Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 08:25 PM

4 posts, read 27,588 times

Advertisements

Quick question, why does it matter?

EDIT: Then again people who are racist are too stupid to understand skin color doesn't mean anything except give you an idea of where their ancestors are from, genealogy, etc.

Old 03-28-2009, 08:15 PM

4 posts, read 20,697 times
Most of Georgia is under a hiring freeze for new teachers, actually they are laying off teachers in many areas. If you both have a job now, it may be best to stay with that until the economy is better?

Old 03-22-2012, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,700 times
Smile Moving to Canton

I am a AA woman we currently live in Philadelphia,Pa were looking at moving to Canton Ga {River Green} some one told me that there is not a lot of AA's in Canton and to go south of the perimeter. I really love the house and the community but I don't want any problems please help can someone give me a honest opinion on this matter. I wanna live around friendly people in a comfortable environment.

Old 03-22-2012, 04:26 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
I'm a single Black guy, early 30's, who used to live in Canton. While the Black population isn't very large there, it's not like there aren't any. I saw at least a few other Blacks whenever I was out and about in town and although I'm used to living in areas where there's a larger Black presence, I didn't feel uncomfortable or out of place or anything. I just hated the fact that it was so far out.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chynadoll30 View Post
I am a AA woman we currently live in Philadelphia,Pa were looking at moving to Canton Ga {River Green} some one told me that there is not a lot of AA's in Canton and to go south of the perimeter. I really love the house and the community but I don't want any problems please help can someone give me a honest opinion on this matter. I wanna live around friendly people in a comfortable environment.
I dont think you'll have "problems"' but you'll definitely be part of a small minority. I believe Cherokee County is still less than 5% AA. That said,we have several AA families in our neighborhood in Holly Springs, and my wife is good friends with an AA woman who moved here from NJ last year. We havent heard of them having any issues, and our kids play together frequently. I'm sure if she was experiencing any issues, we'd have heard about it.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:11 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
The black population in Canton is about 2%.
The overall population across the mid-section of Cherokee County, from east-to-west, which includes Canton, is about 90% white.
Hispanics make up about 7.5% and Asians are about 0.5%.

Honestly, I can't see most blacks desiring to live there, considering how few blacks there are. Suburbs further south, particularly on Atlanta's south and east sides seem much more popular for blacks.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
The black population in Canton is about 2%.
Oh it's not that low. According to the 2010 Census, it's about 9%. The White non-Hispanic population is 65% and the Hispanic population 22.5%.

To the OP, don't let the low numbers scare you. Black folks do fine in Canton.

Old 03-25-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh it's not that low. According to the 2010 Census, it's about 9%. The White non-Hispanic population is 65% and the Hispanic population 22.5%.

To the OP, don't let the low numbers scare you. Black folks do fine in Canton.
It is not nine percent. It may be nine percent in Woodstock, but definitely not Canton. The two percent I was referring to namely referred to the area of mid-Cherokee which has a Canton address, not the city itself. The city itself might be four percent black. You can drive the roads around Canton and count only three or four blacks in cars out of one hundred cars. I'm telling you the truth on that.

The white-non-hispanic population is not 65% in the actual city, but is probably around 80%, if counting the illegals who walk around the street in central Canton. If we're talking about people who are in cars, then it's close to 85% Visibly, that's how it looks. A few illegals barred up in the downtown area who never leave that vicinity, I suppose, could cause the numbers to be lower, but I don't believe the census numbers. I know the area. It's not that low. The overall Canton area, including those unincorporated areas, is easily 85% white. If including with Canton the cities and communities of Holly Springs, Hickory Flat, Macedonia, Free Home, and Lathemtown, what I call mid-Cherokee, then it's close to 90% white. All of these areas have Canton addresses.

If the area were nine percent black, you'd actually see a significant number of blacks in Canton. The fact is, you don't, because those numbers are not accurate, and I don't need the Census Bureau's false numbers to tell me otherwise.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars&StripesForever View Post
It is not nine percent. It may be nine percent in Woodstock, but definitely not Canton. The two percent I was referring to namely referred to the area of mid-Cherokee which has a Canton address, not the city itself. The city itself might be four percent black. You can drive the roads around Canton and count only three or four blacks in cars out of one hundred cars. I'm telling you the truth on that.

The white-non-hispanic population is not 65% in the actual city, but is probably around 80%, if counting the illegals who walk around the street in central Canton. If we're talking about people who are in cars, then it's close to 85% Visibly, that's how it looks. A few illegals barred up in the downtown area who never leave that vicinity, I suppose, could cause the numbers to be lower, but I don't believe the census numbers. I know the area. It's not that low. The overall Canton area, including those unincorporated areas, is easily 85% white. If including with Canton the cities and communities of Holly Springs, Hickory Flat, Macedonia, Free Home, and Lathemtown, what I call mid-Cherokee, then it's close to 90% white. All of these areas have Canton addresses.

If the area were nine percent black, you'd actually see a significant number of blacks in Canton. The fact is, you don't, because those numbers are not accurate, and I don't need the Census Bureau's false numbers to tell me otherwise.
OK, so you're an authority based on nothing more than anecdotes and the Census Bureau is wrong.

I myself am Black and lived in Canton for a little over a year. I'd say 9%, which is for the city limits of Canton, is about right.

And at any rate, the OP should NOT feel discouraged about moving to Canton based on those numbers and surely shouldn't be steered only towards certain parts of the metro because they are more heavily Black.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
OK, so you're an authority based on nothing more than anecdotes and the Census Bureau is wrong.

I myself am Black and lived in Canton for a little over a year. I'd say 9%, which is for the city limits of Canton, is about right.

And at any rate, the OP should NOT feel discouraged about moving to Canton based on those numbers and surely shouldn't be steered only towards certain parts of the metro because they are more heavily Black.
The Census Bureau is wrong. It's well known that many people did not turn in their census data, given they thought it was a violation into their privacy. Many didn't mark their race. It is mostly whites who do this.

Secondly, I am in the area almost every day for various reasons. I know what I see. I'm not saying it to just be saying it. Saying that Canton is 9% black is about the most preposterous thing I've ever seen. For crying out loud, one can go to the Canton Wal-Mart and see only one family/single black while there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia