Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,733 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are going to retire in 2009 and have been looking for homes in Georgia. Found homes in Jefferson that we liked but know nothing about the area. Looking for low crime, good health care and a great area to retire. Also have been reading about water issues in Georgia. Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 05:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Why Georgia. There are other places with better tax advantages. Also, Jackson County is a fast growing county, too fast, and their tax districts are a nightmare. If I were retiring, again, I would look at Eastern TN or North Alabama especially around the Huntsville area. Knoxville in TN.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,399,983 times
Now Sun City Braselton / Deaton Creek is just downright outstanding.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 PM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
One of the top retirement developments in Georgia. Homes are still selling well in this economy.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:57 AM

201 posts, read 540,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
One of the top retirement developments in Georgia. Homes are still selling well in this economy.
I agree.
Why couldn't Columbus have taken a tip from this progressive community rather than trying to be progressive on a slum budget?
Maybe the Selig group or Mr Humphries has the answer.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 PM

10 posts, read 37,781 times
If you like i can send you some houses in our area and surrounding to give you an idea of what Hinesville and Savannah are have to offer

Old 01-14-2009, 07:11 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Whatever u decide, rent for a year before buying. In this economy, you buy, u stuck. As I have said before on this forum, my wife and I relocated to one of the most pristine, no crime, low tax parts of North GA and lasted for 2 years---time enough to sell and have the tax advantage. And, we knew the area well, or so we thought. There is no place without politics, problems, surprises and disappointments.

My 2 cents.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:04 PM

726 posts, read 3,601,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia View Post
And you have a reason why the grandchildren can not visit

Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Why Georgia. There are other places with better tax advantages. Also, Jackson County is a fast growing county, too fast, and their tax districts are a nightmare. If I were retiring, again, I would look at Eastern TN or North Alabama especially around the
Huntsville area. Knoxville in TN.

Why Georgia?

Because Georgia is generally regarded as one of the best states for retirement. By far! I'm really not aware of other states that offer more tax advantages for seniors. Georgia is certainly near the top of the list.

Here's some of the tax advantages:

1. A single retired person ( 62 and older ) pays no Georgia income tax on the first $35,000 of income.

2. It's my understanding that a married couple ( 62 and older ) MAY have tax exemptions up to the first $90,000 of income. I was surfing the Internet several months ago and ran into that statistic. That's what I read, but that was just one source. That's what I recall. Certainly a married senior couple would pay no Georgia state income tax with an annual income much higher than $35,000. The $35,000 income tax exemption only applies to a SINGLE PERSON. For a married couple, it would be higher.

3. Most Georgia senior citizens can take advantage of the school tax exemption. With this exemption, property taxes are greatly reduced. For example, a $3000 property tax bill would be in the neighborhood of $650 with the school tax ememption.

The school tax exemption is availble to senior citizens generally making less than $75,000 per year. The age does vary a bit from county to county. I think in some/few counties the age is 65 while in other counties the age is 70.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zel Ya View Post

The school tax exemption is availble to senior citizens generally making less than $75,000 per year. The age does vary a bit from county to county. I think in some/few counties the age is 65 while in other counties the age is 70.
Is that from all sources of income or just income from employment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia