U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2008, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,976 times

Advertisements

So much for my considering to move to Georgia..! You guys have spoiled it. You people in the South are corny; that's why there's a tendency in other states to refer to you guys as "Southerners", in other words, culturally challenged. You guys are still advocating racism, what a shame! You all would be laughed at in such diverse cities as Anaheim, Seattle, San Diego, or Vegas... OMG, you'd probably feel like you're suffocating being around so many different groups that do pretty well together - that would probably **** you guys off pretty badly, wouldn't?

I'm looking at inner-city Atlanta... all I'm seeing there is Blacks, why? I guess white people go, 'uhm, too many Blacks there, not a place for us'. Then you go some 20 miles outward, you find nothing but Whites... what a joke! Even worse, I'm learning on here that they are segregated areas there where one should be afraid if of a certain race, or if gay... how lame!

I'm reading the stats on Atalanta... could be an even greater city than many others - even in the West Coast - but that sort of cultural hinder/disadvantage is sadly holding the city back. I'm thinking this has to have an effect on why housing is DEPRECIATING so overwhelmingly out there!

Don't get me wrong, obviously there are segregated groups in the West, but this day and age, it has become a preference/comfort level to those who do group, more so than a deliberate act of racism... and that's mostly seen in the lesser cities. In larger cities in the West, EVERYBODY MINGLES, EVERYBODY'S COOL!

So if you're reading this... hmmm, you don't have to deal with that type of retardation... maybe you should rethink about where you want to live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
~~~~
It is really not accurate to paint the entire state of Georgia with such a broad brush. There has been change---there will be more change.

There is a good article about the international flags displayed outside of Gainesville High school at ajc.com today>>>>
http://www.ajc.com/search/content/metro/stories/2007/01/29/0130metflags.html (broken link)

Gainesville --Hall/Forsyth counties would have many 'Old Southerners'/just as the Cobb residents that you described. Georgia is becoming progressive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 10:09 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,035,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephhon s. View Post
I'm looking at inner-city Atlanta... all I'm seeing there is Blacks, why? I guess white people go, 'uhm, too many Blacks there, not a place for us'. Then you go some 20 miles outward, you find nothing but Whites... what a joke! Even worse, I'm learning on here that they are segregated areas there where one should be afraid if of a certain race, or if gay... how lame!
Um, I can't say that I have seen anywhere up to 20 miles out from Atlanta that has "nothing but Whites." Can you be specific about the area to which to are referring?

Old 01-11-2008, 10:11 AM

1,636 posts, read 3,644,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
Um, I can't say that I have seen anywhere up to 20 miles out from Atlanta that has "nothing but Whites." Can you be specific about the area to which to are referring?
If you look it's his first post and is obviously just trying to cause controversy......

Old 01-11-2008, 11:32 AM

1,281 posts, read 3,035,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
If you look it's his first post and is obviously just trying to cause controversy......
Yeah, I guess I took his bait. I am not from the south, but obviously live in metro Atlanta now. I do tend to get tired of the old "Atlanta is so racist, segregated, etc." threads. I would genuinely like to know what area that people are comparing it to, when in my experience, this is one of the least segregated areas that I have had experience with. I would be very interested to know where this mythical, perfectly diverse place exists where all races live together in peace, dine together, worship together, send their kids together, etc. without any friction - I mean this in all seriousness. As I have said in other posts, my diverse Suwanee neighborhood would not exist in many places up north. It is an area of 200000 to 500000 dollar homes, with people from all races and ethnicities. My street is half African American, partially Korean, and the rest white. Visitors from Michigan, Ohio, and other northern areas literally do not know what to think about the demographics of the area in which I live, often questioning whether or not it is "a good neighborhood" and expressing surprise that the most expensive houses on the street belong to African American families. Who is more "racist" (the correct term is actually "prejudiced," but that's another post) - the northerner who lives in a segregated area where they don't live within 30 miles of a minority, or a metro Atlantan who actually lives among a diverse population (Forsyth county being the obvious but changing excpetion). The area where I grew up in NE Ohio has suburb after suburb after suburb almost without a single minority - the high school that I attended has about 3000 kids and still only 2 or 3 black students - and that is typcial, not the exception in NE Ohio. That demographic just does not exist in metro Atlanta - even the Forsyth county schools are more diverse than that.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:06 PM

888 posts, read 2,205,022 times
Default racism is everywhere

I moved to Connecticut this past summer where I thought they loved everyone here considering the LIBERAL northeast. The racists here are just closet racists. It seems they find nooses every couple weeks put under cars or at work places. This is on the news all the time and they say the south is racist.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 PM

9 posts, read 76,210 times
Default racism as an excuse

I feel a lot of time people use racism as an excuse for their own failings. Get out of it! Take responsibility. Maybe it is not racism but your own attitude that is making people behave as they are.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:46 AM

9,047 posts, read 16,465,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephhon s. View Post
Don't get me wrong, obviously there are segregated groups in the West, but this day and age, it has become a preference/comfort level to those who do group, more so than a deliberate act of racism... and that's mostly seen in the lesser cities. In larger cities in the West, EVERYBODY MINGLES, EVERYBODY'S COOL.
What about the Latinos in Los Angeles that are "ethnically cleansing" blacks and admitting it? Oh thats right, L.A. is not in the south so it must just be a rumor.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:45 AM

7 posts, read 18,370 times
I, too, was concerned about moving to the "deep south". I am a Canadian and had only heard/read about racial issues. I'm thrilled to say that even in this small town - St Marys - I have never run into anything even remotely apporaching racial intolerance. I spedn a great deal of time now disabusing others of the stereotype "red-neck, white-sheeted yahoo" that is so often portrayed in movies.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:48 PM

177 posts, read 25,374 times
Hey c`mon guys....he (stepphon or however the nutjob spells it) used the word "corny"....LOL...I havent heard that word since at LEAST the mid 90`s...We really cant take a guy serious who chooses "corny" to articulate himself now can we??LOL

Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 PM

384 posts, read 72,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What about the Latinos in Los Angeles that are "ethnically cleansing" blacks and admitting it? Oh thats right, L.A. is not in the south so it must just be a rumor.
I think black and latino gangs vs each other in LA is kinda old now. I have a cousin who stays in the heart of south central in the ghetto. Unless you are in a gang or somebody is doing a drive by or a robbery. And you are in the wrong place at the wrong time you have nothing to worry about. This is more about desperation and poverty more than race. When you lumped poor people together in a isolated area this happens. Some think its a competition whether its between housing or jobs. There are latino gangs who are doing the same with white people in LA. It is over blow though since its only happening in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia