Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:36 AM

913 posts, read 2,984,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyCasonga View Post
I agree but would confirm that Columbus has lost more jobs than it has gained over the last 10 years correct?
The city lost twice the NCR jobs if not more when Charbroil dumped the city and headed to China alone.
I wouldn't think that at all. Columbus has gained a lot of jobs in the last 10 years or so. Char-Broil was a blow, but the city has gained that back already. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates of GA's major cities. Aflac alone is created 2000 new jobs. Every city has lost tons of jobs due to the recession, or as I like to put it, a mild depression. With BRAC, Kia and it's suppliers, Aflac, Road America, and now NCR, Columbus is poised for major growth in the next 2-5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 07:41 AM

88 posts, read 205,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
I wouldn't think that at all. Columbus has gained a lot of jobs in the last 10 years or so. Char-Broil was a blow, but the city has gained that back already. We have one of the lowest unemployment rates of GA's major cities. Aflac alone is created 2000 new jobs. Every city has lost tons of jobs due to the recession, or as I like to put it, a mild depression. With BRAC, Kia and it's suppliers, Aflac, Road America, and now NCR, Columbus is poised for major growth in the next 2-5 years.
Columbus is headed in right direction but have not had a very good track record in retaining companies over the years.
Unemployment rate should hold but I do not believe the city has gained anywhere close to the jobs lost in the last 10+ years at all.
Since Columbus is notorious for being a low wage town it will be interesting to see the effect this and BRAC will have on local businesses that have taken advantage of workers.
It will definitely be a win for city workers and a financial blow for existing local businesses looking to keep wage costs down.

Last edited by BradleyCasonga; 06-04-2009 at 08:13 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM

A counterpoint post from Atlanta forum.....

I've got nothing against the 800 jobs they're creating but they've been a net job loser for the last 20 years. Those jobs effectively are coming from Dundee, Scotland after RIF's and Waterloo, Canada which shut down. How happy would you be if Purdue bribed what's left of GM to move down? Well NCR is the GM of the tech world... increasingly irrelevant and dying slowly.

NCR isn't as able to build its ATM plants for the US in China/India b/c its simply not economical to ship a completed 1,000lb assembly around the world. It's always made sense I just think that Purdue handed them a lot of tax breaks for a company that isn't growing or going to benefit Georgia much in the long run.

NCR doesn't invest heavily in R&D, high tech or advanced manufacturing anymore. If they built a software development center staffed w/a 1,000 new software/mechanical/electrical engineers in metro Atlanta, I'd strongly applaud Purdue's actions but this was a pretty big tax giveaway to steal the other 1,200 jobs that were based in Dayton.

It may be a positive for GA in the short run but what happens when NCR loses more market share to IBM, Fujitsu, and our homegrown competitor Radiant? Do they have to hand back all their tax breaks if their furlough 500-1000 of those jobs in a year? NCR has had nearly 20 years of shrinking revenues...(core NCR and not Teradata which they sold off to appease shareholders).

In 1989, NCR was #72 on the Fortune 500 and bigger than Bristol-Myers Squibb, Merck, Northrop Grumman, Compaq, and Apple. The list may seem irrelevant but I'm sure Purdue wanted them for bragging rights that he negotiated a Fortune 500 to GA. Companies in healthier financial situations likely wouldn't jump ship on 125 years of history so quickly. What is to keep NCR in Georgia after they run out of their tax break? Beyond that, they haven't exactly put out a full price tag since the interview w/ Nuti mentions millions more were given from Gwinnett and Columbus. Apparently Columbus is buying the site for them and they'll just sign a lease for the place. This is a hell of a deal for NCR...we're handing them buildings, tax breaks, and tons of PR all so they'll put some jobs in our state. They don't even own any land/buildings in the state since they sold all their old manufacturing plants and offices. They have minimal ties w/ the state and will likely be shopping for a better deal from Florida, Texas, or Alabama before the ink is dry.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:46 AM

Sounds like you are against job creation in Columbus and GA in general. That's horrible in my opinion. I am sure others would agree.

Why not be happy that people in GA will be getting good, high-paying jobs?

Old 06-04-2009, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you are against job creation in Columbus and GA in general. That's horrible in my opinion. I am sure others would agree.

Why not be happy that people in GA will be getting good, high-paying jobs?

Absolutely not.
The post about NCR is not my personal opinion but is interesting reading.
As I said previously it will be very interesting to see how more high paying jobs from NCR,BRAC and KIA will affect the local private sector .
I suspect it will cause a pretty fair shakedown of more low paying local businesses who refuse to pay living wages but as you stated that is business and so they will just have to move on or close.
I think you will see the wage control practices by city business elites finally collapse in the next 2-3 years and will be a boom for city workers in higher wages and quality of life.
We can only hope as time will tell.

Last edited by BradleyCasonga; 06-04-2009 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-04-2009, 09:12 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,258 times
Just for the record, NCR announced they are locating their HQ in metro Atlanta, not Columbus or Savannah. A manufacturing plant will be built in Columbus creating about 850 factory jobs. The white collar HQ jobs will be in Duluth, GA.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:52 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
Hang in there ATLCOL, got the "with every silver lining, there is a big black cloud Bradley" going after you I see. What a downer. Why hasn't the attorney chimed in yet?

But more importantly, why aren't more people rejoicing for both the state of Georgia and for Atlanta and Columbus in particular?

Old 06-05-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Hang in there ATLCOL, got the "with every silver lining, there is a big black cloud Bradley" going after you I see. What a downer. Why hasn't the attorney chimed in yet?

But more importantly, why aren't more people rejoicing for both the state of Georgia and for Atlanta and Columbus in particular?
Thank you! I totally agree, why not be proud that Georgia is getting 2000+ good, high-paying jobs? People always want to complain about something. Thanks again for the support!

Old 06-05-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you! I totally agree, why not be proud that Georgia is getting 2000+ good, high-paying jobs? People always want to complain about something. Thanks again for the support!
I agree.
It is definitely time for a wage shakedown in Columbus for sure.
As has been stated by numerous posters if the local businesses don't like it then leave as they have never been good for workers and have held the city back essentially.
Local businesses are badmouthing the mayor because he asked for stimulus funds to pay for NCR move according to an interview he did with the Columbus Dispatch and cause them to have to raise wages/benefits or go out of business.
For more discussion on the NCR move see what the Atlanta posters are saying on the Atlanta Board.

The Columbus Dispatch : Columbus, Ga., seeks federal stimulus money to help NCR move from Dayton

Old 06-05-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

You guys sound very selfish and uncaring to say the least.
We are not taking jobs back from China or India......
Would Georgia be rejoicing if the jobs were going to Ohio and paid for with a stimulus plan that was setup to creat jobs rather than move them?
If you had a grip on local wages and were making a good profit over many years and then suddenly had to decide whether to come up with higher wages/benefits to keep good workers or close what would you say?
Just because an area is getting jobs does not mean you just have a party and forget about everything else involved.
It is kind of ironic that the city has lost hundreds of jobs yet little or nothing has ever been mentioned about the terrible consequences they have caused.
I guess if you just ignore it then it will go away correct?

Last edited by BradleyCasonga; 06-05-2009 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia