Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2006, 08:54 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times

Advertisements

Hi, my Wife and I are leaving for the Fayetteville area this coming thursday to possibly relocate there. Can you all tell me the pro's and cons of the area? What you like, what you don't like please???

Hows the scenery there by the way? Is it wooded and if so what kind of trees are there? Anything like North Carolina's hardwood trees??

Thank you !

Rgrds
Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2006, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 301,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTudo
Hi, my Wife and I are leaving for the Fayetteville area this coming thursday to possibly relocate there. Can you all tell me the pro's and cons of the area? What you like, what you don't like please???

Hows the scenery there by the way? Is it wooded and if so what kind of trees are there? Anything like North Carolina's hardwood trees??

Thank you !

Rgrds
Tom
Yep Wooded, Rural, Uh different than NC though. I liked Peachtree city very modern but a little far from Atlanta if that's important. It costs a little more to live there compared to other Ga areas too?

Old 07-09-2006, 09:57 AM

Thank you! In what way is it different from NC? As far as distance it appears that Peachtree city is about 30 minutes from the Buckhead section of Atlanta. Seem about right??

We are I think looking more seriously at Fayetteville as we think we would prefer an acre or more ( no more than 2acres) of preferably woods. It also seems that Peachtree city is more expensive than Fayetteville?

Tom

Old 07-09-2006, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you! In what way is it different from NC? As far as distance it appears that Peachtree city is about 30 minutes from the Buckhead section of Atlanta. Seem about right??

We are I think looking more seriously at Fayetteville as we think we would prefer an acre or more ( no more than 2acres) of preferably woods. It also seems that Peachtree city is more expensive than Fayetteville?

Tom
LOL no not 30 minutes, more like 40 to 60 minutes. Plus traffic is really a problem in Atlanta , the traffic congestion is like 4th or 5th in the whole nation! So be careful with this. I traveled to Peachtree City from Atlanta 4 times a week for over 3 months, I remember what it took. Funny it was from Buckhead too. You can't use the pure mileage rule you have to "do the drive " to know what I'm talking about.

A good idea is to rent short term (like extended stay ) before buying a home and test the area first. It's worth it before sinking time and money into a house you want to sell in a year. It is different from the respect of trees the wooded are is a little different not much, you will like it. Fayetteville out side of Peachtree is a little less expensive.

Old 07-09-2006, 10:24 AM

Heheh, traffic can't possibly be worse than South Fla in the season can it?

I'm plotting a course from Fayetteville to various food stores and things and noticed theres a Whole Foods in Buckhead. Hence the investigation.

We are looking now for any Asian grocery stores and where oh where could there be a real Italian grocery store. ( yes, we like to cook!)

Long as all the trees aren't the scraggly type of pine trees that is prevalent in Fla......not expecting any drastic changes in colors like the Northeast, but hardwood trees would be nice to see. Any snow in the area in winter??

Old 07-09-2006, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Heheh, traffic can't possibly be worse than South Fla in the season can it?

I'm plotting a course from Fayetteville to various food stores and things and noticed theres a Whole Foods in Buckhead. Hence the investigation.

We are looking now for any Asian grocery stores and where oh where could there be a real Italian grocery store. ( yes, we like to cook!)

Long as all the trees aren't the scraggly type of pine trees that is prevalent in Fla......not expecting any drastic changes in colors like the Northeast, but hardwood trees would be nice to see. Any snow in the area in winter??
Oh my there are tons and Tons of food stores like that inbetween Peachtree and Atlanta. Really, if your talking work thats different, during Rush hour yes it's bad, Rush hour is like 4:30 pm till 6pm and it's really congested, all routes to and from Atlanta. Asian? yea that's like north of the city, Buford Hwy area.

Very little to no snow Sorry, you can take a trip up to the North Ga mountains , they get some.

Yea you get hardwood! LOL

By the way I miss GA! I'm in medical school and took an offer to go back to southern GA to be a rural Family Practice MD and I'm really excited! I think out of all the Southern states I do like GA the best. So I think you will too. I could go anywhere but I'm coming back.

Last edited by southernguyGA; 07-09-2006 at 10:51 AM..

Old 07-09-2006, 11:22 AM

Medical school huh? Congratulations. Hows the healthcare in this part of Ga? I had bypass surgery 14 months ago so it's an issue. I checked our health care which will travel to Ga with us and it seems to be quite a lot of MD's and is close enough to cardiac centers like Emory although is it really even necessary to go that far?

My Wife is from Vietnam and we really get into that and various forms of Asian cooking. Being from the northeast US though I really like Italian foods and want to find a Italian grocery assuming it exists and don't care if I have to drive a while every couple of weeks to stock up.

We work out of the house and as long as we have high speed internet then we're in good shape. Looks like Comcast is in most of the area

Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Medical school huh? Congratulations. Hows the healthcare in this part of Ga? I had bypass surgery 14 months ago so it's an issue. I checked our health care which will travel to Ga with us and it seems to be quite a lot of MD's and is close enough to cardiac centers like Emory although is it really even necessary to go that far?

My Wife is from Vietnam and we really get into that and various forms of Asian cooking. Being from the northeast US though I really like Italian foods and want to find a Italian grocery assuming it exists and don't care if I have to drive a while every couple of weeks to stock up.

We work out of the house and as long as we have high speed internet then we're in good shape. Looks like Comcast is in most of the area
Health care is very good in GA, but for anything major yea I would go to Atlanta, Emory or St Joes.

Italian? I really do not know? the Asian food is availble around Atlanta with some good Asian food stores. Food stores lie Kroger and PUblix have good choices and are high class type.

As far as standard of living, I think it is high, I have lived in the northeast and Europe, now the Caribbean, and feel that the best place was GA.

At least for this Southerner LOL.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 47,100 times
I lived in Eastern NC (Jacksonville - Marine town!) for a few years and I am from the southside of Atlanta. I am ashamed that I don't know they types of trees but when you get here to visit you will see. As far as likes and dislikes...I like that there is shopping nearby but not too close (depending on how far out you go). I don't like how Urban Sprawl has changed things in Northern Fayetteville. I would also suggest you look into the Brooks/Senoia areas. It is, in my opinion, an easier drive up Hwy 74 from S. PTC near Senoia and Brooks than taking Hwy 85 through Riverdale to get to I-85 and Atlanta. So, one downside (in my opinion) is that the area is becoming more diverse and not as desired as it used to be. Don't get me wrong, there are still some lovely areas so just do some searching with a good agent. I would also suggest checking out Sharpsburg area, still some wooded areas there and easy to get to I-85. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia