Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 12:14 PM

63 posts, read 222,650 times

Advertisements

OK already the day that I wrote this I was at the end of my rescue inhaler and very stressed about finding an inexpensive Clinic, before my oldest son moved out we had a bit of money to spare, but now its zip zero,and anybody that has asthma knows that stress will cause an attack, also on this day our cars were both robbed of our radios and GPS system, so I hope everyone can forgive me for my tirade, I know that no state is all good or all bad. We have traded a high crime area for a high cost of living (which unfortunately also has some crime). It is very hard to balance the scales when you are broke, as my daughter says not poor,broke you can get out of poor is a lot harder to deal with.The one thing I do wish for is to meet those people with southern hospitality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2009, 12:25 PM

593 posts, read 2,884,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmama11961 View Post
The one thing I do wish for is to meet those people with southern hospitality.
LOL
Some people are just hard to please.

Old 05-25-2009, 12:56 PM

10,804 posts, read 14,864,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Wouldn't the cost of living in much, if not most, of Georgia outside of metro ATL be BELOW national avg?????? Can't make that generalization.
Savannah is a wonderful town to visit as a tourist but you wouldn't want to live there. Schools are horrible, local politics hideous and the World Famous Victory Drive is the only neighborhood I know where $3 million houses butt up behind board up crack houses.

But for a vacation it's hard to beat!

Tybee Island it gets real pricey for what you get.

Don't take Georgia as the stereotypical poor southern place to live either. The two richest zip codes in the USA are both in Florida but the third richest is right in redneck southeast Georgia.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:57 PM

550 posts, read 1,630,851 times
When I moved to Georgia, nearly 20 years ago, I was SHOCKED by the polarization of the socio-economic classes in Georgia, compared to my home state of Minnesota.

Comparing Grady Hospital in Atlanta to HCMC in Minneapolis, both public hospitals, was like comparing night to day. Grady Hospital, in the early '90s was AT LEAST 50 years behind HCMC. At least.

You need to be SOLID MIDDLE CLASS to say the two economies are similar. For families living "on the edge", the economy of southern states is rough.

Education is another example, in Minnesota you can send your students to a highly-rated school even if your family is not wealthy, due to charter schools, open enrollment between districts, and magnet schools in the inner-city schools. In Georgia, you had better be able to afford a school district with decent schools or you are pretty much SOL.

That said, polarization of the socio-economic classes is becoming more apparent in Minnesota, and I imagine this is also true of other regions of the country which previously had a strong, liberal, policy of supporting the less-fortunate in society. The lower-economic class is growing too fast for it to be otherwise.

I used Minnesota as my example, because this is what I know... the OP is originally from another Midwestern state - Indiana, or so it would seem based upon his/her screen name.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:19 PM

10,804 posts, read 14,864,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
When I moved to Georgia, nearly 20 years ago, I was SHOCKED by the polarization of the socio-economic classes in Georgia, compared to my home state of Minnesota.

Comparing Grady Hospital in Atlanta to HCMC in Minneapolis, both public hospitals, was like comparing night to day. Grady Hospital, in the early '90s was AT LEAST 50 years behind HCMC. At least.
Being a yankee transplant myself it took some getting used to seeing a run down shack right next door to a $3 million house which in Georgia is a really nice house.

In education Georgia has made giant strides over the last decade and now spends within a couple hundred bucks per student when compared to California.

We have a good university system and junior colleges abound.

Georgia has great areas and then there are areas (que the Twilight Zone theme) you would think you stepped back in time 70 years to 1935.

I like it because I'll never have to worry about freezing to death.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:50 PM

11,334 posts, read 25,981,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I like it because I'll never have to worry about freezing to death.
In MN the various utility companies are prevented by law from turning service off during the winter months for precisely that reason.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:15 PM

I am actually from Rochester NY a real low class city with a whole lot of crime and bad schools, it seemed like every street corner had a memorial on it. I moved to Kennesaw because of no murders and then my daughter started going to Sprayberry a great high school and has pretty much requested that we not move from the area until she graduates in 2 years, and from what I have heard Kennesaw while a safe area is expensive, so for her sake I am trying to tough it out.I have been trying to find a cheaper house to live in ours takes a good bit of our income. Thanks for the information about Savannah we are going to take a trip there this summer so we can see the Ocean, on a positive note I could never been able to see all we can see here if I lived in NY it was Rochester, Syracuse (Junk Yard LOL0) or Buffalo not fun.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:18 PM

Oh my screen name is because I am Native American But NativeAmericanMaMa just sounded too long LOL

Old 05-25-2009, 06:34 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,723,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmama11961 View Post
Oh my screen name is because I am Native American But NativeAmericanMaMa just sounded too long LOL
OH!Now I get it!!I thought it said "INDIAN-A-mama".Like the state!LOL.Well I know its rough,especially a single mother.But I hope things get better for you.Just keep doing what you are doing and stay strong.I believe it will work out better for you.I know its esy to say but I believe hard work pays off.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 PM

593 posts, read 2,884,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Georgia has great areas and then there are areas (que the Twilight Zone theme) you would think you stepped back in time 70 years to 1935.
And then there are some areas you feel like you stepped back in time to 1955 (cue the banjos)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia