Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 14,456 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. Please help with any info you have. My husband has been transferred to Atlanta and I have 3 teenage boys (2 college age) to get settled. We have looked at a home in Canton, but it is much more rural that LIttle Rock where we are now, but we fell in love with the house. Should we consider Kennesaw over Canton due to Kennesaw State, and other attractions? How's the traffic in both places? Been in LR all my life, so this is nerve wracking. One son is not very mobile due to back injury and will need to find things to do. How about nondenominational churches, etc.?????

Please help!

How are the people in Canton????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 04:47 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,373,754 times
Canton isn't that rural, but I guess that's all relative. We moved to Holly Springs (next to Canton) two years ago from NJ, and we love it- friendly people, affordable homes, etc. The commute to KSU won't be too painful from Canton, provided you plan around the major rush times, and even then it's not too bad.

Hubby's commute could be pretty bad if he's heading into Atlanta proper, especially during rush hour. I make the drive at 5:30, and it's around 40 minutes, but at 8am it can be up to 1.5 hours.

There are a number of non-denominational churches in the area. One that I'd suggest checking out, especially with teens, is Revolution Church- they've got a great program, unlike anything I've seen before. Their website is Revolution Church

Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Canton vs. Kennesaw

Hey, thank you for the reply. Looks like ANYWHERE is a commute, unless you go off hours, which he's prepared to do.

Do you have a perspective on how living in Kennesaw would compare with Canton?

Thanks you any help. Glad you like your area? I keep hearing how friendly people are. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 AM

I don't really think you'll find much of a difference between the two areas- they've both got some new construction as well as some older parts. One area of Kennesaw I'd definitely stay away from is anywhere that requires you to take Barrett Parkway to get to 75 or 575- that road gets horribly backed up.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:00 AM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times
I'd choose Canton.

Depending on where you're looking in Canton, it can be suburban or semi-rural. For example, along Ga. 20, between Canton and Cumming, it does become exurban in nature (not exactly rural, *****, but less developed). However, in close proximity to I-575, it is suburban, with plenty of places to shop and eat.

Holly Springs might be a good bet. It's generally completely suburbanized, south of Canton, meaning that it is closer to Kennesaw. The schools are also better, and you get the best of both Canton and Woodstock. Plus, you're closer to all the retail that the Barrett Parkway area offers.

In my opinion, Cherokee County is one of the best places in all of metro Atlanta in which to live.

"The River" church is also another non-denominational church in the area.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:59 PM
ECE

1 posts, read 2,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I don't really think you'll find much of a difference between the two areas- they've both got some new construction as well as some older parts. One area of Kennesaw I'd definitely stay away from is anywhere that requires you to take Barrett Parkway to get to 75 or 575- that road gets horribly backed up.
Agreed w/above
Barrett Pkwy can be unpredictable, I sat in traffic for 30 min on Sundays, which are usually good bets to get around Atlanta. Otherwise, Kennesaw has some nice shopping, restaurants, Dallas Hwy has some nice shopping (like West Cobb Avenue shops).Definitely closer to Kennesaw State and if your sons want to get together with friends after classes, more central for that.
Canton is nice too, much further out, and has a more "rural" feel, and seems quieter.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:42 PM

9 posts, read 33,998 times
Default Canton or Kennesaw

There are loads of very reasonably priced homes off of Prominence Point Parkway near 575 Exit 14. That's the Holly Springs/South Canton area. I don't consider the Canton area rural by any means. To me, Kennesaw is more expensive, congested, cramped, and seems to have more crime than Canton/Holly Springs area. And it doesn't take that much time off of your commute. Avoid downtown Canton, Puckett Creek area and Waleska.
Wish I knew more about the schools but in Canton. I'm told Sequoyah H.S. is better than Cherokee H.S.

Commuting to Atlanta via 575 is a disaster no matter where you live. When I commuted, I left between 5 and 6 AM. Not fun. But now there are daily commuter buses. The Xpress transit system route 490
Xpress GA - Route 490
is reasonable and takes you to downtown Atlanta. My neighbors, attorneys at the capitol, take the bus. They like it and appreciate their Canton 2-acre home they share with their kids and dogs.

Best wishes for your relocation !

Old 04-08-2009, 02:00 PM

Hey thanks for the replies. Keep them coming! Actually, we are looking a little up Hwy 20 toward Cumming, so I guess that's my comment about rural. Can anybody give opinions about Creekview High School? I just want to make sure 3 teenagers can find enough to do in Canton--that's why I was considering Kennesaw, even though it looks like it's not much bigger. Do you think the commute to KSU or Polytech would be OK from Canton?

Old 04-08-2009, 03:21 PM

925 posts, read 2,606,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots49 View Post
Hey thanks for the replies. Keep them coming! Actually, we are looking a little up Hwy 20 toward Cumming, so I guess that's my comment about rural. Can anybody give opinions about Creekview High School? I just want to make sure 3 teenagers can find enough to do in Canton--that's why I was considering Kennesaw, even though it looks like it's not much bigger. Do you think the commute to KSU or Polytech would be OK from Canton?
Creekview is probably the best high school in all of Cherokee County. If you're desiring a fantastic school for your kids, in an environment that is over ninety percent white, then the Creekview District is your best bet. The Sequoiah and Etowah districts are good too.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:32 PM

Creekview is only a few years old, and has been getting excellent reviews. Our kids were slated to go there since Sequoyah was getting crowded, but now that the new HS and MS are opening on Arnold Mill in Woodstock, there will be plenty of space in Sequoyah, and they'll be going there. I'm actually happy with that since Sequoyah is only a mile from the house vs Creekview being more like 8 miles- they're both excellent schools, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia