U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 03:17 PM

4 posts, read 9,501 times
Default Jekyll Island

We are planning on going to Jekyll Island in May. We are looking at May 25 - May 28. Our concern is it will be packed because of Memorial day. We are looking for a low key vacation so it would defeat the purpose if it's crowded. Any advice when to go before the summer rush? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 07:36 AM

12,709 posts, read 18,637,645 times
I don't think you're going to find any beach resort in this part of the world that won't be crowded on Memorial Day weekend. I have a place on neighboring St Simons Island, and my usual plan is to rent it out that weekend and stay away.

Old 04-13-2009, 01:18 PM

We were planning to arrive on jekyll Island on Monday (Memorial day). I was wondering if the weekend crowd would be leaving.

Old 04-13-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabriel View Post
We were planning to arrive on jekyll Island on Monday (Memorial day). I was wondering if the weekend crowd would be leaving.
Maybe. But I believe that most schools in the Atlanta metro will be getting out the week before Memorial Day...so you're going to have a lot of the families from Atlanta staying on for the week. That is usually a popular week for families to take vacations down here anyway.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:31 PM

214 posts, read 609,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Maybe. But I believe that most schools in the Atlanta metro will be getting out the week before Memorial Day...so you're going to have a lot of the families from Atlanta staying on for the week. That is usually a popular week for families to take vacations down here anyway.
Are you stuck on going to Jeckyll and the Atlantic side? If not I've got some suggestions for you on the Gulf side.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:56 AM

We have been to jekyll island and really liked it. We are looking for somewhere close to the ocean that has bike trails but is not crowded. We are not looking for a lot of entertainment just a place to rest with our young children.

thanks

Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 PM

214 posts, read 609,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgabriel View Post
We have been to jekyll island and really liked it. We are looking for somewhere close to the ocean that has bike trails but is not crowded. We are not looking for a lot of entertainment just a place to rest with our young children.

thanks
I've got a place for you. Go to the Amelia Island Plantation. Plenty of places to stay in the Plantation and good bike trails.

The beaches are pretty much private for people staying at the plantation.

About 1 hour south of Jekyll.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:52 PM

3,226 posts, read 3,359,709 times
Doesn't Jekyll have trails?

Old 04-15-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Doesn't Jekyll have trails?
Yes, as does St Simons.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:19 AM

3,226 posts, read 3,359,709 times
So why are we sending people to Amelia Island? Lets keep those tourist dollars in the state of Georgia!

Jekyll would be perfect for what they were describing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia