Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:20 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
Exactly. That's why there is even a such thing as Macon Warner-Robbins MSA. The amenities you tend to find in a city, any city, typically more closely follows the metro population. When people think of NYC, for example, and all the amenities it has, and it being the largest city in the US, nobody seriously leaves it at Manhattan having 1.6 million people. Folks consider the entire metro area with its 8.3 million people. Talk about Atlanta and people who have spent any time there think of the thick traffic. But you don't get thick traffic like that with 500 something thousand people. You are exactly right, it's stupid to separate areas that are that close. That's why people usually consider the metro area moreso than an arbitrary city proper boundary and population.
Actually, the New York City/Northern New Jersey/Long Island CSA encompasses four states and is roughly 19,000,000 people (I think). Your 8,300,000 figure represents only the city proper population of New York City. I bet most people don't realize that Brooklyn is actually more populous than Manhattan, but it is. I bet many people also don't realize that Manhattan is smaller in population than Philadelphia. Some CSAs sprawl much further than others. For example, Pike County, PA is now included in this CSA, and nearby Monroe County (I would assume) will soon be added as well due to the heavy commuting patterns between these two NEPA counties and NYC. Even Scranton/Wilkes-Barre is now being dubbed a "satellite city" of NYC, and we are two hours away.

In any event I concur that while there is a distinct difference between city and metro populations, to get the true "feel" of a city you should abide by the metro stats. Atlanta certainly "feels" like a city of 5,000,000+ more so than a city of 500,000+. It's not Atlanta's fault that a lot of people think the city sucks and chose to move to the sprawling suburbs for some God-awful reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:30 AM

970 posts, read 2,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
It's not Atlanta's fault that a lot of people think the city sucks and chose to move to the sprawling suburbs for some God-awful reason.
Someone from PA saying Atlanta sucks. Meh. I've seen your state. Talk about ugly.

Go troll somewhere else.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:05 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yerocal View Post
According to the Us Census N.Augusta has pop of about 20,000 and Aiken at 29,000. Between Macon and W.Robins is a HOT growth area, there is the unincorporated community of Rutland, South Bibb Co. and North Houston Co. with well over 30,000.............And then W.Robins at 60,000
Please show me the link where it says their population as of 2009, 2008. or even 2007. North Augusta and Aiken have more people than that. Even though SC has strict annexation laws.

This might be a hot growth area but its not a hot growth area like North Augusta. Or W. Robins would be apart of Macon's MSA which its not. Augusta suburbs are more built up than Macon, Savannah, and Columbus suburbs.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:11 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
If Marietta, Decatur and certain areas around Atlanta were to incorporate, then the list would probably look like this:

Atlanta, Marietta, Decatur, Augusta, Columbus, East Cobb and then Savannah.
Marietta is already an incorporated city and has been since 1834, but much of East Cobb (which claims a Marietta mailing address) is not.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:31 PM

726 posts, read 2,818,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Please show me the link where it says their population as of 2009, 2008. or even 2007. North Augusta and Aiken have more people than that. Even though SC has strict annexation laws.

This might be a hot growth area but its not a hot growth area like North Augusta. Or W. Robins would be apart of Macon's MSA which its not. Augusta suburbs are more built up than Macon, Savannah, and Columbus suburbs.
This is a very hot growth area, one the fastest growth areas in Macon/bibb county and north North Houston co..... There was a Several articles in The Magazine "Georgia Trend" about this growth boom in South Bibb and North Houston co. There is $500 million mixed-use development in south Bibb County with over 2 million sq ft underway, several mixed used residential projects, several new schools has been developed and highway upgrades and widens to adapt to high volume of traffic. North Macon/bibb and South Monroe is experiencing Even larger boom, with over 5million sq ft of mixed used retail, Several commercial and residential projects and etc. Monroe Co. is having a big disputes with Bibb county about county lines which runs smack dab in the middle of all this development.

the link for population is US Census......
http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/4...EA68941972.pdf
Developers say downtown Macon still a good spot for growth - Local & State - Macon (http://www.macon.com/198/story/567378.html?pageNum=2&mi_pluck_action=page_nav#Com ments_Container - broken link)
http://www.sofrangroup.com/pdf/Macon...%20Station.pdf
Georgia Trend
Georgia Trend
Georgia Trend
Georgia Trend
LoopNet - Hartley Station Retail, Retail (land), 4515 Hartley Bridge Road, Macon, GA

Old 02-05-2009, 03:11 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Marietta is already an incorporated city and has been since 1834, but much of East Cobb (which claims a Marietta mailing address) is not.

I know that Marietta is incorparated as well as Decatur. I was speaking of the the zip codes the use's the cities name, but they're not in the city limits.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:16 PM

2,856 posts, read 4,619,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Basically another false claim Chris/Atlcol1.
Everyone knows the deal with your multiple names.
Time to give it up young man.

Actually im not a guy. Why would I have to gain by being AtlCol1. LOL, how funny!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:19 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Columbusattorney needs to give it up. I spent some time reading your posts. Your posts make no sense and lack evidence. You are not very credible from what I have read.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM

201 posts, read 540,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Columbusattorney needs to give it up. I spent some time reading your posts. Your posts make no sense and lack evidence. You are not very credible from what I have read.
Come on Chris.
Everybody is aware of the multiple names being used now.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:33 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
I know that Marietta is incorparated as well as Decatur. I was speaking of the the zip codes the use's the cities name, but they're not in the city limits.
I think you have a certain amount of spillover for every incorporated city in Cobb County. I lived in unincorporated Cobb 30080 with a Smyrna address for a while, for example. Marietta is one of the biggies, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia