U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-11-2009, 12:53 PM

91 posts, read 131,900 times
Default Closest Beach to Athens?

My girlfriend and I will probably be moving to Athens soon so she can attend grad school and we were wondering if there are any beaches less than 5 hours away?

How do they compare to the beaches in the Gulf or is it worth driving the extra distance to go to the Gulf?
Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-11-2009, 01:48 PM

63 posts, read 149,263 times
Savannah or somewhere in South Carolina will be where you would go, and they look close to the same distance away. Savannah area beaches are nice but the Gulf of Mexico beaches are much nicer. I have never been to SC so I can't help there, but the beach area I hear the most about is Myrtle Beach, which is up the coast closer to NC.
We just ruled out Athens because it is too far from the ocean, but is a nice enough area.

Unread 06-11-2009, 02:08 PM

214 posts, read 578,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sray017 View Post
My girlfriend and I will probably be moving to Athens soon so she can attend grad school and we were wondering if there are any beaches less than 5 hours away?

How do they compare to the beaches in the Gulf or is it worth driving the extra distance to go to the Gulf?
Tybee Island is a great beach in Savannah. I live in Savannah and it takes me around 4 hours to get to Athens. Hilton Head, SC is in the Savannah area as well and has great beaches.

Unread 06-11-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Savannah or somewhere in South Carolina will be where you would go, and they look close to the same distance away. Savannah area beaches are nice but the Gulf of Mexico beaches are much nicer. I have never been to SC so I can't help there, but the beach area I hear the most about is Myrtle Beach, which is up the coast closer to NC.
We just ruled out Athens because it is too far from the ocean, but is a nice enough area.
She was looking at Tampa... and while she was looking I was praying for Tampa.

But Athens seems like a really nice area and a great school for her. So we'll sacrifice the beach if we must.. but not for long.

Unread 06-11-2009, 03:35 PM

63 posts, read 149,263 times
Very noble of you! The area and school are both very nice, especially if you like football and live music.
You'll have a few years close to the mountains, just make the best of those and then head for a beach! Good luck!!

Unread 06-11-2009, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Very noble of you! The area and school are both very nice, especially if you like football and live music.
You'll have a few years close to the mountains, just make the best of those and then head for a beach! Good luck!!
Unfortunately we're moving away from the good football (Roll Tide ). But we'll make the best of some OK football and get to the beach when we can. We're not really mountain people. Give us some sun and sand and we're good for a long time.

I think we'll make it... maybe.

Unread 06-12-2009, 05:53 PM

Location: College Station, TX now but Snellville is still home.
400 posts, read 276,259 times
I think it would probably be worth the extra drive just to go to Panama City Beach.
It's practically the unofficial official beach for Atlantans. In fact, I'm going there next week!

Unread 06-13-2009, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I think it would probably be worth the extra drive just to go to Panama City Beach.
It's practically the unofficial official beach for Atlantans. In fact, I'm going there next week!

We visited Athens yesterday/part of today. She wasn't very impressed with the town or the school for that matter. It is very nice but it's much of the same stuff that's available here in Birmingham. We'll be visiting Tampa towards the end of July; hopefully she'll like it so we can be close to St. Pete.

Thanks for all y'all's help and info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia