U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 11:32 AM

8,190 posts, read 5,704,403 times
Take a map of Georgia, cut it in half, pin up the southern half, and throw a dart. Wherever it lands will work for you, except for the schools which will be a toss-up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 06:34 AM

1,340 posts, read 1,978,924 times
I don't know@Akhenton06

I would think that a resident of a rural area in a non-southern state might be a little shocked at how several rural areas in the deep south actually are.

Just being honest, I dont know if a person from a township of around 5,000 in the thumb of Michigan would like Ft. Valley, Dawson, Talbotton, Sylvester, Ashburn, or several other random rural towns in south ga where they may be the minority.

I'd actually recommend extreme north GA if someone were looking for their perfect, ideal conservative lifestyle within Georgia.

Old 08-28-2010, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 5,516 times
Hello,
To the person that resides in Atkinson County. I was looking at some larger tracts of land. The realator has it advertised as Alapaha river ranch property on the Alapaha River? Can you tell me anything about this area if you know where it is? Thanks

Old 12-29-2010, 05:31 AM

33 posts, read 87,355 times
Yep, crime rate in Douglas GA is high... but it's so much safer than Atlanta here. Trust me on this.

Many "big" crimes here seem to rarely get solved, which may skew the statistics. I don't actually see or hear about much crime here, although like many places there is a drug/pill problem. I also don't have much respect for many of our doctors (many of whom cater to the pill-heads), but that's too long a topic to go into here.

We've had some mysterious unsolved murders... which our local donut cops assisted by destroying the crime scene and not calling in the GBI (Georgia Bureau of Investigation) until too late.

Personally, I've had a couple of cars broken into (kids trying to steal the radio) in my former neighborhood. The local cops and "detectives" wouldn't even take fingerprints (all over the windows) or follow the footprints in the dirt to the house next door. Many of my friends agree with me that our cops are useless, other than forcing them to write you a police report to give to your insurance company.

The cops seem to spend most of their time circling the few watering holes, pulling people over and getting their DUI quotas (trust me, you do NOT want to drink and drive here... or anywhere else, of course).

With the failing economy here (we've lost 2 of our biggest employers), the criminal activity is up a bit. There have been a couple of home invasions, for example (one successful, one thwarted). Then again, many residents don't use common sense, and don't lock their car doors or install a home alarm system.

But overall I feel pretty darn safe. But then, I live in a decent neighborhood, have an alarm system, and believe in arming myself. I can walk 90% of town day or night without worry, and have done so. Like all towns, use common sense and avoid the 'bad' areas and you won't have much problem.

No place is perect or crime-free. Our cops could do a lot more, and I wish they would. However, the fried food here is more likely to kill you than a burglar.

--
PS: Yes, Statesboro is a pretty nice town, located just under an hour from Savannah. I'd pick Valdosta over the "Boro", but both have good 4 year colleges and therefore better economies and shopping than many Georgia cities. Valdosta has an Air Force base as well, which also helps the economy.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:26 AM

3,421 posts, read 1,844,916 times
I drive through Douglas on my way to Jacksonville and I don't see a lot of bad areas. Nothing like the suburbs of ATL.

Old 01-02-2013, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,235 times
Hello,
I am new to the thread.Looking to move to a small town in Georgia.I was thinking of Sylvester Ga. Although, on this thread here about Ga.I have read some very interesting things about Georgia in itself.However have not read anything on Sylvester .Does anyone know anything about Sylvester Ga and if this little town is a great place for family.What about colleges,Employment,Worship,shopping. anything in walking distance.Anything and possible everything you can provide. I would love to own some land,However willing to rent for the time being.Let me know my cyber friends.
Thank you
Kimberly

Old 01-02-2013, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,235 times
Good afternoon Willacoochee,
Kimberly Here.
Do you have a website that i can look up Willacoochee Ga, and could you tell me a little bit about Sylvester Ga or the better places to live in Ga.Savannah is beautiful.i am looking for a small town for my son and i But not so small that there is nothing around.I am also looking for the southern hospitality that were use to.We move from Florida to Illinois when the Economy hit and been here ever since.About three years now.The people are so not friendly here.Of course we kill em with kindness..lol A smile goes along way.With that being said i would love to know about any information you could offer, whether be something you personally know,or a website that i can find everything and anything.I would appreciate and help you can give.
Thank you
Kimberly

Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,948 times
Default Willacoochee and Sylvester, Ga.

My home is in eastern Tift County located between Willacoochee and Sylvester. I have always considered Willacoochee to be an extremely poor area. However it is just a few minutes south of Douglas. Sylvester is a pleasant community. The northern side of town has many beautiful homes with large yards. Employment opportunities are located in Albany and Tifton. Both about 30 minutes away. Shopping and restaurants are limited. I know little about the schools other than the physical facilities are first class. Another 30 minutes north of Sylvester is Lake Blackshear. An 8500 acre lake that offers first class recreation opportunities. I will put in a plug for Tifton. We have more PHD's per person than any other small city in the south east USA. The county is about 40,000 people. It is a wealthy county with thousands of lovely homes. However the land values reflect it. We have over a hundred restaurants with a soon to be opened Olive Garden. Publix located here a couple months ago. We also have a four year college. Abraham Baldwin is the largest two year school in the state. In the last few years ABAC has started offering four year degrees and some very limited Masters programs. But be aware the cost of living is more expensive than most south Georgia towns.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 12,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
I don't know@Akhenton06

I would think that a resident of a rural area in a non-southern state might be a little shocked at how several rural areas in the deep south actually are.

Just being honest, I dont know if a person from a township of around 5,000 in the thumb of Michigan would like Ft. Valley, Dawson, Talbotton, Sylvester, Ashburn, or several other random rural towns in south ga where they may be the minority.

I'd actually recommend extreme north GA if someone were looking for their perfect, ideal conservative lifestyle within Georgia.
That being said, what's the popular opinion on Dahlonega? Or other small towns in the area? Looks like I can get quite a bit of bang for my buck, house-wise. Schools? Crime? Commerce?

Sent from Galaxy SIII using Tapatalk 2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia