Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 05:10 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I have been looking at homes in the Woodstock GA area and recently I saw a very nice home in White. I have never been there and I would like a bit of information about the area.

1.What schools district do the children attend and what is it like?
2. How convenient is it to shopping? What stores are nearby?
3. Is there anything very distinctive about the community - positive or negative?
4. I am looking for a place that has a small town feel but offers a bit of land. I am not a big fan of tract houses with a really "subdivisiony" feel. This house seems to have a more rural character yet not be "in the middle of no where" Is my assessment correct?
5. If I were to visit the area next weekend where would you recommend that we stay?
6 Which of the two towns do you prefer - Woodstock or White and why?

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 05:19 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,326 times
The schools in White are not as good as Woodstock. So for that reason alone I would pick Woodstock. Also, there is nothing to do in White. You would have to go to Cartersville or Canton to do anything and you have to take Hwy 20 to get anywhere. And if you've ever been on that road, most of it is one lane each direction. So if there is an accident, forget it, you'll be there all day.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM

136 posts, read 478,367 times
I live one town over from White. It is a fairly rural area. If you that's the lifestyle you're looking for it would suit you. I believe it is in the Cass-White school district in Bartow County which is not rated as highly as Woodstock but it's not a bad district and kids do go on to college, etc. It's a very different environment from Woodstock but I've had very good experences living in this area. It seems to be a more values oriented area. As far as shopping, you will need to go to Cartersville for that. I think it's about 5 miles to the nearest supermarket. There is a motel in White but I would stay in Cartersville when you visit and get a feel for the drive you have to make to run errands. There are several motels in Cartersville but I don't know anyone who has stayed at one so I can't make a recommendation. White has a Dollar General, gas station, post office, video store, a little farmer's market type store and 2 small restaurants. I am also from LI and moved to the Atlanta area in 1996. If you have enjoyed Stonybrook and from what I remember of that area, I think you will love the small-town feel of White but it noes not have the university aura about it that that SB does (or did from what I remember). There's a lot of transplants in the area but it is still very southern in character.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:12 PM

102 posts, read 382,539 times
Everyone has given you good information but the schools that White area residents go to are not at all bad. White students go to White Elementary, Cass Middle in Cartersville and Cass High in Cartersville. Cass High is getting a new building built just outside of White that will be very nice.

Shopping wise everything is in Cartersville, which is not far at all from White. But there is NOTHING in White. A short drive down Cass-White Road will bring you to the interstate where you will find a few restaurants but most stores and restaurants will be on the other side of Cartersville deep in town.

Overall White is growing (not fast and not commercially) by becoming more diverse and accepting of outsiders. A few years ago this was a true hick town with nothing but the local whites, born and raised, who didn't like outsiders coming in. Black people in Cartersville were afraid to go there (some still are lol). But now there are many new families in the area from everywhere and it is a little more diverse. It is an okay area to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia