Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 12:53 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,717,167 times

Advertisements

I'm considering applying for an internal job and our company is located in Columbus, Georgia. What are the schools like there? I've researched on City-Data's site but wanted to get some insider information from people who live in that area.

I'm looking for constructive information on schools, housing, healthcare and general daily life. What is the weather like during the summer? Bearable?

Please be as helpful as possible as this is a serious consideration and this job would be a great opportunity for me.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:57 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,643,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I'm considering applying for an internal job and our company is located in Columbus, Georgia. What are the schools like there? I've researched on City-Data's site but wanted to get some insider information from people who live in that area.

I'm looking for constructive information on schools, housing, healthcare and general daily life. What is the weather like during the summer? Bearable?

Please be as helpful as possible as this is a serious consideration and this job would be a great opportunity for me.
Columbus is a city of 200,000 with 600,000 in a 30 mile radius. It is home to major corporations like Aflac, TSYS, Synovus, Carmike Cinemas, Char-broil, etc. Fort Benning, one of the world's largest military bases, is located here. BRAC is bringing the entire armor division from Fort Knox which will be bringing around 40,000 people to the area by 2011-2012. Columbus State University is a 4-yr school with 8,000 students. Auburn University is about 30 minutes west of Columbus. There are great outdoor activities, cultural facilties, shopping, dining, etc. Columbus is a typical mid-size southern city that is growing. Schools are good, especially those on the northside of the city. Suburban Harris County is nice as well. It is located just north of the city. Columbus is convenient to Atlanta and the beach. Weather is typically mild in the winter and hot in the summer. Overall, it is a good city to live in. Hope that helps!

Old 03-22-2009, 11:55 PM

39 posts, read 126,351 times
Well put Columbus1984. Columbus has all your major conveniences. It has twice as many physicians per person than the U.S. average, therefore, great healthcare. Great Schools such as Columbus High School which is consitantly ranked as the top high school in Georgia. Harris County also has excellent schools. There are lots of museums and cultural attractions such as the Springer Opera House (state theatre of GA). You will find true Southern hospitality in a diverse city in Columbus.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skelo31 View Post
Well put Columbus1984. Columbus has all your major conveniences. It has twice as many physicians per person than the U.S. average, therefore, great healthcare. Great Schools such as Columbus High School which is consitantly ranked as the top high school in Georgia. Harris County also has excellent schools. There are lots of museums and cultural attractions such as the Springer Opera House (state theatre of GA). You will find true Southern hospitality in a diverse city in Columbus.

This is extremely encouraging! Thank you. Having lived in Florida for awhile the healthcare there was third world horrible. Coming from such a large metropolis like Minneapolis, your comments on the cultural attractions are awesome. I've always wanted to live in south, and this just might be my opportunity. Does it snow during the winter? When hurricanes hit, how does it affect Columbus? Flooding? Or is it not even really in the path of hurricanes generally?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,240,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Does it snow during the winter? When hurricanes hit, how does it affect Columbus? Flooding? Or is it not even really in the path of hurricanes generally?
Well it did snow during that storm the first of March. From my understanding it snowed three inches. I've never seen three inches of snow in Columbus in my life. So don't worry about snow it's very rare. Not as warm as Florida but compared to Minneapolis the dead of winter will still feel like a nice spring day.

Columbus is far enough inland that by the time hurricanes get there that it's just a really bad rain storm. I can only remember one hurricane that did real damage that was Opal when I was 14 which would've been 13 years ago. Really it wasn't that bad for my family. I remember going back to school and all the kids had stories about Opal I had none but some knocked over trash can I was so embarassed. Funny where priorities are when you're young.

If you've lived in Florida then you can handle the summers.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:51 PM

Terrence is right, it rarely snows. You may see a few flurries each year and some accumulation every 3 years. Strong hurricanes are usually downgraded to a category 1 or even just a tropical storm by the time they make it to Columbus, giving the city a good soaking (mostly just lots of rain). As of right now, the weather in Columbus is beautiful with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s. You don't even have to turn on the heat or air conditioner.

Old 03-23-2009, 01:55 PM

What about humidity levels? Does it get unbearable? That is really one of my main concerns. We do have a fair amount of humidity here during the summer, but I remember how awful Orlando was. It never seemed to go away.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:04 PM

143 posts, read 327,479 times
As a northerner who lived in Columbus, i can tell you that the summers are long, hot, and humid. At first it can be a novelty to be wearing shorts and sandles in early March, but by June, the days can be downright brutal. You will probably not want to venture outside of the a/c until evening. I remember sweating walking from the door to the car. You will also need to be careful if you have pets.

All things considered, you get used to the heat just like anything else. There aare a lot of good things about Columbus. It is a very managable size and has what I think is a great 4th of July celebration. I have entertained the notion of moving back there myself, if I could find a job.

Old 03-23-2009, 02:19 PM

Great info! Thanks! I do remember the brutal heat, and while I love the cold, we've had a long cold winter and -40 windchill with a standing temp of -20 gets old afterwhile. We just stay indoors and don't venture out at all! Thank goodness spring is somewhat here.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:10 PM

Hoosier, the heat and humidity can be pretty bad for 2 or 3 months out of the year. This is when you should take advantage of water parks, museums, and vacationing during the summer months! Give Columbus a try, and I'm sure you will be impressed by the small town Southern hospitality, with the the amenities of a major metropolitan area. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA