U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:38 PM

8,768 posts, read 13,240,150 times

Advertisements

Try Apartment Ratings :: The leading source of apartment reviews by renters for renters.

Keep in mind though that most people that post are motivated by anger over bad experiences so it seems everyone hates their apartments. However you can get a general trend or issues you should check into first at various places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 05:22 PM

179 posts, read 488,166 times
I love that website, but sometimes the apartments I'm searching for don't come up. If anyone is familiar with the aforementioned apartments, please tell me what you know about 'em! :-)

Old 05-18-2009, 07:23 AM

125 posts, read 380,698 times
The bus is another plus for Athens..the Athens Transit system makes it extremely easy to get around...

Old 05-18-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stapletonb4 View Post
The bus is another plus for Athens..the Athens Transit system makes it extremely easy to get around...

That's exactly what I want to hear!!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:15 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,078,292 times
competition is fierce for any job in this community. it is difficult for a young person to earn enough to live on working restaurant jobs. my son and his friends can back me up on that statement.

we do have crime. way too much of it. it is mostly at night in particular areas. we do have the projects and they are "breeding grounds" for criminals, BUT there are a number of apartment complexes I would not want my son to live in. i am not familiar with the ones you listed as we have dozens and dozens of complexes. you can live on a quiet street and one block over is a "bad" area.

with that said, you might do ok along Barnett Shoals RD. the bus runs that one i believe. but i believe the commissioners are not only considering raising the bus fare but also possibly changing some of the routes. you can check that out online i'm sure.

it is sad that almost every route into Athens passes thru some very seedy looking areas. sad as Athens truly used to be the "Classic City".

i would try and visit the city during a weekend and travel around to the apartment areas you are interested in on a Saturday and also Saturday nights. Athens can be a "small big city" in some ways. that is to say, the unwise can become a victim not only of crime but of lousy landlords etc.

Athens has good qualities to be sure. we have excellent medical support. decent shopping. some ok restaurants but nothing spectacular.

just be careful. observe. read before you sign. check out the neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:33 AM

Ollie, thanks for the advice. I do already have my Bachelor's degree and am definitely not looking for a restaurant job. I may potentially go back to school to get my Master's, but haven't thought about it too much as of yet. I'm in hospitality, my current position is half sales/half admin. I think I'll stick with it.

I think apartments in general are "breeding grounds" for crime and other problems, because habitants are generally less educated and have lower incomes (always a bad combination). Is there a specific apartment you would recommend?

Old 05-20-2009, 12:27 PM

no specific recommendations. i would check apartments along and just off College Station Rd, Barnett Shoals Rd, South Milledge Ave. I would not care to live anywhere along Hwy 78 north or south which runs thru town. there are some nice apartments along North Avenue which used to be a rougher part of the city. there are downtown condo/apartments for rent/sale which might be something to consider. if i were single, i think i would look as close into town as possible. there are many small apartment units around the university in residential neighborhoods that might be interesting, but you will have to look for them. might check out the Boulevard Ave area in the historical district. it is close to town and the university. i saw one or 2 signs yesterday "leasing for fall". i would give those close consideration for the quietness, convenience and beauty of the area. again, nothing along hwy 78 north or south. and that includes all the way out to the mall area. that is also known as the atlanta hwy. there is a large apt complex behind Beechwood Shopping Center (Alps Rd) which is convenient to theaters, shopping, Borders, banks, grocery, gym et al. but that is the ONLY place i might consider in that area. NOTHING along Baxter Street or around St. Mary's Hospital. Athens Regional Medical Center is another possibility altogether. but no specific recommendations.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,338,880 times
Athens has the best and most riden public transit service outside of metro Atlanta. The University Bus system has the second highest ridership of any public transit service after MARTA. It is free and available for all to use.
The Bus is fairly comprehensive for a city the size of Athens.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:12 PM

you mean the UGA buses are free? the city buses are not though students can ride for 'free' but that cost is covered in their student fees to the university. i am not understanding your post i guess.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:20 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,338,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
you mean the UGA buses are free? the city buses are not though students can ride for 'free' but that cost is covered in their student fees to the university. i am not understanding your post i guess.
Yes, the University busses are free to ride (of course students do pay via their transportation fee) but anyone can hop on the university busses, and they do go through downtown and down lumpkin street and loops back via Milledge ave. But even non students can ride the busses.. you don't have to show a student id to ride them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia