U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 AM

283 posts, read 836,803 times

Advertisements

Chiming in, in a way that may not be very welcome to the majority of the responders here. In my personal opinion, being a very transient person, living all over GA for the first half of my life, then moving around the US from one coast to the next, I find that most of us transplants are the "racists". We move into new locations expecting the locals to bow down to our needs and mistake the local traditions for racism. This is exactly why Americans in general are hated in most other countries when we visit. We don't take the time to recoginise that we are visitors there or at most, new residents to the area. If you really want to find your comfort zone then you need to locate an area of people who think and act like you. If you really want to ensure you and your values are welcome then find a place where everyone looks, thinks, and acts like you. Sounds mighty boring to me and I really don't think that is what you are looking for. Instead of worring so much about racism, educate yourself on local traditions and open your own mind to the possiblities that exist around you. Many of these "traditions / racist ways" are pretty much the same every where you go. The wording may be a little different or the way the locals go about coming to the end result just differs slightly from one location to the next. With that in mind and considering that even the transplants have told you how nice the area is in regards to raising a family and so on (ex. happyfamily2008). Consider your economic needs the most important. Change your views of needed support from local people from what you think you need; to accepting that they are just as new to you, as you are to them. They aren't your family and do not live in your household, so like you, each community has different desires, wants and needs. Certainly can't mistake the fact that racism does exist, always has and always will. The important thing is, are you going to be in danger, not are you going to get your feelings hurt because someone used words you choose not hear.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 07-17-2008 at 03:14 AM.. Reason: missing word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,840 times
Default Valdosta

Hello everyone, I just wanted to make a short post for months I was checking diffrent sites for information on Valdosta because my family and I were looking to move there and I kept getting mixed reviews, so finally oct 2008 I went for myself and my family and I loved it I am from Michigan and a bi raicial woman so diversity is very important to me well I loved Valdosta we were treated very nice found a townhome and a job in one vist meant some very nice people from the area that were more than helpful why am I posting this GO SEE FOR YOUR SELF WHEN YOU SEE ALOT OF NEGATIVE THING IT MAY JUST BE SOMEONES BAD EXPERIENCE. VALDOSTA IS A BEAUTIFUL CITY CAN'T WAIT TO MOVE THERE LATER THIS YEAR.

Old 01-22-2009, 03:09 PM

4 posts, read 8,964 times
Default Does anyone here know about the Lake Park area?

Can anyone tell me anything about the Lake Park area? Someone else asked there in September and only got two replies, one was mine. We live in Ohio and my husband's job is relocating us, possibly to Lake Park. We have two small children, and three dogs. It is very important to us that our kids get a good education and we live in a good safe neighborhood, nice friendly people would be good, too. I will need to work once we get wherever it is we end up going. I realize this will be tricky as I've been a stay at home mom for about nine years now. According to www.lakeparkga.com there are lots of jobs there, but, what I've read from these forums so far, that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course these websites can make anywhere look good, there is a city about 20 minutes from us now that we'd never ever live in but the website makes it look awesome. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-22-2009, 05:26 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,249,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malynnemiles View Post
Can anyone tell me anything about the Lake Park area? Someone else asked there in September and only got two replies, one was mine.

edit: never mind, i see you found my reply in the other thread.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:45 PM

207 posts, read 605,392 times
I live in South Florida and have spent some time in Valdosta. It is the hottest place I have ever been in the Summer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia