhead, Dunwoody and Fayetteville have a lot of real wealth. Gwinnett appears to have the heavily mortgaged kind of wealth. (a personal observation). Fayette County is/was home to many of the Delta pilots and other employees. In northeast Georgia around Lakes Seed, Rabun and Burton you will also find retirement/2nd homes highly priced. Atlanta metro area has a very large number of millionaires where you wouldn't suspect. On the northwest side of Georgia look around Big Canoe. In the middle of the state you'll find old weatlh in Macon. All around Macon are pine tree plantations owned by the paper companies and to the east of there are poorer counties controlled by companies with kaolin mining interests. On the coast, Savannah and areas like Skidaway Island and Saint Simons Island. Saint Mary's is an up and coming area but probably has a great deal of military retirees.

Unread 03-05-2007, 06:20 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,535,466 times
I'd have to agree with Lake Burton - those houses on that lake must start in the low 3's; some going well over 10M. Lake Rabun also has some expensive homes on it, but not quite like Lake Burton. I was talking to the owner of a grading company in Clayton who does some work in the Lake Burton area - one of the multi-million dollar mansions was owned by an English family who only uses it two weeks out of the year, has year round staff to care for it and other then letting friends use it occasionally, they just let it sit for the rest of the year. It's quite an aristocratic little area of NE Georgia.

Unread 03-05-2007, 07:26 AM

6,536 posts, read 10,607,308 times
Interesting thing about Lake Burton, you can't actually own the property your home is standing on. You lease it from the power company. There are also strict regulations on the footprint size of your home there. I don't know if this practice has changed in recent years, probably has, but in the past, if someone purchased an older cabin on the lake they would get a permit, burn it down, and put the new, larger/taller home on its foundation.

I've been going there for most of my life, until I got too busy to make the trip up there conveniently. Doesn't make me aristocratic - just old and cranky.

Unread 03-05-2007, 09:55 AM
GP2

81 posts, read 720,218 times
Just a correction...According to a recent study and article in the Macon Telegraph, Monroe county is now the wealthiest county in the midstate, followed by Houston County....

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:03 AM

1,418 posts, read 6,535,466 times
Yep, something like 90% of the water front properties on Lakes Rabun and Burton are on 99 year leases from the power company. Actually, there are some pieces of waterfront land that you can own - I'm not sure how those pieces came about, but some people do actually own their property.

I'm not aristocratic either - just rent a pontoon boat a couple of times a year and troll around on Lake Burton for fun. I suppose though if I lived on the lake with in a mansion with a 3 boat boathouse with upstairs guestroom as a "getaway", you might have to call me Prince Prichard.

Unread 03-05-2007, 10:13 AM

6,536 posts, read 10,607,308 times
If she could afford it, Queen Ellie's place would be far from public view. Might look a lot like a cabin that needs burning down.

Unread 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,792,078 times
West Paces Ferry/Northside/Vinings/Smynings area (Smynings means the part of Vinings that has spilled into Smyrna).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia