U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Valdosta Vs. Warner Robins
Warner Robins 30 53.57%
Valdosta 26 46.43%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 11:10 AM

58 posts, read 166,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodbye Valdosta View Post
These people seem simple / narrow minded,and countryish.. just stuck in their way of doing things, since grandmama and grandpappy were slaves. They seem distrustful.
Perhaps these "simple-minded and countryish" people distrust you because they can sense your obvious contempt toward them. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 02:43 PM

177 posts, read 374,330 times
Although it would be nice to live closer to both the Gulf and Atlantic coasts, Warner Robins would win my vote, mostly based on sentimental reasons (I have some family there). However, they sure need to get a bigger/better variety of restaurants in town. The selection has improved over the last 10 - 20 years, but I think they have a long way to go.

Last edited by geog-fanatic; 12-03-2009 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: missed a word

Old 12-03-2009, 11:05 PM

4,461 posts, read 7,258,742 times
Valdosta gets my vote due to their quaint downtown. Though a positive for Warner Robins is their rolling hills in the area.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:19 PM

7 posts, read 11,253 times
no Valdosta have way more to do and i live in macon but from valdosta atleast in Valdosta there is a theme park a very nice university plus other nice schools in the area and valdosta is growing at a very fast rate already there building very tall nice hotels all over. valdosta also have a nice downtown which warner robbins dont have.

Old 08-28-2010, 05:27 AM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Middle GA economy is in the tank. Recently Macon and surrounding areas have been dubbed one of the 10 worst economies in the U.S. Warner Robins probably gets a bye on this since its population revolves around the base creating a more stable economy. Valdosta is similar with Moody AFB and Valdosta State University, it creates a stable work force with future opportunities as the university continues to grow. Commercially, I would say Valdosta is going to be a better place long-term over Warner Robbins because in addition to the gov't jobs, commercially Valdosta is doing better with its own airport, its location between Atlanta, Jacksonville, Tampa, Orlando and access to I-10 and I-75 with rail lines it makes for a great logistical hub in south GA. Although there may still be issues with racisim in all of South GA, as generations pass on this will be less and less of an issue, and Valdosta has managed to actually bring a more diverse population in the last 20 or so years attracting students/families from around the world.

Old 01-18-2011, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 3,482 times
I would pick Valdosta over Warner Robins. Even though, Valdosta does have racism. I'm not talking about whites being racist to blacks. That happens, but unfortunately when my new husband and I moved there years ago, the agent renting the house didn't, or couldn't for legal reasons, warn us about the neighborhood we were moving into. We were harrassed daily for being the only white people on our street. Our mail was stolen constantly, our fence spray painted, anything that was outside was stolen. I was harrassed while I was home alone when he was in Europe visiting family. The landlord, however, did release me from the lease that I signed because of everything that happened the few months we did live there. There is racism all over the south, but I really find it hard to place blame on one side or the other, because both sides perpetuate the hate and stereotypes. That being said, there aren't many places in the south you don't find some racism.

By the way, who cares about Macon?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:27 PM

4,140 posts, read 5,992,168 times
Valdosta

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,018,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeraelle View Post
I would pick Valdosta over Warner Robins. Even though, Valdosta does have racism. I'm not talking about whites being racist to blacks. That happens, but unfortunately when my new husband and I moved there years ago, the agent renting the house didn't, or couldn't for legal reasons, warn us about the neighborhood we were moving into. We were harrassed daily for being the only white people on our street. Our mail was stolen constantly, our fence spray painted, anything that was outside was stolen. I was harrassed while I was home alone when he was in Europe visiting family. The landlord, however, did release me from the lease that I signed because of everything that happened the few months we did live there. There is racism all over the south, but I really find it hard to place blame on one side or the other, because both sides perpetuate the hate and stereotypes. That being said, there aren't many places in the south you don't find some racism.

Way to go talking about others perpetuating hate and stereotypes then saying, "there aren't many places in the south you don't find some racism."

There arent many places all over the world you cant find some racism, period.

It's no worse here in the southern USA than anywhere else in these current times.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:40 AM

Location: Valdosta, GA (Northside), grew up in Emmitsburg, MD
94 posts, read 306,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_X View Post
Besides...someone earlier posted the County statistics, they are all much more similar than they are different. If Macon-Bibb was consolidated like Columbus-Muscogee and Augusta-Richmond to include several of the outer/nice/less crime areas....then the CITY crime statistics of each would be even closer. You cant ignore that.

I'm not saying Macon's is lower than the others, I know in most categories it is a little higher than the other 2nd Tier Cities, I'm just saying its not that much higher for you to carry on in the manner that you do.

You act as if Macon is Camden, NJ and Savannah/Augusta/Columbus are like Salt Lake City, Utah.

LOL...Come on man, ANYbody who has spent any significant time in each of these cities (in several parts of the cities) knows that they are not much better or worse than each other when it comes to crime.

In my opinion, while I think Savannah has the edge over the other 2nd Tier cities, their slums look creepier than the ones in the other cities.

AGAIN....The simple fact that you previously used city-data's crime index ratings to show how bad you felt Macon was, but also said u didnt "agree" with city-data's crime index ratings when it came down to Cleveland, let's me know that you're even willing to make double standards to bash on Macon.
Savannah has slums?? Where in Savannah are there any 'slums'?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Location: Valdosta, GA (Northside), grew up in Emmitsburg, MD
94 posts, read 306,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daeraelle View Post

Are there more blacks than whites in Valdosta? Or is that just because of the military there? I ask because when I was in the army about 15 yrs ago, there were more blacks and latinos than whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia