Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2009, 12:05 AM

4 posts, read 5,712 times

Advertisements

My husband, myself and our 2-yr old daughter currently reside in Danville, Ky. (About 25 miles from Lexington) He may be relocating to Georgia, and working at the Robert W. Scherer Power Plant on Lake Juliette. Since I'm obviously not familiar with the area, I could use some help. Since our daughter is only 2, schools aren't necessarily an issue (yet) however, from my experience, the better the schools, the better the surrounding area. We would like to stay as close to his work as possible, and don't plan on buying right off the bat. I've researched some apartment communities, and I'm not having very much luck. (I'm sure EVERY property has someone that has something bad to say but it's pretty overwhelming. Crime, theft, gangs, vandalism, etc.) Maybe I'm looking in the wrong area? North Macon is where I've kept my focus, since we don't want to be more than 15-20 miles from his job. We aren't really "downtown" people and don't mind how much is close by (shopping, restaurants, etc.) as long as it's within 30 minutes or so. The town we live in now just has a Wal-Mart and a strip-mall with a JCPenney, Peebles, and K-Mart. Lexington has anything you could want, and it's about a 25 minute drive. We'd like to be in a nice area, and not pay more than about $800 a month in rent, and everything I've looked at on apartmentratings.com has the word "ghetto" somewhere in the description. Not really a selling point, especially with a young daughter, and my husband sometimes working 7 days a week. Any advice anyone can give me would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2009, 02:21 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Have you checked the Forsythe area? If you can "afford" 800 dollars, you are likely to find a house in a decent neighborhood to rent with a fenced yard. Those who can afford it usually opt for a private school. You can contact the Georgia Association of Christian Schools (online) and see what they can tell you about that.

Forsythe is a decent small town and not far from all the shopping in Macon. Also, you are "closer" to Atlanta from Forsythe, and the airport.

You might inquire on this forum with anyone who might live in Forsythe. Whatever you decide, I would stay in a "long term" motel and do some serious looking around on my own and definitely NOT rent sight unseen. Particularly look at areas in the evenings and on weekends.

Last edited by Ollie1946; 05-04-2009 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia