Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2009, 05:02 PM

24 posts, read 67,551 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

This is my first post. I've been lurking the forums and mining the data pages for about six months though.

Anyway, I'm looking for some relocation help. We are both in our mid 20's. She's Korean and I'm Italian/German (look Hispanic.) Obviously, we won't be moving for another six months to a year, or at least until a job is secured for both of us. I'd prefer to be out of this state by October, but we'll see how the economy goes. She works for the Ritz/Mariott and I am in law enforcement right now. I'm also in the process of securing a Real Estate license for extra income. We're both college educated and not entirely religious. She's more of a sometimes Church on Christmas type person.

We'd like to live within a 45 minute commute of a Ritz (Lake Oconee, Buckhead, Atlanta) or another metro area. We both grew up in suburbs with a cute little main street/downtown feel with varying elevations and nice, normal people.

Ideally, we want to live in a quaint suburban area with a cute little main street strip (similar to Greensboro/Newnan/etc.) with low crime, a great family atmosphere with the southern charm/hospitality and excellent schools. We want this to be our last move. =) Eventually, she wants to open a homemade jewelry/beading store somewhere downtown too.

I like the north Georgia area because it looks like it has seasons without the extremes of NJ. I don't know if something extremely rural and "boonies" would be good for right now. I'd like to be in a hilly area, or at least something that doesn't look so flat.

We don't do much city life living/partying and prefer a more sublime night out downtown for dinner and movies. So, there needs to be a movie theater nearby with first run movies. Every now and then I like to play billiards/pool and maybe even the odd bowling alley or something similar. I also don't want to go 15 - 20 minutes away for a grocery store, Target, Walmart, Best Buy, or any other big box retaillers too. I'd also like to be near a lake or other swimming hole, where I can get the illusion of a day at the shore.

I'm sorry if it seems like a lot of demands, but I hope this perfect place exists!

Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 07:21 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
I wonder if Rome is too far out of the way?

Old 04-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Unfortunately, it may be. Google Maps shows Atlanta being around an hour and a half and Greensboro/Lake Oconee being 2h39m away.

Thank you for your suggestion though.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,650 times
I suggest the Marietta, Ga area. Its about 20 mins to half an hour away from Atlanta. It sounds like The Marietta Square area is what y'all are looking for. It's full of southern hospitality, great shops, restraunts, its full of WalMarts and such... It's a larger suburban town with that small town feel so you get the best of both worlds. Marietta City Schools is one of the best school systems in Georgia so that's a plus. I highly suggest googling the Marietta Square and looking up the marietta, ga area! Im in my 20's as well and there is a TON of stuff to do around Marietta. Its one of the most beautiful, lush, colorful areas aroud as well! The Dogwoods are blooming right now and it's increadible! Also its about 15 minutes from Lake Alatoona! Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:33 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Marietta, Roswell, and Woodstock all have downtown areas that may work for you, while not being "big city" places and meeting your 45 minute criteria.

Old 04-08-2009, 02:03 PM

9 posts, read 34,002 times
You might look into the areas between Kennesaw and Marietta. They're both near I-575 and I-75. Loads of shops. The Cobb Mineralogical Society has shows and facilities if that's the type of jewelry you're into. Home I'm not sure, but I think there's a big Marriott at Cobb Galleria?

I don't know if you'd enjoy Woodstock. It's very conservative and Baptist. I lived there for a year.
If you plan to buy a home, buy in Cobb or Cherokee counties. Fulton and Gwinnett property taxes are scary. Cobb is higher than Cherokee but not that bad. The closer to Atlanta, the higher the cost of living overall.

Best wishes on your relocation !

Old 04-12-2009, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll check out the Marietta/Roswell area online this weekend. I think she has her heart set on working up in Greensboro at the Lake Oconee Ritz Carlton though.

How is the market faring up there? I paid 170 for my condo down here and I'm terrified of what I'll be getting back when I sell. Condo living really wasn't all it is cracked up to be. Sure, it's nice to have someone cut your grass and stuff - but I live in like leisure village with a lot of retirees and a pain in the butt below me.

I'm also still looking into the idea of WNC and a couple of other places right now. I already had northeast Tennessee vetoed by the missus.

My main draw is going to be a low crime rate (living in this metro area is a nightmare), four seasons, and a quaint downtown. I hope to take a trip up to ATL sometime this summer..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia