U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2007, 08:23 AM

4 posts, read 11,290 times
Default Black population in toccoa

Black population in toccoa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone

I just have a general concerned. I've been on the out skirts of toccoa and I was looking at property to move there. I want to be in the country setting. I have 5 kids and want to move them in a slower area. We need acreage and I came across some property that was reasonable.

But I looked at the demographics and the Black population there was very low. I'm not a prejudice person at all but, my concern is: when you move into a town that has not been used to change or multi-cultural setting SOME people are not wanting or willing to except that change in their town. It's understandable to because it's change and I would like to hear from some of you and your preception on this matter. I don;t want to enroll my kids in school and there's issues like hate and my teen and would have a hard time getting a job. The school percentage of blacks was 1% (amazing). I wonder if this has changed.
You know I would like to just have some honesty on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:30 PM

283 posts, read 813,963 times
Well I grew up on the south side of ATL and never even saw a black person until I went to school and even then I think she was the only black girl out of about 200 students. She later moved next door to my home and from what I could tell she was always welcomed. By time I got to middle school we probably only had 20 -25 blacks in our school and even though it not Tocca I think most GA citizens would agree that we really don't care about the color of your skin. Actions are what count. These black families that I grew up with are fantastic friends of mine that still come over to our family get togethers. I think chruches are generally harder to find acceptance for anyone no matter what your race and both of the chruches I attended thoughout childhood and adult before moving away also welcomed our black community with open arms. I would like to think that Tocca isn't much different and what I have seen in visiting I really don't think you would ever encounter a problem. Even though I am not black or even considered a minority I usually travel with a large variety of people and cultures. I have only experienced any kind of racial tension in large metro areas where some out of stater thinks they are still coming to visit the Confederate States of America.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:47 AM

9 posts, read 34,547 times
Default Toccoa

Hi,

I was just surfing for a new job in Toccoa and I came across your message on this site. I have lived in Toccoa most of my life except when I served in the military. I am white and I would just like to welcome you to Toccoa if you decide to move here. It really is a nice small town. It has it's problems just like everywhere; but, I cannot remember any real incidents involving racism here.

Of course, there is going to be some people but I dare you to go to any city and not find someone who has a problem with someone different than they are. I for one use the MLK Jr approach. Look at the content of their character. If someone is a good guy and doesn't go looking for trouble, then they are all right with me. If someone hangs around on the bad side of town looking for a fight and someone to score drugs for them, then I could do without them here no matter what the skin color.

We have low crime and new industries are coming in including a Lowe's. As for schools and there being a 1% ratio, I don't know if it is that low but either way, I have never seen anything but acceptance among the kids at the elementary school where my kids go. They don't really see any difference in kids of other races. Of course, I can't speak for the high school but what kid is really accepted in high school anyway? I've never heard of any incidents though.

You may feel uncomfortable here if you are accustomed to a higher ratio of blacks to whites; but, I think that would just be a personal issue because I can't believe you would have any problems.

I would also like to invite you to Grace Baptist Church if you are in town. We only have one family right now that is black but you are welcome and if you don't come then how will the ratio every change in our church or our city? I don't know if you will even read this because the post was from so many months ago; but, even if you don't read this in time to move here when you where planning, I hope this gives you a better feeling about Toccoa and other towns in north ga.

Stuart Coker

Old 01-29-2008, 05:27 PM

102 posts, read 326,916 times
Default What a nice post! Really!!

Quote:
I would also like to invite you to Grace Baptist Church if you are in town. We only have one family right now that is black but you are welcome and if you don't come then how will the ratio every change in our church or our city? I don't know if you will even read this because the post was from so many months ago; but, even if you don't read this in time to move here when you where planning, I hope this gives you a better feeling about Toccoa and other towns in north ga.

Stuart Coker

Stuart Coker:

Just had to tell you this is one of the nicest posts on this site. Good for you. Because of this I am looking at your town. We live in central NC and want to move to Ga for a variety of reasons. If we come, we will visit your church. On our visits to GA, we have found wonderful people. Very nice to see.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:00 AM

1,377 posts, read 2,076,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleswanson View Post
Well I grew up on the south side of ATL and never even saw a black person until I went to school and even then I think she was the only black girl out of about 200 students.
Are you sure that was the SOUTHSIDE of ATL? ATL doesn't have that many areas where the black population is that low, especially on the southside.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:19 PM

2 posts, read 8,318 times
Saludos! Hi everyone!

Thanks to Chrisga, Pickleswanson, Stuartcoker, luvsthebeach, and mactowngeorgiaboy. Thanks for give to all us that read your post, the joy of known that people like you are all around the world making each place of the Earth , a room of our one big house and the Humanity, our only one family. God bless you, and receive a warm hug and a seabrezze from the Enchanted Island, Puerto Rico (Borinquen), where tainos (our extinted natives), africans and spanish mixed and born the boricuas (puertorricans in taino language).

Old 11-09-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,709 times
My mother an i are planning to move to taccoa . I am nervous only because i am used to living in a larger city. I lived in stone mountain and lithonia and absolutely loved them both . I have 2 children 10 and 9 what schools and activities are available for them as well as jobs available for me.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:10 AM

4,033 posts, read 4,989,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Are you sure that was the SOUTHSIDE of ATL? ATL doesn't have that many areas where the black population is that low, especially on the southside.
There are parts of southside Atlanta that were very very white back in the day.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 AM

375 posts, read 749,688 times
Why is everyone so concerned about this? It's not like it was in the 60's. Come on folks we've gotten a lot smarter since then. Relations have improved drastically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia