Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 41,408 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to GA from PA. We have family in Cumming...but the price of housing seems a bit high, although the schools come highly recommended. Can someone out there compare Buford to Cumming for us?
Both areas seem nice, but Buford seems much more affordable. Pros? Cons? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Hopefully someone with better FYI on Buford and Cumming will respond.

I've read a number of threads on this area and am somewhat familiar with both from living here for 'decades'--but there has been a great deal of growth and change in the northern suburbs.

Here's an old thread that might give you some ideas>>>
Buford vs. Hamilton Mill vs. Suwanee/SugarHill

I would assume that the more expensive homes in Cumming are close to Lake Lanier. Cumming is in Forsyth County and there are a number of subdivisions with large homes in the southern part of Forsyth County, just beyond Gwinnett--which experienced a development boom during the late 90's.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the link! I appreciate it! Although my sister and her family have been down in Forsyth for 14 years now, and we do visit often, this IS a big, big step for us. But all I can tell you is that when we get on the plane to leave, I don't want to go. I just love Georgia -- what I know of it!

Old 03-13-2009, 12:53 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I'm curious as to why you're focusing on only Cumming and Buford? I can't really comment on Buford, but there are homes available in/around Cumming in all price ranges, and there are also other options nearby- more notably Cherokee County.

The biggest thing to consider in a move like this is your commute- do you know where you'll be working? Until you've pinned down a job, I wouldn't lock into a particular area unless you're willing to endure a potentially painful commute.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:02 PM

Thanks, that is great advice! You are so right...I know the traffic can be tough. I am just somewhat familiar with Cumming or Buford from visiting relatives in GA. On your recommendation, I will research Cherokee. I just want to be at least within 1 hr. from my family in Cumming.

Again, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Old 03-15-2009, 04:21 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
Buford is even higher, unless you go near the old town (small old houses, doubt you will like this) or on the south side of city hall (industrial and commercial areas with residential in between).

30518 is the best zip imo.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:12 PM

31 posts, read 180,236 times
I've lived in both places and they are similar, but different. The population in Buford is a little more diverse and more urban. Cumming has old southern roots and I think there are more natives in Cumming. However, Cumming is/has been booming and it is a chaning place. I think Buford had their big boom about 10 years ago. Both are nice places to live, but if your looking for the best schools I think Cumming is the place. I think home prices in Cumming are very similar to Buford, but it depends on exactly what neighborhood you are looking at. Northern Cumming is cheaper than South Cumming, but South Cumming is known for better schools. From what I have heard West Cumming's schools are good too and getting better all the time. I would also strongly encourage you to check out Cherokee County. Parts of Cherokee are very near Cumming, but the homes are cheaper and you get more land. If you are looking for areas with good schools I would recommend looking in the following districts (in order from best to next best): South Forsyth High, West Forsyth High, Creekview High. If you have questions about any particular subdivision let me know. I just went through a move within this area myself so I am very familar with many subdivisions. In addition to that most of my family and friends live in this area so I know what their experiences have been as well.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:28 AM

611 posts, read 2,307,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajandjj2000 View Post
I've lived in both places and they are similar, but different. The population in Buford is a little more diverse and more urban. Cumming has old southern roots and I think there are more natives in Cumming. However, Cumming is/has been booming and it is a chaning place. I think Buford had their big boom about 10 years ago. Both are nice places to live, but if your looking for the best schools I think Cumming is the place. I think home prices in Cumming are very similar to Buford, but it depends on exactly what neighborhood you are looking at. Northern Cumming is cheaper than South Cumming, but South Cumming is known for better schools. From what I have heard West Cumming's schools are good too and getting better all the time. I would also strongly encourage you to check out Cherokee County. Parts of Cherokee are very near Cumming, but the homes are cheaper and you get more land. If you are looking for areas with good schools I would recommend looking in the following districts (in order from best to next best): South Forsyth High, West Forsyth High, Creekview High. If you have questions about any particular subdivision let me know. I just went through a move within this area myself so I am very familar with many subdivisions. In addition to that most of my family and friends live in this area so I know what their experiences have been as well.
I agree. Just to kindly add another opinion of # of natives in either place; I think it's about the same # of natives in both places because Cumming also has changed a lot over the years. A few years ago Forsyth County was the fastest growing county in the US, so there are a lot of transplants here now. Both Buford and Cumming are very similar to each other; both have older and newer sections of their towns and outlying areas. IMHO, the majority of Gwinett, Forsyth, and Cherokee counties are all nice places to live. We live in South Forsyth, and we love it here. Our postal address is Suwanee even though we're not in Suwanee's city limits, and we're actually closer to Johns Creek (just north of Alpharetta). Other areas have the issue also of having a postal address of a city and not being in the actual city limits, so it can be confusing if you're house hunting. I also agree with the high school recommendation. In addition to those, a new high school is opening in the fall of 2009 in Forsyth county called Lambert. Already that school's administration is getting rave reviews. Best wishes in your search!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:36 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied to this Pennsy Girl's posts. As a long time resident of Southeastern PA, this is a HUGE move for us...but we are ready for change. School taxes here are crushing us...plus the overall cost of living. Are there any other Pennsylvanians out there that have made the move recently? Would love to hear your comments/comparisons. The few people I know from PA say they would NEVER come back. Thanks!

Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 9,159 times
Default All4Kevin

Have you made your move yet? I, too, am contemplating a move. My company offered transfers to several areas in the South. There are so many issues at play that I'm having a really tough time deciding. Career-wise, it would be a lateral move...perhaps a little more "perks" (company car, etc, a nice bonus, etc), but it's a new role for me. We have 4 children, my husband is fairly content with his job, and we have an affordable 5 bedroom home on 2.5 acres. We live near Pittsburgh, which is VERY affordable for the Northeast. My closes family member is my sister--and she's about 40 minutes away. Other than that, the rest of our family and friends are about 2 hours away. My best friend from back home is in Cumming and I just visited this past weekend and do really like the area. I am very nervous about the school sizes and the traffic though. While I drive over an hour to work where I live, there's no traffic...it's all highway miles.

I just really feel like I want a clean slate and a change of scenery. I'm bored out of my mind--with life, with my job, etc. Is that reason enough to move though?? I don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia