U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,117,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0909 View Post
Bibb County shows about the same amount of growth as Muscogee, which isnt much but still a little, yet people are running away from Macon and fighting for reservations in Columbus? It just doesnt add up. Augusta and Macon have booming suburban counties such as Houston County for Macon and Columbia for Augusta. Does Savannah, Athens or Columbus even have suburban counties on the level of those? I doubt Columbus and Athens do, at the very least.
The growth of Bibb and Muscogee can barely be called growth, really. Bibb has only grown by .5% since 2000, while Muscogee squeaks in with .4%. Very unimpressive for true second-tier cities in such a booming State.

Compare that with Athens-Clarke at a pretty impressive 12.4%. Despite this growth in the core of Athens, they do indeed have a booming suburban County due South in Oconee - which has grown 19.6% since 2000.

Columbus and Savannah also have booming suburban Counties.

Columbus has Harris, due North on I-185 - a direct shot to the new Kia Plant, along with all the suppliers that are setting up shop. Harris County has grown a whopping 22.7% since 2000.

As far as Savannah, they actually have two booming suburban Counties, Bryan and Effingham. Chatham County (Savannah) has grown 6.9% this decade, while Bryan has grown 28.7% and Effingham has grown 35.1%.

FWIW, Houston has grown an impressive 18.3%.

From these numbers, you can sumise that Bibb & Muscogee are hardly growing at all, and may be shrinking at this point.

Old 04-07-2009, 04:06 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,600,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Macon IS larger than Athens. All one has to do is visit both cities to see that. NewtownMacon is correct...
Yet another poster who wants to read in between the lines. Show me where I mentioned the size of any single city. I think you need to read more and post less. RundownMacon has yet to be correct on any single issue. Period.
For what it is worth, I agree. Macon is larger than Athens. What I said, if you care to go back and read it, was that people want to live in Athens and there is little to no growth in Macon. Search back just a little further and you will see a definition of second tier cities that I found from a magazine article. My earlier point was pointing out that, by that definition, Macon is not a second tier city.
You might want to follow along with the jist of the thread before responding.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM

641 posts, read 1,038,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Yet another poster who wants to read in between the lines. Show me where I mentioned the size of any single city. I think you need to read more and post less. RundownMacon has yet to be correct on any single issue. Period.
For what it is worth, I agree. Macon is larger than Athens. What I said, if you care to go back and read it, was that people want to live in Athens and there is little to no growth in Macon. Search back just a little further and you will see a definition of second tier cities that I found from a magazine article. My earlier point was pointing out that, by that definition, Macon is not a second tier city.
You might want to follow along with the jist of the thread before responding.
I'm not going to response to your posts, I’m not going to waste my time going back and forth debating with a thick headed embiseal like you who no matter what someone posts about Macon you find some way to turn it into something negative………. Also Nor have you or will ever make me look or feel like a fool, I have proved you wrong on countless posts but as I mention you always find some way to twist thing to make it negative……..So from this point on whether you are right or wrong I will never response or pay any attention to your posts about Macon…… you may not care but, remember nor do I

Old 04-07-2009, 06:16 PM

913 posts, read 2,671,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
The growth of Bibb and Muscogee can barely be called growth, really. Bibb has only grown by .5% since 2000, while Muscogee squeaks in with .4%. Very unimpressive for true second-tier cities in such a booming State.

Compare that with Athens-Clarke at a pretty impressive 12.4%. Despite this growth in the core of Athens, they do indeed have a booming suburban County due South in Oconee - which has grown 19.6% since 2000.

Columbus has Harris, due North on I-185 - a direct shot to the new Kia Plant, along with all the suppliers that are setting up shop. Harris County has grown a whopping 22.7% since 2000.

As far as Savannah, they actually have two booming suburban Counties, Bryan and Effingham. Chatham County (Savannah) has grown 6.9% this decade, while Bryan has grown 28.7% and Effingham has grown 35.1%.

From these numbers, you can sumise that Bibb & Muscogee are hardly growing at all, and may be shrinking at this point.
Good post. For Columbus, you forgot to mention Lee County, Alabama just across the river. Smiths Station, a Columbus suburb, has grown over 25% since 2000. It covers an area of roughly 25,000 people. It is overlooked since Phenix City is directly across from downtown Columbus. Auburn/Opelika overshadow it as well. A lot of suburban growth for Columbus is happening there because of available land, good schools, and low taxes. It is an easy commute into the city from there. There is currently another high school being built due to the population growth.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:56 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,600,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
I'm not going to response to your posts
... As you respond to my post. Once again showing your ignorance. Damn dude... please stop. We all know where you stand in regards to credibility. You lost it months ago.
Please, for Gods sake stop. You have no credibility and it is beyond sad now. I really hate to bring this up, but, when we started this conversation you had 16 rep points. I had 600. Now you have 16 and I have 670. I have gained 70 rep points, and you have gained... uh.... none. Your peers have spoken. Now please shut up. You are stalking me and you look like a fool. Please stop.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:19 AM

38 posts, read 105,968 times
Quote:

Yes, I know Bibb and Muscogee's growth has been minimal, I just mentioned that
to point out how weird it is how some people can act like people are pouring into Columbus
left and right and Macon is shrinking, when in actuality it's really at a stagnant level for both.
I know, Harris County is "growing" at a nice pace but I was specifically talking about
areas like Columbia County for Augusta or Houston County for Macon, which have huge population gains
If you're going to mention Harris County as "booming" then you'd also have to say the same
for Jones County and Monroe County in Macon metro. They, like Harris, are all in that 4,000-6,000
range of growth since 2000.
I didn't know Athens surrounding counties were growing like that though.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 AM

38 posts, read 105,968 times
About the best 2nd Tier Metro, I dont see how anyone can compete with Savannah. It has a beach, history, culture, and architecture the other cities just do not have. If they consolidated like Richmond and Muscogee, they would be the 2nd largest city in GA as well.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
I'm not going to response to your posts, I’m not going to waste my time going back and forth debating with a thick headed embiseal like you who no matter what someone posts about Macon you find some way to turn it into something negative………. Also Nor have you or will ever make me look or feel like a fool, I have proved you wrong on countless posts but as I mention you always find some way to twist thing to make it negative……..So from this point on whether you are right or wrong I will never response or pay any attention to your posts about Macon…… you may not care but, remember nor do I
This is just.....sad.

You have never proven Bulldawgfan or any other forumer wrong in ANY post that I have ever seen.

embiseal! LOL - I saw one at SeaWorld last fall. They're cute!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ0909 View Post
About the best 2nd Tier Metro, I dont see how anyone can compete with Savannah. It has a beach, history, culture, and architecture the other cities just do not have. If they consolidated like Richmond and Muscogee, they would be the 2nd largest city in GA as well.
Good post, and I agree.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:45 PM

641 posts, read 1,038,235 times
Quote:
This is just.....sad.

You have never proven Bulldawgfan or any other forumer wrong in ANY post that I have ever seen.

embiseal! LOL - I saw one at SeaWorld last fall. They're cute!
Well you should have gotten out of your seat and join the EMBISEAL show, because you would have fitted in just perfect... Prove that.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or