U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM

462 posts, read 902,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE WIZ View Post
From my understanding I believe Georgia will be retro back to March 19, don't quote me on that . According to the NELP trigger report it states from 4/19/09. So we just hope that once the DOL system is set up, they will do the right thing and pay us from that time. Also it says that Ga. qualifies for 20 weeks, and that is what GDOL should list. If not then we have another fight on our hands.
If you check the most recent federal trigger report it doesnt even show GA as having passed the laws necessary to trigger on let alone a date. Where does NELP get their info, I sure can't find anything. I could be wrong, but I thought the TUR had to be at 8% or higher unemployment for 3 months to get the 20 weeks. We didn't show as being at 8% until the end of March. I give up speculating on what can happen. I compared some of the EB states, and if my understanding is correct, I won't qualify anyway. Some states have the ruling that your base pay wages have to be 40X your benefit rate...Since my claim went back to 07, I only have one quarter left on my base, and it doesn't come close to 40X. Some states say that you have to have 2 wage earning quarters in your base...Some states say that you have to have 20 earning weeks in your base, and states like Michigan are very liberal. This is the reason that I don't like comparing what is happening in other states. The ARRA used the term "at a states option" too many times.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:54 PM

75 posts, read 193,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
If you check the most recent federal trigger report it doesnt even show GA as having passed the laws necessary to trigger on let alone a date. Where does NELP get their info, I sure can't find anything. I could be wrong, but I thought the TUR had to be at 8% or higher unemployment for 3 months to get the 20 weeks. We didn't show as being at 8% until the end of March. I give up speculating on what can happen. I compared some of the EB states, and if my understanding is correct, I won't qualify anyway. Some states have the ruling that your base pay wages have to be 40X your benefit rate...Since my claim went back to 07, I only have one quarter left on my base, and it doesn't come close to 40X. Some states say that you have to have 2 wage earning quarters in your base...Some states say that you have to have 20 earning weeks in your base, and states like Michigan are very liberal. This is the reason that I don't like comparing what is happening in other states. The ARRA used the term "at a states option" too many times.
If you go to (NELP trigger states for April 22 2009) it gives you the break down of each state. It reads that Georgia is finalizing its TUR in order for funds to be issued as of May 25. It also indicate that we trigger on for 20 weeks. Don't give up, who's to say you may not qualify. Another site I stumble on, indicated that Ga. had pass Legislation for TUR. Well lets just keep the Faith.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:26 PM

151 posts, read 291,296 times
Does anyone know how your UI account is handled when you report income for a week or two? Say for instance, I signed up to do substitute teaching and got called in 1-2 days a week, which would pay $50-$100 (I think it's $50/day???). When I report that income and they deduct the overage amount of my allowable earnings, what happens to that money? Does it stay in my UI account and extend my ability to draw on it until the balance is depletedr?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamarev View Post
Does anyone know how your UI account is handled when you report income for a week or two? Say for instance, I signed up to do substitute teaching and got called in 1-2 days a week, which would pay $50-$100 (I think it's $50/day???). When I report that income and they deduct the overage amount of my allowable earnings, what happens to that money? Does it stay in my UI account and extend my ability to draw on it until the balance is depletedr?
If you are still drawing unemployment you have to report the income when you certify each week. I believe anything over 50 bucks is deducted from your unemployment that week. That deducted amount will stay in your account and it extends your ability to draw.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:31 PM

I just spent 3 1/2 hours at the DOL. Same old story. The woman told me that if my benefits ran out, that is all there is. There is no more unemployment. I flat out told her that she was wrong, and explained why. She was totally in the dark, and told me that they get updates when the public does. I told her that the public actually knows more about this than the people who work at the DOL. The end result was that I should go home and wait to hear from them. On my way out I overheard a woman having the same conversation that I just had. Not being able to control myself, I butt right in and explained about EB. The DOL worker refused to believe what I was saying. I ended up having a long conversation with the unemployed worker. She was astounded at the amount of knowledge that I had, and was grateful for finally getting some answers.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM

38 posts, read 73,283 times
Hey all- I spoke to a supervisor at DOL today that said their website should be updated in approx. 2 weeks with what is going on, and letters will go out by May 21st at the latest to those who qualify, expalining what to do. I kept pressing him to see who he thought would qualify, but he said there was no way of him telling and that the commissioner is the one making the decisions at this point.

I know this isn't that helpful, but I just wanted to share this. I continue to be very nervous and frustrated....I think I will just die if I don't qualify

Old 04-28-2009, 02:08 PM

I just check NELP web sight, and it is updated. It indicates that Georgia is triggered on to receive 20 weeks of EB benefits, starting May 25. But what I don't understand is why would they wait until May 21 before sending out letters? I spoke to a DOL repsentative the day after Governor Perdue signed HB581 and was told that letters would go out on May 8. We have to realize who we are dealing with (GDOL). We know more about whats going on than they do. As for who qualifies for EB, ALL OF US THATS NOT WORKING SHOULD QUALIFY. I will be so glad when all this is over with!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
I just check NELP web sight, and it is updated. It indicates that Georgia is triggered on to receive 20 weeks of EB benefits, starting May 25. But what I don't understand is why would they wait until May 21 before sending out letters? I spoke to a DOL repsentative the day after Governor Perdue signed HB581 and was told that letters would go out on May 8. We have to realize who we are dealing with (GDOL). We know more about whats going on than they do. As for who qualifies for EB, ALL OF US THATS NOT WORKING SHOULD QUALIFY. I will be so glad when all this is over with!!!
I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't find where the updates are on the Nelp site....can you tell me how to get to them?

Old 04-28-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
I must be doing something wrong, but for the life of me I can't find where the updates are on the Nelp site....can you tell me how to get to them?
Just type in (NELP list of trigger states for April 26 2009) when the page comes up, at the very top the web site reads (Q&ATERB'N"EB"SO-N1.2MWMQAE1320) click on it and the NELP listing for trigger states will come up.There is a lot of reading in between. Scroll all the way down almost to the bottom of the page and you will find the chart. Please let me know if you found it.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Just type in (NELP list of trigger states for April 26 2009) when the page comes up, at the very top the web site reads (Q&ATERB'N"EB"SO-N1.2MWMQAE1320) click on it and the NELP listing for trigger states will come up.There is a lot of reading in between. Scroll all the way down almost to the bottom of the page and you will find the chart. Please let me know if you found it.
Thank you...found it!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or