U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2009, 03:13 PM

117 posts, read 300,017 times
Default Can you buy a Uga bloodline bulldog?

We've been looking at getting a Bulldog and were wondering if you can get a dog from the real breeder of the Uga line of dogs.

I have found many breeders online that claim to have Uga bloodlines and while that might be just fine, I was wondering if the Seilers ever sell any of their pups. I can't find anything online to answer my question...

Anybody know?

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 03:32 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,322,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOMUTCH View Post
We've been looking at getting a Bulldog and were wondering if you can get a dog from the real breeder of the Uga line of dogs.

I have found many breeders online that claim to have Uga bloodlines and while that might be just fine, I was wondering if the Seilers ever sell any of their pups. I can't find anything online to answer my question...

Anybody know?

Thank you.
I'm not aware that they do.. The Siler Family of Savannah breeds and keeps the UGA dogs. Someone in the Savannah forum might know.

Old 05-05-2009, 04:16 PM

I checked there with no luck, maybe I didn't use the correct keywords...I tried quite a few...

Oh well, thanks anyway.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:45 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,322,567 times
Quote:
I checked there with no luck, maybe I didn't use the correct keywords...I tried quite a few...

Oh well, thanks anyway.
The gentleman's name is Sonny Seiler (sorry orig. msp the last name) who owns the dogs. he is very well known in Savannah. He was actually one of the central characters in Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. He is a well knopwn attorney in Savannah. Like I said before, I have never heard that they breed the dogs out.. I would doubt it...but that would be the person to find out from. He's even on wikipedia.

Sonny Seiler - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2009, 07:34 PM

1,887 posts, read 4,803,707 times
you can get them, but they are expensive.

i have a friend that currently has one; they actually had two but one was raffled for charity.

i'm not sure where they got her, but i'll ask the next time i talk to him. before you get your hopes up though, i would imagine there is a waiting list.

Old 05-06-2009, 10:49 AM

I've read all about him and he sounds like an interesting fella. In all of the stuff I have read, I have never found anything that makes me think he sells them. I'm bummed.

If anyone else happens to know for sure, please post.

Thanks.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:18 AM

9,125 posts, read 22,345,599 times
Be sure you do plenty of research before you buy a bulldog. There was a lengthy article in the AJC a few months back about the various UGA's over the years, and apparently there's been a trend to try to get the dogs to look a certain way by breeding certain lines. The breeding makes them prone to certain health conditions- poor breathing and skin infections being two of them. They're not dogs that should be bought for their "oh, look at the cute dog" factor, as they require a lot of care- not saying that you're buying for that reason, but just something to be aware of. Here's a link to the article:

British breeders to alter bulldog, but Uga's mug to stay the same | ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/health/content/printedition/2009/01/25/bulldog0125.html?cxntlid=inform_artr - broken link)

Old 05-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
I've read all about him and he sounds like an interesting fella. In all of the stuff I have read, I have never found anything that makes me think he sells them. I'm bummed.

If anyone else happens to know for sure, please post.

Thanks.
I talked to my friend;

Apparently you have to know someone who knows someone.

And bob was right about the health conditions.

I know the dog they still have can barely breath and has asthma or something.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM

If there is any way to get a hold of them please let me know, I am very interested.

I am very well aware of the potential health risks and proper care for this breed and would agree that someone should never buy this breed simply out of cute factor or for nostalgia. I had "Cowboy" (English Bulldog) who had eye issues, breathing issues and ultimately had to be put down after a brain tumor caused a stroke at only 5 years of age.

Where there is bad, there is good too. We have a friend who has "Matilda" who is an English Bulldog and is almost 14 years old.

Thanks for the help folks!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
If there is any way to get a hold of them please let me know, I am very interested.

you have to know someone . . . .

sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia