U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 01:07 PM

214 posts, read 818,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmusket View Post
The downtowns of Augusta, macon and Columbus are very similar to me... lots of potential but not a lot happening. More vacant space then occupied storefronts, lack of pedestrians, etc..
Savannah has alot of tourists that help its downtown thrive. Athens has a major univerisity that helps its downtown.
Augusta has the First Friday event that draws a crowd, but for the rest of the month, the downtown area is pretty dead. Not sure what can be done.
Don't forget Savannah not only has the tourist but thousands of residents in its downtown area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,337,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFG3 View Post
Don't forget Savannah not only has the tourist but thousands of residents in its downtown area.
This is true... and that's probably what attracts the tourists... Savannah has a living dowtown with thousands of restored historical buildings.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM
hwd

19 posts, read 158,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Most south GA towns that I have driven through have a lack of 'energy' in their downtown areas. I would blame generally depressed economies and the presence of Wal-Mart for it.
Some of the most vibrant downtowns in Georgia are located in Southwest Georgia.
Thomasville has one of the best downtowns in the state, Moultrie's Downtown has won many awards and has seen much growth, Valdosta and Tifton as well.
Moultrie has a downtown amphitheater where they have concerts and even outdoor movies throughout the year.

These downtowns constantly hover at 100% occupancy rate with some even expanding their downtowns to meet the demand for space for new business.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:12 PM

22,803 posts, read 34,848,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwd View Post
Thomasville has one of the best downtowns in the state, Moultrie's Downtown has won many awards and has seen much growth, Valdosta and Tifton as well.
Moultrie has a downtown amphitheater where they have concerts and even outdoor movies throughout the year.

These downtowns constantly hover at 100% occupancy rate with some even expanding their downtowns to meet the demand for space for new business.
I would definitely exclude the towns that you cite. I said most, not all.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:

Thomasville has an absolute gem of a downtown.. I am not really familiar with the downtowns of tifton and moultrie so can't really comment. I was recently in Valdosta and their downtown has really made a lot of progress.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:23 AM

1,940 posts, read 8,191,025 times
Quote:

add quitman to that list as well.

in fact, there are a lot of other great downtown's in south georgia.

lovindecatur, care to mention exactly which downtowns you thought were dismal?

its mostly just the very small towns that lack any business presence whatsoever; and the same could be said for comparable size north georgia towns.

the towns HWD mentioned as being nice are probably the only one's in the area with a wal-mart, so i'm not sure you should go blaming them.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Thomasville has an absolute gem of a downtown.. I am not really familiar with the downtowns of tifton and moultrie so can't really comment. I was recently in Valdosta and their downtown has really made a lot of progress.
it is the best in the area.

thomasville's is definitely nice, but it doesn't offer quite as much as downtown valdosta.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
it is the best in the area.

thomasville's is definitely nice, but it doesn't offer quite as much as downtown valdosta.
Well Valdosta is a bigger place, but I like the feel of downtown Thomasville better. It definately has charm and doesn't have a deserted feel at all.. it has stuff going on, lots of local businesses and restaurants, not so chain saturated like the larger cities.

Old 05-05-2009, 10:45 AM

1,473 posts, read 1,654,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Macon is experiencing boom in residential growth downtown......Several blocks of DT are being redeveloped into mixed-use residential units, and several residential projects are breaking ground.

Here are the articles:
Developers say downtown Macon still a good spot for growth - Local & State - Macon (http://www.macon.com/198/story/567378.html - broken link)
Work on new downtown Macon lofts may start by summer - Local & State - Macon

Those conversions sound like a good start and I'm glad its happening. If the city can keep the momentum going, those residents could be the catalyst for new development and eventually those storefronts being filled.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Well Valdosta is a bigger place, but I like the feel of downtown Thomasville better. It definately has charm and doesn't have a deserted feel at all.. it has stuff going on, lots of local businesses and restaurants, not so chain saturated like the larger cities.
downtown valdosta is full; they have professional offices, restaurants, boutiques, clothing stores, art galleries, local theatre, etc. . .etc. . .

t-ville is definitely nice, but valdosta has a little more to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or