Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times

Advertisements

We live in Florida, where I am from, and had planned on moving to northern Maine, where we own some land and where my boyfriend is from. Well, I'm getting cold feet (no pun intended!) I'm not sure I can handle the climate or the long drive to civilization and this move will be a no turning back situation.

I don't know if I can convince him, but Brunswick looks really good for a lot of reasons. Either way, we're selling & leaving Florida.

Do any of you live in downtown Brunswick or have knowledge of the area? We're not concerned with schools or job data, just the real estate & general ambience of the downtown area. Any opinions would be helpful before we go up there in a few weeks. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 08:31 PM

108 posts, read 692,730 times
I am from Florida and I have visited Brunswick when we were looking to relocate. We loved it because it had that Florida feel but with more of a hometown touch. Its a great town to restore old homes. here is website Removed with some neat things happening in town. Also I have many pics if you'll like to see them. Just send me a private message and I'll email them.

Last edited by xxman777; 03-10-2007 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: Commercial Link

Old 04-14-2007, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 21,714 times
Default Looking for advice on Brunswick also.

My husband and I are also looking to relocate. Although we are from MD looking to go south. Our considerations at this time are either Brunswick or Chattanooga (maybe Ringold GA since it's so close to TN.) I have been told the downtown area of Brunswick is loaded with older homes full of charm. We are very concerned with the schools as we have elementary and middle school aged kids. Also job market...particulary fine dining restaurants...any of those in the area?

We have family moving to Chattanooga and visited the area last week. Unfortunately we can't make a trip to Brunswick just yet. I love the shore and the moss covered oak trees, but we'd be there with no support system. At least in Chattanooga we'd have family, although city life is not really for me. Any info about the area would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Charelston is one of our favorite places...too bad it's so expensive!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:40 AM

33 posts, read 151,121 times
I just did a quickie several day trip to look at Brunswick and St Mary. I couldnt find a downtown in brunswick, but then I wasnt sure what to look for, and what was nice for housing was along I-95. Brunsiwck did have much more for shopping and so on than St. Mary. The housing I can see isnt far off from Florida prices. Still some bargains but they are headed it looks like the way florida went. Most everything I seen that was comparable to home tastes and neighborhoods that we live in now, were in the high $300 to $400 range so it wasnt a huge bargain. Some savings but the costs of gas to go to a hospital or shopping from St. Mary would eat up any savings we thought we would encounter. ST Marys town was uummmm well lets just say we nearly wet ourselves with laughter over the whole culture difference. Not bad just interesting and well interesting. Living with a senior who requires health care occasionally and hospitals, this left us a bit nervous. If I have to drive to Jacksonville daily then I am in the same boat as I am in Naples with traffic jams and congestion on the roads. It is pretty area and maybe for the young, but scary for someone retiring and who may need to know there is good medical care should they need it. The homes we saw photos of that looked so exciting on real estate web sites were shocking to say the least in person. That brick home that looked like a dream had as I heard expressed on the boards here, cars parked without tires on the lawn and bikes strewn along the road and things that reminded me of "Deliverance", scared me to say the least. So once again I am back to square one. The only truly beautiful place I saw had nice homes, but nothing remarkable to the homes in naples, and the prices and maintance and HOA fees and so on and so on made me think ... did all the crooked money grubbing developers move here and set up shop? Poor St Marys they are soon going to be everything everyone wants to run away from.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:02 AM

1,343 posts, read 5,167,681 times
I went up there, also. Looked like they were trying to re-hab part of downtown, but not succeeding. There were some beautiful old victorians, but they were right next door to shacks with virtually no yard in between. The squares were neglected.

I drove back south on 17 and there were several developments under construction. Houses were in the 250 -300 range.

I couldn't even find downtown St. Mary's! Or maybe I did and didn't know it!

Old 04-24-2007, 12:17 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,140 times
Glynn county GA is a really nice place to live.
If you get out of downtown, there are some beautiful communities. The Marshes of Mackay is probably my favorite older section, but there is a ton of new development as well.
MBG

Old 05-09-2007, 04:38 PM

33 posts, read 151,121 times
Default where are marshes of mckay?

We looked at Osprey Cove and loved it but again driving into Jacksonville for medical attention would get old very fast. I did like the quiet and Osprey was fantastic. The houses were same price as here in Naples but from what I hear the insurance prices are 40% less but you have other costs then we encounter in florida such as car registration fees etc. Were still on the hunt for paradise, quiet, friendly, clean, well cared for homes and family ways of life, respect and courtesy for your neighbors. It has to be out there somewhere without snow and ice attached to it.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:58 PM

2 posts, read 10,326 times
Internette, I feel where your coming from. I don't believe what your looking for is in Glynn County Ga. The hospital in Glynn County is South East Georgia Health System's Brunswick Campus. It's the same old Brunswick Hospital with the same very poor healthcare it's always been inside a new exterior.

Your statement about St. Mary's looking like something out of Deliverance is right along line with a fair description of Brunswick.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 AM

111 posts, read 867,212 times
I haven't commented on this thread because it was started 2+months ago and I figured that the OP was long gone, however, I've got to jump in.

I think the negative statements are a bit extreme.

Since the original question was regarding the downtown area, I will speak to that. The hottest real estate area right now is near downtown in the historical districts of Old Town and Winsor Park. They do sandwich a less than desirable area of town, but that's been my experience in the historic districts of most towns. So, if you're okay with that, you'll love Old Town and Winsor Park.

As far as the downtown business area, Brunswick is very charming. I can't think of another town that I would get out and walk alone in the downtown area, but downtown Brunswick is very safe and quaint. There are many local shops and local restaurants. They are the small town shops that all know each other, but they aren't stagnate like many small town shops you see. They cater to the tourists, but also realize that the locals keep them alive.

Now, there are many parts of Glynn County that need to be cleaned up, but they've done a good job with the downtown.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:32 PM

75 posts, read 381,997 times
Default hey

Im with you pink, I did probation there. Just depends on the area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia