Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2009, 10:13 AM

12 posts, read 25,138 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about relocating and have learned alot from following some of these threads. But, I am seeking honest opinions of local people as to how you really feel about "transplants" It seems there are lots of people relocating to Georgia. I am the 6th generation of the pioneers who settled the area of WV I am from and I know how some locals feel about "newcomers". I am looking for "Walton's Mountain" (see my user name) It's the place of my parent's memories and some of mine. Does it still exist anywhere or am I looking for a fantasy? I know, I know. But, surely there are still some rural areas left with no chance of sudden growth. We are not at all interested in the city life. I guess we are probably looking for an outlying area close to a little town with no more than 3000. I am concerned about the tornado thing. We don't have to worry about that in the mountains of West Virginia. We are not interested in an area where meth has taken over. We love the slow, conservative life style. Would love to hear from people who have actually lived in Northern Georgia for several years. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 08:19 AM

23,438 posts, read 44,044,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltonsnut View Post
I am thinking about relocating and have learned alot from following some of these threads. But, I am seeking honest opinions of local people as to how you really feel about "transplants" It seems there are lots of people relocating to Georgia. I am the 6th generation of the pioneers who settled the area of WV I am from and I know how some locals feel about "newcomers". I am looking for "Walton's Mountain" (see my user name) It's the place of my parent's memories and some of mine. Does it still exist anywhere or am I looking for a fantasy? I know, I know. But, surely there are still some rural areas left with no chance of sudden growth. We are not at all interested in the city life. I guess we are probably looking for an outlying area close to a little town with no more than 3000. I am concerned about the tornado thing. We don't have to worry about that in the mountains of West Virginia. We are not interested in an area where meth has taken over. We love the slow, conservative life style. Would love to hear from people who have actually lived in Northern Georgia for several years. Thanks!
I don't think you will find it in north Georgia. The area is experiencing rapid growth for three reasons:
Its' popularity with retirees from Atlanta and Florida
Its' popularity as a vacation home destination for Atlantans
Its' easy accessibility from Atlanta (575, 400, 985 expressways)
If I were looking for something akin to what you describe, I would look in western Virginia or southeastern West Virginia. Why not Schuyler, VA? Home of the Walton's Mountain museum and the town on which the story is based.

www.waltonmuseum.org

Old 03-01-2009, 12:26 PM

Thanks so much for the reply. I should have mentioned that while I love the mountains I would like some flatland with mountains close by. That is one reason I wa looking into North Georgia. The valley where Chickamauga is seemed interesting. I've been to Waltons Mountain Museum and I loved it, but the property is very hilly. I have looked further south and like the looks of the Indian Springs (I think) Valley, but the elevation is too high. We are at 1880 where we are now and the Indian Valley is around 2400 which surprised me. I should have mentioned we are looking for a place to squeeze in a couple more months of nice weather instead of 6 month winters. I'm also looking at the Mt. Airy, NC area. So...it'e really going to grow near Chickamauga? Thanks. Appreciate any input.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:09 AM

I meant to say Indian Valley, Va was a higher elevation than I expected, not Indian Springs, GA.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,476,619 times
I don't know much about the area but Chattanooga looks like it will develop within the decade and the surrounding area should too.

Here's a previous thread>>>
Chickamauga,GA

Old 03-04-2009, 09:34 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,956,846 times
Some NGA towns you might want to check out: Clayton, Blue Ridge, Ellijay, Lafayette, Toccoa, Blairsville, Cleveland. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:05 PM

Thanks so much. I was looking at the little place called Rock Spring just south of Chickamauga. Any thoughts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia