U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM

6 posts, read 19,557 times

Advertisements

Hi there all....

My husband recently received a job offer in Norcross, Ga and we are planning on moving very soon as he needs to start work immediately. I am relocating from Tallahassee, Florida, and I would like to find an area that is safe for me and my two very young children.

I am looking for an area with lots of parks (I would ideally like to walk to a park). I also want to live near farmers markets/food coop/Whole Foods Market. We are going to look in Lawrenceville and Duluth, but I am wondering if living inside the metro area would be a bad idea? Is it hard to nail down a safe spot.

Our budget is between $1000 and $1200.

Would really appreciate any advice... Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 07:24 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,831,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandared27 View Post
Hi there all....

My husband recently received a job offer in Norcross, Ga and we are planning on moving very soon as he needs to start work immediately. I am relocating from Tallahassee, Florida, and I would like to find an area that is safe for me and my two very young children.

I am looking for an area with lots of parks (I would ideally like to walk to a park). I also want to live near farmers markets/food coop/Whole Foods Market. We are going to look in Lawrenceville and Duluth, but I am wondering if living inside the metro area would be a bad idea? Is it hard to nail down a safe spot.

Our budget is between $1000 and $1200.

Would really appreciate any advice... Thanks!
I think you might find more housing options north of Norcross. I honestly don't know of specific subdivisions/apt complexes to suggest but there are many. Traffic patterns would be a consideration.

To go futher in the cost of housing would increase and locating near an effective school might be more of a challenge than you want at this time.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:45 AM

Well, both my children are under three so I am looking to a place where I can be busy and meet other parents. I would also like to get my toddler involved in some play groups.

I have been looking at the Grant Park area.....??????

Old 05-20-2009, 07:53 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,831,944 times
Quote:
Well, both my children are under three so I am looking to a place where I can be busy and meet other parents. I would also like to get my toddler involved in some play groups.

That would be a pretty complicated commute, imo.

Grant Park is SE/Atlanta and Norcross is NW of the city about 15 miles or so.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,776,875 times
Quote:

Not the ideal choice if hubby is working in Norcross. Most folks are moving into the city (and dealing with the issues that are present there) in order to avoid having to commute because they work intown. You'd be doing just the opposite.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:25 AM

593 posts, read 2,565,642 times
Well if you like parks, then you definitely want to be in Gwinnett county. They were ranked number 1 park system in the country.
If you like new and clean looking the fringe suburbs like Burford, Dacula, Auburn will have the best bang for your housing dollar. I don't know if that price range you quoted was for renting or buying but if you are buying, they can't give the houses away right now. This also means a longer commute time but plenty of people commute from this area to norcross each day. More established but a little more expensive towns would be sugar hill and suwannee which are a little closer in.
If the workplace is in the southern or western part of norcross you may find that fulton county is more convenient such as Roswell or Sandy Springs or Dunwoody. Those are very expensive places to live. In atlanta though it seems like even the expensive towns have something in lower price ranges, be them condos or townhomes or clusterhomes,

Old 08-02-2009, 11:00 AM
lks

2 posts, read 8,469 times
You might also look in Peachtree Corners -- zip 30092. I have lived here for 9 years. It's a great area -- close to interstates (5 miles from 85, 285, and 400), shopping, and parks.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:56 PM

289 posts, read 423,573 times
yes, peachtree corners is a nice area, possibly swanuee GA

Live close to your work, traffic can be a nightmare

Old 11-29-2009, 10:42 PM

Ok, so I know I posted this a while ago, but my family and I have been living in a relative's vacant house in Covington to save some money. Needless to say the commute has been a bear and we are all tired of it. We would really like to live near my husband's work which is really close to Peachtree Corners. Unfortunately, the rental houses are scarce and most are priced at $1300 or higher. We can't live in an apartment due to lots of tools and very large dog.

I found a place that I really like within walking distance to downtown and directly off Holcomb Bridge. It's also 2 miles from his work. Would that be an OK area? Would there be "transitional" areas surrounding the subburb? Also looking at places in Lilburn..... found a house I really like but hesitant to live on that side of Buford Highway.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:28 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,146,101 times
Quote:
Ok, so I know I posted this a while ago, but my family and I have been living in a relative's vacant house in Covington to save some money. Needless to say the commute has been a bear and we are all tired of it. We would really like to live near my husband's work which is really close to Peachtree Corners. Unfortunately, the rental houses are scarce and most are priced at $1300 or higher. We can't live in an apartment due to lots of tools and very large dog.

I found a place that I really like within walking distance to downtown and directly off Holcomb Bridge. It's also 2 miles from his work. Would that be an OK area? Would there be "transitional" areas surrounding the subburb? Also looking at places in Lilburn..... found a house I really like but hesitant to live on that side of Buford Highway.
If you are talking about the immediate area adjacent to Downtown Norcross off of Holcomb Bridge, that is a nice area. Do you have to cross the RR tracks to get to Main St? If so, no worries - and consider yourself lucky. Lot's of people would love to be within walking distance of that little area.

The shadier areas are East of Buford Hwy., sort of going towards Jimmy Carter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia