Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is Georgia's Most Underrated Gem??
Tallulah Gorge 3 8.57%
Historic Madison 5 14.29%
Cloudland Canyon 6 17.14%
Cohutta Wilderness 2 5.71%
Historic Thomasville 3 8.57%
Providence Canyon 4 11.43%
Dahlonega 6 17.14%
Athens 6 17.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 10:53 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
I voted for Dahlonega but I love Amicalola (sp?) Falls, Sapelo Island/Hog Hammock for the Gullah culture, Warm Springs for FDR's Little White House, the Chickamauga battlefield and Andersonville.
For all the years I have been traveling to the coast, my first opportunity to visit Sapelo is coming up on Friday. A friend of my aunt's has a home there and will be taking me over. I'm so psyched because I've been fascinated with Hog Hammock's story for ages.

www.sapeloislandgeorgia.org/aboutnew.html (http://www.sapeloislandgeorgia.org/aboutnew.html - broken link)

Driving US 278 from Atlanta to the SC line, one of course encounters the very charming (and well-known) town of Madison. But there are some other lovely but lesser-known towns along that route as well, in particular Social Circle, Greensboro and Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 11:30 AM

63 posts, read 284,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
For all the years I have been traveling to the coast, my first opportunity to visit Sapelo is coming up on Friday. A friend of my aunt's has a home there and will be taking me over. I'm so psyched because I've been fascinated with Hog Hammock's story for ages.

www.sapeloislandgeorgia.org/aboutnew.html (http://www.sapeloislandgeorgia.org/aboutnew.html - broken link)

Driving US 278 from Atlanta to the SC line, one of course encounters the very charming (and well-known) town of Madison. But there are some other lovely but lesser-known towns along that route as well, in particular Social Circle, Greensboro and Washington.
Wow, how exciting! I would love to hear what it is like when you return! My husband just finished student-teaching an 8th grade GA History class and we had a great time doing the lesson plans together and including the Sapelo Island/Gullah information because none of the kids knew a thing about it. We found some pretty neat videos on Youtube that made me want to visit the area even more. I'm so jealous!

Old 06-03-2009, 12:50 AM

17 posts, read 39,841 times
I think Thomasville is a beautiful gem of Georgia but that sad part is that the place has not enjoyed the recognition it deserved.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescruz View Post
I think Thomasville is a beautiful gem of Georgia but that sad part is that the place has not enjoyed the recognition it deserved.
I think T'ville likes to stay under the radar, though.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:45 AM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times
I discovered Dahlonega this past December and fell in love with it. I always enjoy driving through Madison--looking at the Antebellum homes and stopping in the downtown square. Thomasville is also nice. Made the trip over there one time--it's got some nice homes and shoppes also.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:53 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,292,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

I did vote for Cloudland Canyon as it is in the upper NW corner of the state and not in the line of sight for many.

Would give an honorable mention to Anna Ruby Falls and Amicalola Falls.
Cloudland canyon is amazing. I was just there in April. We only saw three other people the whole time we were there.

Anna Ruby is pretty cool. I just got back from there, too. It was crowded, though. Definitely not underrated. I was more impressed with Dukes Creek Falls, which is only a few miles from Anna Ruby and was not crowded at all.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:01 AM

52 posts, read 142,635 times
You all forgot about Milledgeville; Georgia's 4th capitol and home to many historic mansions and other important things from Georgia's past.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:52 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Okefenokee Swamp would be my choice.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:16 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
I've driven through downtown Madison and Greensboro before, mainly out of curiosity. They were nice, but I guess I was expecting more from some of the hype I've heard, particularly Madison. However, downtown Rome was impressive to me.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,425,743 times
Tallulah Gorge in Rabun county (northeast corner of GA where SC and NC state lines meet) was just in the news because of the 40th anniversary of Deliverance. It was said that old movie brought on a lot of tourism to the area, even if some Georgians disliked the portrayal of some of the locals in the movie.

Even if I had been there and think it is very beautiful, I voted for Thomasville because it seems to be largely unknown to people in Georgia. I have not yet visited Providence Canyon, and based on the few pictures I found in a quick Bing search that sounds like a place worth checking out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia