U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:12 PM
gjs gjs started this thread

56 posts, read 162,089 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am relocating to the Gainesville area soon.
It seems that Gainesville has everything to offer that I am looking for.
Parks, Bike trails, eating out, etc.
But I have been hearing on the gainesville threds so much about gang activity in the Gainesville area, it gets me thinking that maybe I should look to other areas to live, maybe lawrenceville, flowery Branch, etc....
I ask for those of you that live in Gainesville, is it really that bad for gang activity? Is it not safe there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 04:18 PM

1,431 posts, read 4,344,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjs View Post
Hello, I am relocating to the Gainesville area soon.
It seems that Gainesville has everything to offer that I am looking for.
Parks, Bike trails, eating out, etc.
But I have been hearing on the gainesville threds so much about gang activity in the Gainesville area, it gets me thinking that maybe I should look to other areas to live, maybe lawrenceville, flowery Branch, etc....
I ask for those of you that live in Gainesville, is it really that bad for gang activity? Is it not safe there?
There are some nice areas in Gainesville, but the city population is about 50% Hispanic, and there are some areas of Hispanic gang activity, especially around Atlanta Hwy.

Old 01-16-2009, 04:55 PM

50% Hispanic! Man, where did they all come from. Why Gainesville?

Old 01-16-2009, 06:44 PM

76 posts, read 183,972 times
The 50% Hispanic population is a fairly recent change. It's sad, the culture there is changing rapidly. and from what I've noticed certain areas are getting pretty rough in Gainesville.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 PM

19 posts, read 100,341 times
Default Chicken Plants

Thats why the influx of mexicans. Gainesville is the Chicken capitol of the world. You'll see what i mean when you get here. My wife and I lived off of 53 on the norht end of town for over a year. Its not bad, we never saw any gang activity. Heard about it, but never saw it. We moved to Dahlonega, and I still drive to Gainesville for work. My wife drives down to Cumming. Its much slower pace and much more baeutiful up here. Good luck. Just take your time and really look around before you settle.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:30 AM

So the main reason for the influx of mexicans is because of the chicken industry, I wonder how many of them are illegals. Theres gang activity all over the US, especially in major metro areas. It's not like Gainesville has drug related shootings in the street....or do they?
Are there incidents where people are getting mugged in broad daylight....etc...
How much of a problem is it for the community with the heavy influx of hispanics in the area? California has a heavy hispanic population in certain parts.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,858,608 times
The only good parts of gainesville now are on the outskirts (browns bridge road etc) and around the lake. I lived in that area for quite some time and saw it change. It is not dangerous but just different.

Now, try to go to a mall or any shopping place. Stay there for a minute, either in the car or outside. You will either be chased by the mall cops, the real cops will come and hassle you or everybody will be giving you dirty looks. I call it the gainesville anti gang task force. It's a joke. Night time, driving through town you will have 1-2 city cops tailing you checking your tags and what not. Every time. Every day. Meanwhile the person with no tags will drive right past you...........

It's changed a lot in the past 10 years. It really has.

Lawrenceville is worse.

Flowery Branch is generally good. Their biggest issue there is domestic abuse/fights.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 PM

169 posts, read 502,820 times
I recommend the north hall/dawsonville side of Hall county like the previous poster did (hwy 53). it is 15 min to 400 and the outlet mall, 20 min to Cumming which would have all your needs covered and if you need some culture Alpharetta is a mere 30 min drive. The other side of Hall... Oakwood, Flowery Branch and east Gainesville does have a lot of gang activity. I very seldom even go to Gainesville but enjoy a Hall county address for tax purposes. I would definitely stay away from Gwinnet county. That whole county has turned into a sh** hole.
Where are you moving from and are you bringing a family?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:56 PM

I will be coming from A smaller town just south of Roanoke,VA.
I just turned 50 and have a job lined up in Pengergrass, I want to live in a town with a good park system and not too overly populated, that's why I am looking at Gainesville.
There's not much of towns with things to do around Pendergrass.
Also Gainesville is a town with the amenities that I look for within a short driving distance.
I am comming down Monday to look at rentals in the area, so my move will be realativly soon.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM

19 posts, read 100,341 times
Default Gainesville

We lived in some real nice apartments off 53 just north of the Best Buy and all the shopping there. Like the other poster said that is a newer nicer part of town. i cant say much for the pendergrass side, but thats closer to the chicken plants and more industrial. Do drive around though, the Walmart in Gainesville was nothing but Mexicans. They don't bother you, but they dont make shopping easy. And just really look at everything. You get a quick idea about where to go and not. Stay off Atlanta Highway. All the signs are in Spanish, so you'll know where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia