Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 06:40 AM

98 posts, read 229,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
Great news! Definitely would be a nice addition for Columbus. That would give Columbus 2 Fortune 500 companies and one Fortune 1000. TSYS might be a Fortune 1000, not sure. Hope this happens!
Oops....!!
What happened?
Columbus never had a remote chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 08:52 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam552311 View Post
Oops....!!
What happened?
Wrong again. The reporting on this keeps changing as more details emerge. Today they are reporting that the manufacturing jobs will be going to Columbus not Macon. I guess we'll all know for sure when Perdue makes the announcement later today.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM

98 posts, read 229,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Wrong again. The reporting on this keeps changing as more details emerge. Today they are reporting that the manufacturing jobs will be going to Columbus not Macon. I guess we'll all know for sure when Perdue makes the announcement later today.
I think this recent poster says it all regardless of where in Georgia they go.....
I was upbeat until I did a little background on NCR.

As a former employee of NCR, I'd just like to say they're not really as big a deal as its being made out to be. The company is far past its prime and destined to fall off the Fortune 500 in the next year or two despite having been on the list since its inception. In its prime it had over 60,000 employees in the early 90's down to roughly 20,000 today. The former AT&T had a lot to do w/ the company's terrible performance since they bought NCR and subsequently spun it back off in under a decade causing massive losses in human capital.

The company long ago dumped most of its high paying jobs and shipped a lot of its IT to places cheaper than Bangalore so a lot of the 1,300 jobs are simply admin and finance (which will be made up of people from Dayton rather than new hires here).

The company's single greatest achievement was firing Thomas Watson...the guy who made IBM what it is.

That said, I did enjoy my year and a half there. I got to write systems that millions of people use every day and work w/ Fortune 500 retailers hired straight out of college. Loved working w/ the people there but apparently putting in 60-70+ hr weeks for months at a time meant sub 3% raises. Raised my salary 45% at my next job and never looked back.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:01 PM

74 posts, read 202,076 times
Default 875 Jobs Coming to East Columbus

NCR is in fact moving the advanced ATM manufacturing facility to Columbus, GA in the old Mutec Building. NCR Press Release. Sources say they'll begin hiring as early as July and finish by the end of the year. Sounds aggressive. Very good news for Columbus. Link to map shows current residential and major jobs developments in Columbus. NCR is pin #68 (http://www.bing.com/maps/OneClickDirections.aspx?rtp=~pos.pdhd9y7xtjxz__NCR %20(865%20jobs)__e_&mkt=en-us&FORM=LLMP - broken link).

Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 PM

913 posts, read 2,985,304 times
Great win Columbus! Big wins for both Columbus and Atlanta!

Here is the Ledger-Enquirer Article:

Columbus to Get ATM Plant With 875 Jobs, $42 Million Annual Payroll

Quote:
ATLANTA – It’s a big jobs victory for Georgia, and Columbus is scoring a major piece of it.
Technology giant NCR announced today in the state capitol that it will move its corporate headquarters from Dayton, Ohio, to Metro Atlanta. It also will locate a manufacturing plant in Columbus that will employ about 875 people.

Columbus Mayor Jim Wetherington, Development Authority of Columbus Chairman Dick Ellis, Chamber of Commerce President Mike Gaymon and the Columbus region's top economic development recruiter Becca Hardin were in Atlanta for the announcement.

A local announcement is planned for the Government Center during the Columbus Council meeting, which starts at 5:30 p.m.

Columbus won a battle against other Georgia cities for the 875 high-paying, high-tech ATM manufacturing jobs that are expected to have an annual payroll of $42 million. NCR will move its corporate headquarters and 1,250 jobs to Duluth, Ga.

"We sold the total Georgia package, including Metro Atlanta and areas like Columbus and the other second-tier cities," said Gov. Sonny Perdue.

NCR reportedly looked at sites in Columbus and Savannah. Early Tuesday morning, an Atlanta newspaper and others reported the plant was going to Macon, but that error was quickly corrected.

"Columbus officials worked with the company and won the intrastate battle," Perdue said.

The NCR Columbus plant will be located in the former Mutec battery plant in Corporate Ridge industrial park. The plant, which was opened in 1988, has been partially vacant for about six months.
The company is expected to announce that it will begin production before year’s end. The move to Georgia will end a 125 years of NCR in Dayton.

In a memo sent to employees early Tuesday, NCR CEO Bill Nuti wrote that the company will have its “worldwide global self-service headquarters” in Duluth and a “state-of-the-art” manufacturing site in Columbus for NCR’s next-generation SelfServ ATMs, according to a report in the Dayton Daily News.
Nuti's memo indicated it was a business decision to make the company more competitive, according to the Ohio newspaper:

“The decision to consolidate functions in Georgia and build a corporate headquarters campus focused on innovation is in line with our business strategy to drive growth, improve our innovation output, increase productivity and continually upgrade our focus on the customer. In addition, we will decrease time-to-market for innovative solutions, improve our internal collaboration, deliver next generation employee education programs and lower our current operating costs.”

The state of Ohio reportedly countered with a $31.1 million incentive offer to keep NCR there. The Georgia offer was believed to be in the $60 million range, which includes tax breaks for creating up to 1,800 new jobs, property tax abatements and other incentives. The majority of thee Georgia incentives, $56.9 million, according to the Georgia Department of Economic Development, come from legislation passed this year by the General Assembly.

Perdue, also a businessman, said the decision to move makes sense for NCR.
"If I had been Bill Nuti, I would have done the exact same thing," Perdue said.
The state had been working with NCR since last fall when the company announced 900 jobs for Metro Atlanta. The total NCR employment in the state will be about 3,000 jobs, Perdue said.

"That equates to the core jobs brought by Kia," Perdue said.

Kia, a South Korean auto manufacturer, will begin production later this year in West Point, about 40 miles north of Columbus.

"These are high-tech, high-skilled jobs – engineers, innovators, marketers," Perdue said. "They will be highly paid individuals, well above the average pay in the communities they will be located."

Old 06-02-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I think this recent poster says it all regardless of where in Georgia they go.....
I was upbeat until I did a little background on NCR.

As a former employee of NCR, I'd just like to say they're not really as big a deal as its being made out to be. The company is far past its prime and destined to fall off the Fortune 500 in the next year or two despite having been on the list since its inception. In its prime it had over 60,000 employees in the early 90's down to roughly 20,000 today. The former AT&T had a lot to do w/ the company's terrible performance since they bought NCR and subsequently spun it back off in under a decade causing massive losses in human capital.

The company long ago dumped most of its high paying jobs and shipped a lot of its IT to places cheaper than Bangalore so a lot of the 1,300 jobs are simply admin and finance (which will be made up of people from Dayton rather than new hires here).

The company's single greatest achievement was firing Thomas Watson...the guy who made IBM what it is.

That said, I did enjoy my year and a half there. I got to write systems that millions of people use every day and work w/ Fortune 500 retailers hired straight out of college. Loved working w/ the people there but apparently putting in 60-70+ hr weeks for months at a time meant sub 3% raises. Raised my salary 45% at my next job and never looked back.
Grabbing at straws ROFL! This is the best attempt yet I must say.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Oops....!!
What happened?
ROFL!!!!!!!

What happened is that Columbus got 875 high-paying jobs!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:03 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,859,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
ROFL!!!!!!!

What happened is that Columbus got 875 high-paying jobs!
ATLCOL, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I see you and the city of Columbus get maligned so often in these forums that I am happy for both of you and a little 'in your face' back at these guys is rightly yours!

Old 06-03-2009, 09:28 AM

88 posts, read 205,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
ATLCOL, I don't have a dog in this fight, but I see you and the city of Columbus get maligned so often in these forums that I am happy for both of you and a little 'in your face' back at these guys is rightly yours!
And to be fair to all parties involved he has booted quite a few so I guess he may be even at this point.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboutmetro View Post
NCR is in fact moving the advanced ATM manufacturing facility to Columbus, GA in the old Mutec Building. NCR Press Release. Sources say they'll begin hiring as early as July and finish by the end of the year. Sounds aggressive. Very good news for Columbus. Link to map shows current residential and major jobs developments in Columbus. NCR is pin #68 (http://www.bing.com/maps/OneClickDirections.aspx?rtp=~pos.pdhd9y7xtjxz__NCR %20(865%20jobs)__e_&mkt=en-us&FORM=LLMP - broken link).
They reportedly started accepting applications yesterday and will hire 400 by the end of the year. They expect to reach 875 over the next five years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia