U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2007, 10:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,077 times

Advertisements

I am a brick mason with two kids, 2 and 1 years old, and a wife. I am looking to move in the northern georgia area from wisconsin. I have been doing some research and Rome seems like a pretty decent place, but I have been getting mixed information about emplyment. I was wondering what the people on here have to say about the area. Currently I make about $20 an hour, and I would not like to take a huge pay cut. Also, is rome a good place to raise a family, as far as schools and crime rate and activities.

Is there another place yall recomend

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM

1,025 posts, read 3,764,629 times
Building is booming in Carroll, Bartow, Paulding and Douglas Counties. These are just to the south and east of Rome.

Old 03-10-2007, 06:17 PM

8 posts, read 33,938 times
Well I know my mom lives in Perry, and she says there are alot of good schools and people. A good place to raise a family in a safer enviroment. I am looking to move from where I live in Hartford,CT. I have 3 kids of my own that I want to grow up in a safe place. So I hope you and your family find that too!!'
Good Luck!!
Bonnie

Old 03-10-2007, 09:15 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,222,451 times
The building/construction industry is booming throughout the extended metro Atlanta and North GA. area, so work in your line shouldn't be too hard to find. However, don't expect $20 an hour here, at least not as the norm. The SE is notoriously cheaper in pay and benefits than the North or West. The cost of living is lower, though, but some don't think it equals out, while some do - kind of a luck of the draw thing (just to be realistic).

Location wise Rome is good - you're not far from Chattanooga with various touristy things, and Atlanta with the big city stuff, while not having to live in either.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,061,348 times
Also, I have no idea if this is relevent to your profession, but most trades are not unionized here. Georgia is a right to work state.

Old 05-06-2007, 07:05 AM

11 posts, read 34,699 times
Several years ago, my son discovered Rome when he was returning to the Atlanta area from a hiking trip in the mountains. He fell in love with the town. It took a year or two, but he moved his family there. His older brother, as well as several friends, moved there, too.

Rome has a great downtown district and really seems, in many ways, to be on the rise. My son has a boy in kindergarten in one of the public schools, and has been quite pleased with everything.

I would move there is it was not quite as far from my Atlanta job.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:31 PM

2 posts, read 9,513 times
Biggest growth is in Paulding and Forsyth counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia