Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:11 AM

16 posts, read 174,814 times

Advertisements

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with some information about finding an apartment on Tybee Island. Any online papers I can check the classified sections ?? I have been checking Craigslist but not much on there for rentals. Looking for a yearly rental, mid or south end. Thanks for any info you can pass my way.

Last edited by NolatoTybee; 04-11-2007 at 03:12 AM.. Reason: wasnt finished
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 06:07 AM

I am also considering St.Simons Island since there seems to be more availability there. Any leads on either or online resouces to find apts. would be much appreciated.

Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM

233 posts, read 1,226,718 times
you can try the savannah morning news....
www.savannahnow.com

I am not sure where to look for St. Simon's. Sorry.

Have you tried.... www.apartments.com and others like that?

Old 04-11-2007, 07:54 PM

9 posts, read 110,743 times
Hey there:

Depends on what you're really looking for. St. Simon's is beautiful, but near NOTHING. Tybee year round rentals are limited; however, if your goal is to be within 10-15 min to the beach and near a small to mid size city, check out the other Savannah Area Islands. Wilmington Island, Talahi Island, Whitemarsh Island--there are some rentals available. 10-15 min to the beach, 10-15 min to downtown, 20-25 min to southside (malls, best buy, etc).

Let me know if you need more specifics.

Scott

Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Thanks Cpowers, I will try Savannahnow. Yes, I have tried all the places like apartment.com, but they list only apartment complexes, which are non-existant in Tybee. They had two listed for St.Simon.

Thank you also sdeeter. I have been to Tybee many many times, so I am familar with Wilmington, Whitmarsh, etc.
St.Simons I have only been once and it was many moons ago, but in my search for a home on Tybee, a few have suggested I try St.Simons instead.

My goal is to get away from the crime I am presently surrounded by in New Orleans and move to a nice little small town with kind, friendly people. Yet somewhere that has much charm, ambiance and interesting architecture. I am semi-retired, work part time from home and have no need to be near the city. I love Savannah, but a little too much crime there also. Which is why I thought Tybee or St.Simons would be perfect for me. So if I would have to drive 30 minutes for my once a month shopping that would not be a problem.

Mostly I am seeking peace and quiet and would love to be within walking distance to the beach. Can you tell me more about St.Simons ? And also, from what I have just told you about what I am seeking, does it sound like Wilmington would suit me ?? There are lots of places on Wilmington to rent and I thought perhaps that might be a good place to start, get my feet on the ground and then look for something on Tybee.

Thank you both so much for your help in anwering my questions. I am really looking forward to moving to Georgia.

~N~

Old 04-12-2007, 09:23 AM

595 posts, read 2,343,493 times
Definitely stay Tybee.
You have the relaxing island time, Crab Shack, and general slow pace of life, and Savannah is nearby.
Dare I say it's slower than New Orleans even (pace of life).

St. Simons is really in the middle of no where.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 AM

86 posts, read 437,783 times
Wilmington Island is a very nice place to live! I grew up on Wilmington Island, in Wilmington Park as a matter of fact....Lived in Savannah 19yrs before moving to the Atlanta area 14yrs ago......Tybee is a very very slow paced area, not so much during the middle of the summer, but for about 6-7 months out of the year it is pretty much empty.....I am not even sure if they have yet to build a real grocery store on Tybee yet have they? Man, had a many good times on Tybee as a kid.....many drinking times too.....:O

Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
There's a grocery store out there, but most people use the Publix on Whitemarsh island for their major shopping.

I imagine the OP has already done the basic google search of Tybee Island rentals. From what I can tell, it's hard to find affordable year-round rentals there, and those that are available are not available for long, as they get snapped up by the few remaining locals who haven't left. It's still such a small community that those kinds of rentals are generally advertised by word of mouth.

It's gotten expensive. I still spend a fair amount of time there at a friend's place, especially during the off-season.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:04 AM

Thanks all for your replies. If anyone lives on or near Tybee or has any friends who live on or near Tybee who might be interested in passing info my way about apartments for rent, I would be glad to pay them for their help. Sounds like my best bet would be to head that way for a couple weeks and see what I can find. Walk around and look for rental signs and talk to the locals.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:12 AM

Brewboy - Yes, there is a cute little grocery store mid island and a couple of convenience stores on each end of island.

Ellie - Yes, I have googled and goggled all possible options. Not much coming up. I have done my research, visited numerous times, now I just need to find a place to lay my head and rest. Which sounds like it shall require one more visit.

Vampgrrl - if you are still planning on moving to Nola, you may be interested in my apt.

Again, thank you all for your feedback, its most appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia