Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:41 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times

Advertisements

How was the track meet??? Hope your son did well!!!

We will probably hardly ever head towards Atlanta. More of Chattanooga (ALOT) and towards North Alabama. I love the windy roads also. Of course, I work at home soooooo

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Oh yeah, I did look at the chamber of commerces in Dade & Walker counties and also the Dade Sentinel and Walker County newspaper (I think Lafayette something). I saw ads for rentals but am so unfamiliar with the territory it is hard to know whether it is in a good location, good price etc... Also, haven't seen one thing about wildwood.

OK, CRUNCH TIME!! LOL.......

If you had to pick, and you owned your own business that had to stay in GA, would you pick Chickamauga, or something in Dade County? I looked at Fort O but I keep hearing how flat it is and how beautiful Chickamauga is. I want to live somewhere with a lot of mountain stuff!! LOL (Close Close to Chat)

What's the verdict???

Old 09-21-2007, 08:47 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,057,650 times
Guess might be good to meander up that corner of the world, and take a gander at the various places, with an agent or such as a guide?

As to where I would go... well, do you have kids, what grades - schools would be then a factor. Trenton has a fairly good school system. Yes, Chickymamma is quite nice area, and don't laugh but area called Flintstone has a nice reputation too. Me, while Lafayette is not bad, just didn't do much for me. Prefer Trenton - nice smaller town, w/ good access to I-59, and some good eats for such a small community.

Also, have not talked any about the beautiful scenic areas, but also note the following: Cloudland Canyon, DeSoto State Park [near Mentone, AL], the Chickamauga/Chattanooga National Park, and other cool places.

Yea, give the Chamber a call on Monday - oh, lol,,, don't know about the area you come from, but,,, about killed me recalling this - much of the town in Trenton closes for 1/2 day on Wednesdays. Larry's is closed one day, and then Randy's is another - can't recall at the moment. When ya find something from talking w/ an agent, apartment firm, and/or chamber person, and/or need more help, holler!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:02 PM

Sounds good! Thanks do very much!

Chicky-WHAT????? LOL

The town actually closes 1/2 a day on Wed??? That is so cool!

BTW, we are from Albany GA, 40 year olds with 3 kids in College, none at home so schools are not a factor. Own our own business so can live pretty much anywhere as long as it is in GA (hard to transfer a transportation co not to mention expensive).

Just so I am sure, you would prefer Trenton area over Chickamauga personally? Is trenton closer (in minutes) to Chattanooga than Chickamauga? And last but not least (and I will stop pestering you), would trenton be your choice out of all of Dade county?

Thanks so much!!!!!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:25 PM

lol - do not stop, ya ain't pestering me at all! Actually as am recalling a very wonderful place that so terribly regret moving from [stupid stupid stupid - me engineer, go north to frozen tundra of Indiana for job, leave behind wonderful scenery, people, waterfalls, caves, and sweet tea ]. Anyhow, yea, guess I would myself chose Trenton over Chickamauga - more scenic, rural, and small town feel [good/bad - personal preference, your taste may vary].

Both are ~30 minutes from Chickennoodle ; with Chickybaby more two lane roads, with potentially more congestion at times; whereas Trenton, ya have the interstate, which gets quite a bit of traffic - a major route for vacationers to FL, so the 'ridgecut' of I-24 in 'nooga gets quite buggered during rush hour traffic and/or when there be a trailer turned over due to the curves/hills there. Would not live in Trenton proper, but myself would find some land on the hill side, live there.

Almost forgot - Trenton and Dade County [sorry, can't recall if said it earlier in this thread...] are semi-infamous for being kinda isolated; being w/in the shadows of Lookout Mtn on the east, and then Sand Mtn on the west, the valley can give a person a sense of that there is not much else out there beyond those tree-lined ridges - for better or worse. Dade was once its own state to, btw... and some there still cater to that.

PS: thanks for asking; boy child got 21st out of 52, ran w/ a mild cold; not bad at all, quite proud of the munchkin
Oh, btw, it was he when we first moved to that area that came up w/ these names for those towns.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:36 PM

Thanks for all the info!

Tell the "boy child" congrats on the track meet!

I am so glad you clarified the whole "chickybaby/chickennoodle thing! Little too late though, I'm afraid - The real estate agent I spoke with blocked me with her caller ID and told me that I would be the ONLY person working on 1/2 day Wednesdays after I asked her if I could access Chickennoodle by routing through Chickybaby, and would that extend my travel time to Chickennoodle, or would perhaps Chickybaby not be the best route to take. Thanks dude!!! I am now BARRED from Dade county! LOL

***************LOOKOUT TRENTON, HERE WE COME**************

BTW, are you safe in that there "frozen tundra" of yours? After all, ya did say outrageous things like "sweet tea" and (horror of horrors) AIN'T!!!!!
My my my, you sho is brave!!!!! (Just glad ya didn't mention the "G" word......OK, I'll say it...GRITS!!!!) LOLOLOL

Seriously, having visited Trenton (Stayed right there at the Days Inn, we did!) I really enjoyed that whole isolation thing. I totally understand what you meant about "isolated-for better or worse". I am leaning towards the better! With Chattanoodle, no, chickasoup, no that's not right either...well with that big ole town so close, the isolation would be welcome to me, I think. I am a people person to the Nth degree, but am also one who is content with being by myself (Rising Fawn + Chattanoodle = Happiness? LOL).

As I mentioned before (maybe I didn't) a drive through Rising Fawn is what prompted-no, what mandated, a move to that area. I think this is one of the few places I have ever been that just simply FELT right when we got out of the vehicle. Sounds goofy, but it was just so beautiful & peaceful - AND - what you said about the isolation thing - exactly what I felt, could not have expressed it as well - made me want to move to the area. Don't get me wrong, It's not like we were just gonna up & move for that feeling I got
(actually that WE got - he felt it too), but we were already talking about relocating somewhere else. Great timing! (Dang, could I sound any MORE like a "new age doofus?? Maybe I could call it Chicken-ese-ism?? I will of course be sending you royalty checks LOL)

Anyhow, thanks so much for your input. The voices in my head say I have to go now!! LOLOL

Old 10-11-2007, 07:39 PM

Hey Katsmeeyow - any new news/developments? Keep meaning to post, but between work, house, and other threads kept slippin my noggin.
Anyhow, I did ROFL reading your post above - yea,,, the natives here at times don't know how to take my phrases nor manners at times...
Oh, well, they're just a bunch of hoosiers anyways... Again, good luck, and please post on your travels, 'k?

Old 10-18-2007, 02:57 PM

21 posts, read 121,280 times
Default Chickamauga is great!

*I'm with Cotton! I love it here in NW Ga. and I haven't had a hard time "fitting in or being accepted" either. I'm also the mother of 2 who are actively involved in athletics at Gordon Lee High and Middle School and they LOVE it here.. Said the don't want to "ever move back to Atlanta".
*Weather is great. No 6' snow drifts!!
*I have absolutely no problem with DSL etc..
*Great little town with a lot on either side of you.

*I work in Chattanooga, but the tax deal makes no difference to me. As a single mother of 2, I always pay enough in to get plenty back! That's my gift to myself each tax season!!

*I definately think you ought to check it out! Great with history, but small hometown surroundings where everyone becomes everyones family!!

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-22-2007, 11:13 AM

71 posts, read 706,227 times
Smile Chickamauga

OK, let's get this straight - it is Chick-ah-maw-guh which is the English equivalent of Tishkamaugee, the Cherokee name for the place. Great American Indian history right there. Means "valley of death." Big Civil War Battlefield there between Chickamauga and Ft Oglethorope.

Also about Ft Oglethorpe being 'flat'.....ain't NO place around there flat! You are going to have mountains everywhere you look.

Whether you choose Trenton or Chickamauga, you are going to be in a valley with hills and mountains all around you.

Myself, I would prefer Chickamauga simply because that is where I grew up and I still think it is the most beautiful spot in the world. Chattanooga is right up the road from Chickamauga. You ride straight through Ft Oglethorpe, Rossville and there you are! Takes less than 20 minutes if I remember correctly, certainly no more than 30 and you don't have to go up any mountains to get there.

The ride from Chickamauga to Atlanta is breathtakingly beautiful. You just go south on 27 to Rock Springs, hang a left over John's Mountain, through Snake-Creek Gap, back side of Calhoun to 41 if you want the scenic route. Or you can go to Ft Oglethorpe and get on I-20 for a drive straight to Atlanta. 2 hours tops.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:47 AM

483 posts, read 2,093,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton View Post
Or you can go to Ft Oglethorpe and get on I-20 for a drive straight to Atlanta. 2 hours tops.
erm.. I think you meant I-75
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia