Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 PM

8 posts, read 39,847 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Valdosta, we currently live in Rhode Island.Whenever we tell people we are moving South they always bring up racism. Is racism really that prevalent? In the Northeast there are many interacial couples to the point where is never an issue. Am I being nieve? Should we reconsider our move? All opinions are welcome. Thanks Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2007, 05:29 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
It's not a problem here in Columbus. I know several couples that are bi-racial (B/W, B/A, W/H, B/H and W/A). One couple moved here from Savannah, because they were having many problems with people there. Bi-racial couples are excepted here no problems. We're just nice people. It seems as though the further you go south or north of Atlanta, Columbus, Macon and Augusta the crazier things get.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:49 PM

7 posts, read 37,853 times
Are there any other opinions about this? I'm in an IR relationship myself and we are thinking about moving down south.

Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 AM

45 posts, read 209,922 times
Iam an interracial couple also B/H. Im thinking about relocating to
dallas ga from new york. which looks like its majority white. I don't know if we will be accepted there

Old 04-13-2007, 01:02 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
My guess is that some people are going to silently disapprove, but most aren't going to care that much.

Disapproval could come from both the black community and the white. If half of you are Asian or Latin, I'm not sure that anyone would even realize that anything was odd. Opinions could vary from area to area even within one city. But no one will say that they've never seen an IR couple before, it's not that unusual.

Areas with a higher military population, or Atlanta might be better choices if you're worried about it.

Last edited by ellie; 04-13-2007 at 01:16 PM..

Old 04-14-2007, 06:17 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
It's not a problem here in Columbus. I know several couples that are bi-racial (B/W, B/A, W/H, B/H and W/A).
Would you agree that the proximity of a large military installation to Columbus has help change the attitude and demographics?

Being military, I've found within 50 miles of any major fort or base that it's a cultural melting zone -- not so much with smaller installations, but larger ones like Ft. Benning, yes.

I'd say in Valdosta, like any smaller town, in some places you'll be accepted and some you'll get stares.

Also, like anywhere, there's the totally ignorant section of the population that will throw bad comments your way.

Much of it is how you carry yourself. If you go looking to make of issue out of race, you'll find someone to oblige anywhere you go.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:11 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,186,891 times
I would agree that Fort Benning has help to change the attitude and demographics, but Ft. Benning is not the only reason. Having industry here like AFLAC, Total Systems, Pratt and Whitney, a large medical industry and education industry that has helped. These industries have a large minority employee base. Even the church I attend is integrated (which is only natural since we believe that Heaven will have all races of people) and have several mixed couples who are not military and only one of those have been in the military. Never the less, we appreciate Fort Benning because it brings a dynamic to the town, which makes it even more of a nice place to live and thrive.

Old 05-20-2007, 02:40 PM

4 posts, read 23,095 times
In larger cities (Atl, Savannah, Athens, etc) you will have a much easier time. Many Southerns are born and bred here and have been for generations. My family is Old South and while I am not racist at all my family is. I am 19 and when my mother found out I was going out to dinner with a black friend she made me come home immediatley. Good Luck.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:35 PM

8 posts, read 36,775 times
I have lived in small town Georgia for more than 17 years, 10 of which have been in Valdosta. Racism is NOT an issue here anymore. Bi-racial couples are not at all uncommon here. With Moody Air Force Base, Valdosta State University and a very supportive community, you will have no troubles here. Contrary to "caution"'s comment, you'll get no stares here. This is a wonderful town to bring up a family,bi-racial or not. Our neighborhood is an upper-middle class area (90-95% of homes in the county are less expensive than ones in our neighborhood) that is racially diverse and wonderfully close.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:47 PM

1 posts, read 5,230 times
I need some info about high school.My kids will be attending this year.Any Advise ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia