Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:43 AM

126 posts, read 579,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_evergreen View Post
The thing that has made me want to move out to the Western USA comes from some conversations with some friends who are from the Western USA. They have stated that people tend to be more indivdualistic and for the most part, one can have a civilized conversation with different views.
I STRONGLY disagree with this statement. If you do not share the liberal mindset, you are treated as an idiot and are snubbed and insulted - often to your face. People here all flock together to share their views and protest together and heaven forbid you DISAGREE and think for yourself! After all, you're just a stupid conservative warmongering Bush-lover in their eyes - regardless of what your actual views are. And a Christian to boot? Good luck with that. But put a CODE PINK bumper sticker on your car and wave a sign that says "Bush Lied, They Died" / "No Blood for Oil" and you'll have more friends than you know what to do with. They'll invite you to join THEIR protests.

Oh, and legislation is so out of control that in various Bay Area cities it is now illegal to: Use plastic grocery bags, smoke in your own car or your own home (unless it's pot - you can get a prescription for that. And so can your school aged kids. They can smoke it in the nurse's office at school.)

If all of this sounds like heaven to you, by all means, move West. Maybe we'll pass on the interstate as I head back to the southeast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 03:05 AM

283 posts, read 1,193,613 times
Well here I am in the West and I love it but group think exist here very much. California has always been considered to be very liberal and I quess so... I do see plenty of people protesting for or against things that I certainly wouldn't care to see pass as laws but even with as liberal or individualistic or whatever you want to call them some of the most restrictive and rediculous laws have stemed from the west coast individuals. Seems they can't make up thier mind what they want if you ask me. Depends on what's popular or as of the last few years depends on how disgusting you can make it in tabloids, if people laugh and think it is something everyone should experience then a law should pass to make it legal. Of course I can't think of any specific examples and I'm carring things a little overboard but its not too far fetched. As far as being able to hold more civil conversations out west; seems the same to meas anywhere else, that is if you can find someone speaking english. I know other languages and even use them when neccessary or for just plain fun, but kinda sad when you go to a drive thru because your in a hurry and people can't understand one another because of the language barrier. I have had wonderful conversations though on both east and west coast where both people agree and disagree with my opinions. Not sure what is going on with your particular situation but maybe you should try to met more people. Find the group that thinks a little more like you and then maybe the group thinking problem won't be such an issue anymore. Group thinkers are everywhere even when they don't realize what group they fit in with. Maybe the group you hang with has many similar views but they obvisously know how to think enough for themselves to disagree with you. Food for thought.

Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_evergreen View Post
I have lived in Georgia for the last 12.5 years and as I have grown up, I have felt dissapointed by all of the "groupthink" I see around me(and I live in the metro Atlanta area). To me Georgia isn't as open to new ideas as one would believe living near a major metropolitan area. Alot of people seem to think "with the group" and individualism seems very rare.
I'm thinking you need to find a different group.
the_walrus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia