U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 10:00 PM

151 posts, read 291,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbird56 View Post
IF U DID.......... pls. tell me what your 4 qtr. total earnings were! Also, your weekly benefit amount. This is for comparison research only. Thank you
I found some info but can't tell if it's correct or not because I qualified for the max weekly benefit so that's all I got and these calculations don't work on my determination because of that. But try applying your situation to this example:

Q1 = 6,000
Q2 = 5,500
Q3 = 5,000
Q4 = 4,000

Two highest quarters are Q1 & Q2. Add the two highest quarters together. In this example, that's $11,500. Divide that number by 42 (don't ask me where they got this number - that's just what I found). So, $11,500/42 = $273 = weekly benefit amount.

Max benefit is the lesser of:
1) weekly benefit amount x 26 (Ex. $273 x 26 = $7,098), OR
2) total income divided by 4 (Ex. add all 4 quarters = $20,500/4 = $5,125)

In this example, the max they will pay out is $5,125, sooooo, when you divide the weekly benefit amount into the max benefit amount ($5,125/$273), you get the amount of weeks you are eligible on your initial claim, which in this case is $5,125/$273 = 18.77 weeks.

I may be totally wrong but maybe some of you who have this question and didn't qualify for the full 26 weeks on initial claim can run these numbers and see if it comes out somewhere close to what your initial determination figures were.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 AM

46 posts, read 109,894 times
Wink Thanks Mamarev! re: Formula

Looks like you're on to something w/ your analytical and critical thinking skills! Now, what I want to know is what the least amount earned in the qualifying period would have to be to qualify for initial full 26 weeks.

The reason I am doing this is for everyone to know if their enployer is cutting them back on hours and bonuses etc. a year before they let you go like in my perticular situation, it will effect your benefits!

Overall it has cost me about 14 weeks in lost benefits!

Initial claim= 19 weeks

Tier 1= 10 weeks

Tier 2= 16 weeks

Old 05-02-2009, 08:38 AM

75 posts, read 193,270 times
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Hopefully everyone get good news next week when the GDOL send out the letters. This waiting game has taken a toil on me.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:20 AM

462 posts, read 901,788 times
Hang in there Wiz..........and "stay out of your head" (spoken in my best Mom voice). I am keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed!!! Making toothpick flags is just not my calling!

Old 05-02-2009, 02:49 PM

75 posts, read 193,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMS200 View Post
Hang in there Wiz..........and "stay out of your head" (spoken in my best Mom voice). I am keeping my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed!!! Making toothpick flags is just not my calling!
Thanks SMS200. I woke up this morning a little stressed out. I do appreciate you reminding me of my and your Moms advice.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:10 PM

151 posts, read 291,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchbird56 View Post
Looks like you're on to something w/ your analytical and critical thinking skills! Now, what I want to know is what the least amount earned in the qualifying period would have to be to qualify for initial full 26 weeks.

The reason I am doing this is for everyone to know if their enployer is cutting them back on hours and bonuses etc. a year before they let you go like in my perticular situation, it will effect your benefits!

Overall it has cost me about 14 weeks in lost benefits!

Initial claim= 19 weeks

Tier 1= 10 weeks

Tier 2= 16 weeks
The best I can figures is that your total income for the base period would need to be at least $33,280 to get the full 26 weeks. I ran about 2 dozen sets of numbers trying to figure out a way that someone who does not qualify for the max $320 (and actually, as of July 2008, I believe the new max is $330/wk) and could not make it work. They do state in the handbook that there are a couple of "alternative" calculations but couldn't figure out the variables for those.

The way I get the $33,280 is because of that one little phrase, "the lesser of...." Here is another example on one I tried to make work just as an idea:
Q1 4500
Q2 4500
Q3 4499
Q4 4499

Two highest quarters (1 & 2) = 9,000/42 = $214/wk. To get full 26 weeks, max benefit amount would need to be $5564 ($214 x 26 = $5564); however, total income for base period = $17,998/4 = $4499.50; therefore, this scenario will only allow 21 weeks ($4499.50 is the lesser of the two so $4499.50/$214 per week = 21.025.

If someone knows something different, please share. I can't imagine that someone who gets a lower amount wouldn't be able to get the max payment period. Not sure I've got the formula figured out correctly or not???

Old 05-02-2009, 09:47 PM

72 posts, read 164,284 times
DOES this relate to us or what??? There is a major problem' My question is DO the guys in DC realize what is going on with the unemployed and their families??POVERTY AND HOMELESSNESS..OR really do they even give a rats ass..........

Sunday, Apr. 26, 2009

Unemployed in Ky. may find 8-week gap in benefits

FRANKFORT, Ky. -- Jobless Kentuckians whose state and federal unemployment checks have run out may have an eight-week gap before their newly extended benefits start arriving.
A spokesman for Gov. Steve Beshear told The Courier-Journal that while the unemployed will receive all the money that is due to them, it may take time for state workers to be trained and for computer systems to be updated.
Beshear signed an emergency order April 17 that allows Kentucky to use no-strings-attached federal stimulus money to help unemployed workers who have used up their 26 weeks of state benefits and 33 weeks of federal benefits and still haven't found jobs.
Jay Blanton, a spokesman for the governor, said jobless workers are now eligible for an extra 13 weeks of benefits.
"The experience in other states has been that it can take up to eight weeks to get everything in place," he said. "We will get everyone their payments and benefits, but it will take some time to get the processes in place to make sure we're doing it right."
The delay worries some unemployed workers who say they've already drained their savings and retirement plans to survive the past year.
"If I have to wait eight weeks from the time my extended benefits run out (in early May), it will be difficult to pay my bills," said Christina Dillon, who is now searching for work out of state.
Dillon, 44, said she has a bachelor's degree in marketing and 20 years of product management experience and "can't even get nibbles on my resume. I never in my lifetime thought I'd have this much of a problem finding work."
Beshear issued the emergency order when it became clear that the benefits wouldn't automatically kick in before jobless workers began exhausting existing aid.
He said last month that he believed the workers would be eligible for the additional benefits because the state's "insured unemployment rate" would reach 5 percent - high enough to automatically trigger the additional benefits.
But that did not happen.
In fact, the rate, which is calculated weekly by the U.S. Department of Labor, dropped from 4.91 percent April 12 to 4.84 percent last Sunday.
The insured unemployment rate is the percentage of workers who have received benefits in the past quarter. Workers who have exhausted their 26 weeks of state benefits but have not found jobs and are collecting federal benefits are not counted.
Under the emergency regulation, the state can now use a different unemployment calculation to provide the extra 13 weeks of coverage after residents exhaust their regular state and federal benefits.
Also under the emergency regulation, once the 13 weeks are exhausted, jobless Kentuckians may be eligible for another seven weeks of assistance if Kentucky's three-month unemployment rate remains above 8 percent. The current three-month rate is 9.3 percent.
To receive the extended benefits, jobless workers will face more demanding requirements to prove they are searching for work, Blanton said.
"They have to show pretty detailed evidence, as I understand it, of an active job search," he said.
Blanton said the more rigorous requirements are the reason for the additional training and computer updates.
"Once all that is in place, the Office of Employment and Training will notify those eligible to apply for the extended benefits," he said.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:13 PM

462 posts, read 901,788 times
DOES this relate to us or what??? There is a major problem' My question is DO the guys in DC realize what is going on with the unemployed and their families??POVERTY AND HOMELESSNESS..OR really do they even give a rats ass..........

I think the rat wins.

Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 AM

8 posts, read 22,270 times
my tier 2 ran out in ga.march28 2009 will Istill get the 13 week extension?

Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 AM

46 posts, read 109,894 times
Default The Ky. Article

Boy, that is our story too! The whole thing is a mess. The DOL should be sending out money now, and when they get their systems up and people trained, convert to the stricter guidelines. Three more weeks to go, seems like this thing is eternal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or