Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM

11 posts, read 52,381 times

Advertisements

Hello, wonderful and helpful Georgians! I want to say again how much I appreciate the kindness and willingness to help shown here...it's like being back in my 'homeland'. Looks I'll be taking a road trip up to GA in about 2 weeks...whee! Perhaps, if my instincts are right, it will work out and I can return to a place of beauty and kindness which I have so longed for.

So the route seems pretty basic...get on FL turnpike, then merge onto I-75 North, and follow that until I get to the 350 Battlefield exit. Best I can figure, anyway.

One of the things I adore most is the 'oddities' of GA--I'm quite proud of my weird heritage, and would appreciate any recommendations for must-sees/photo-ops along the way, preferably easily off of 75 North.

Also, it's about a 10 hour drive or so not counting any stops; am trying to decide whether to drive straight through or make it a 2 day trip. If a 2-day, can you recommend a good place to stop along the way? I was thinking Milledgeville, because there are at least 6 'weird' things I'd love to see/document there, but of course I'd appreciate any suggestions of nice towns to stop in, whether it be for oddities or beauty or anything that is pure Georgia, to collect for my memory book. Milledgeville is a bit out of the way of 75, but nothing undoable. So what do you think?

Thank you so much, and any other advice on the trip, from people who may have traveled that vicinity recently, would be much appreciated. Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:10 PM

Bumpity bump! Will be leaving soon...would appreciate any recs for great places to stop along the loooong I75N drive from central Fl to Ga/TN border...especially if easily accessible from interstate. Places that are quirky, pretty, weird, good for walking around/leg stretching/photo ops/day trips/overnights...thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,286,008 times
I wish I had some info for you! Just hated to see that you had no responses yet! If I come up with some ideas, I will let you know! Have a wonderful and safe trip!

Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
This doesn't really qualify as "weird" but if you love scenery and peach ice cream, there is a great place not too far off 75 just before Macon called Lane Packing Company where you get to see them process pecans and peaches. Its a quaint little spot on GA96.

Just take exit 142, make a left (going west) towards Fort Valley. It should be up the road about 5 minutes or so on the right.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:27 AM

90 posts, read 335,891 times
Default AAA (Triple A)

AAA just sent me a touring book and map of various drives through Georgia
You should call them! Good luck. Kaci

PS: If you don't have time to receive the touring map in the mail, they may have it in downloadable form.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:42 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
I make it a 2 day trip now (i got old i guess lol). I95 to jacksonville, sleep over there and then across I10 onto I75 into GA the next day.

Central florida to atlanta is less than 10 hours. I've taken miami - atlanta in 7 hours (dont ask). Orlando is at most 7-8 hours today

Old 01-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Wow! Thats incredible. 7 hours from Miami to Atlanta?! Even going 85 it still takes me at least 7-7 and a half from Savannah to Miami, and another 3-4 to Atlanta. And its pretty much a straight shot down 95 from where I'm at vs. 75 to the turnpike. Props for that!! haha

Old 01-17-2009, 02:48 PM

61 posts, read 355,839 times
There is a community of Amish Mennonites near Montezuma about 14 miles west of I-75. The focal point is a cafeteria called Yoder's Deitsch Haus which has a bakery and gift shop.

The Rose Hill cemetery in Macon is near I-75 and there are some quirky graves such as the Little Fireman, Little Martha, two of the Allman Brothers, etc. It is a must stop place to visit.

The Whistle Stop Café in Juliette where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed (with the grave in back) makes for a nice lunch time visit.

Just north of Milledgeville is Rock Eagle, a bird made of rocks by mound builder Indians close to two thousand years ago. You view it from a tower.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Eagle View Post
There is a community of Amish Mennonites near Montezuma about 14 miles west of I-75. The focal point is a cafeteria called Yoder's Deitsch Haus which has a bakery and gift shop.

The Rose Hill cemetery in Macon is near I-75 and there are some quirky graves such as the Little Fireman, Little Martha, two of the Allman Brothers, etc. It is a must stop place to visit.

The Whistle Stop Café in Juliette where the movie "Fried Green Tomatoes" was filmed (with the grave in back) makes for a nice lunch time visit.

Just north of Milledgeville is Rock Eagle, a bird made of rocks by mound builder Indians close to two thousand years ago. You view it from a tower.
Excellent suggestions! Something I didn't even know. Next time I'm in that part of Georgia, I'm definitely gonna have to stop and "smell the roses" so to speak.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 AM

Default Thanks, and how would you do this?

Thanks to everyone for the support and suggestions! I learned not only about places I hadn't heard of, but new facts about the ones I thought I already knew about, so thank you all so much!

And still appreciate any more suggestions...I guess I'm looking to leave Wed/Thurs and aside from all the other stuff that comes with planning a trip, I'm trying to make some sort of itinerary to follow on the way up to be able to follow...there are about 6 different books/sites I'm getting info from of neat places..I suppose I should perhaps assign each a letter, then put a GA map on my wall and find where each of them are, then number them in order, and try to align them with exits from I-75....is that how you'd do it? I've never done anything for pleasure before and I don't ant this turning into another stress fest, since that's pretty much been the story of my life!

I figure my 'stay overnight' place should be in a cluster of activity...since there are things I want to see/do in Milledgeville/Macon/Eaton/Juliette, and these are sort of close together, I thought about staying in Milledgeville--assuming they still have the self-guided walking tour and dusk ghost tours--and perhaps 'travel out' from there for a day or 2 before gettingback on the Interstate...not sure! Eeek! How would you do it? Heeeeelp!

I eally CANNOT WAIT to get back that calmer sense of Southern living...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia