U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 07:50 PM

1,907 posts, read 4,018,075 times

Advertisements

Columbusattorney, does this particular incident have to do with "rap culture"...I'm asking, I dont know, I havent clicked on the article yet. I agree that alot of rap (in particular mainstream rap) preaches some total immoral behavior for the most part, but the notion that "rap/hip hop" culture as a whole, in general, is some kind of movement such as you stated is not true.

People involved in hip hop/rap/hood or whatever culture you want to call it do not pick on other blacks for simply being "smart"....but they may pick on you if your actions or appearance are too "nerdy"

That's not just a black or rap thing, "nerdy" looking/acting people get picked on by the "jock" and "prep" whites too.

If you even have SOME of the same interests, even the most "gangster" of hoodlums can give a crap if you make good grades or not, some of them will even tell you to go off to college and get out of the hood.

I was on the honor roll all of my life, took AP courses, and involved in activities such as the beta club and not once did anybody tease me for being a sell out, nerd or whatever. I guess you can say that because I enjoyed going to some of the same parties, listening to some of the same music, playing basketball, and talkin to females....the fact that I made good grades and stayed in a more middle class section of East Macon did not cause any trouble for me.

I know there is an abundance of problems within Rap Culture and Young Blacks, but not all of rap culture is like that and even among the "trouble makers" they still arent THAT darn ignorant.

While I was at Northeast Macon High a couple years ago, the "coolest" and most popular dude was also the Valedictorian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:33 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,601,274 times
King_9.5,

Far be it for me to answer for Columbusattorney, but I do not think he was referring to simple school yard 'class warfare' such as you mention. A culture (or movement, if you will) extends far beyond the halls of a school.

With your response I am reminded of a line from the movie Ferris Bueller's Day Off when the school secretary explains to the principal Ferris' status among the student body...
Quote:
Oh, he's very popular Ed. The sportos, the motorheads, geeks, sluts, bloods, waistoids, dweebies, d*ckheads - they all adore him. They think he's a righteous dude.
(This movie was made over twenty years ago... and the 'bloods' reference is thug today)

The point is, that it is not what status you have during your high school years that matters. Its the ten years after high school (in which the rap culture seems to have extended to and beyond) that seems to make up this culture.
It is my belief that as we mature into the mid twenties we collectively 'get it'. Some earlier, some later... but as a whole it is somewhere around the mid twenties. The whole working (and saving) for what you want kinda hits you in the face around this time. It has been that way for a very long time... until just recently. I am not sure if it is a lack of wanting or the whole working and saving part that has changed... but something has. What was once a drive for a decent home and a decent car has morphed into a 'look at me, right now' culture. "Bling" was not even a word twenty years ago. Twenty four inch rims were made for really big vehicles... where they fit, and we did not rent them, we bought them. If you dressed like a hood (thug) it was because you were one... not pretending to be one.
This is different than the whole 60's 'Make love not War' era. And although this era was an anti-establishment movement, it was practically on the polar opposite of what we find today. Back then it was, for the most part, an isolation attitude. That is certainly not the case in these times. Ten, fifteen maybe twenty years ago if you were 'bad' you certainly did not draw attention to your self. These days looking 'bad' is the norm. Perhaps it is some protection mechanism.....

Old 06-19-2009, 06:52 PM

305 posts, read 767,644 times
I do not think that you understand nor listen to rap music. These guys cannot rap about growing in a house surrounded by picket fences...that is not what they know, they grew up in areas where they were dodging bullets, just like Serena and Venus Williams. I agree that parental guidance is key, but lets be honest if i live in a poor neighborhood, i promise you that the schools and teachers are merely giving these kids the necessary tools to become successful. Government needs to INVEST in these neighborhoods.

I grow up listening to rap music, just like some kids grow up listen to hardcore heavy metal...I became a successful black woman...all of my friends did. There are many great rappers: Mos Def, Talib Kwali, Common, Wyclef Jean. Wyclef Jean has a foundation in Haiti that feeds and educates the poorest children in the western hemisphere.

To say that rap music is anti-intelectual is a gross generalization...one would say the same about country music then because they both do the same thing...tell their story

take your time and just LISTEN...

Old 06-19-2009, 08:39 PM

to reply to my own post

Dog fighting is wrong...no matter who does it...but the problem is deeper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrynyc View Post
I do not think that you understand nor listen to rap music. These guys cannot rap about growing in a house surrounded by picket fences...that is not what they know, they grew up in areas where they were dodging bullets, just like Serena and Venus Williams. I agree that parental guidance is key, but lets be honest if i live in a poor neighborhood, i promise you that the schools and teachers are merely giving these kids the necessary tools to become successful. Government needs to INVEST in these neighborhoods.

I grow up listening to rap music, just like some kids grow up listen to hardcore heavy metal...I became a successful black woman...all of my friends did. There are many great rappers: Mos Def, Talib Kwali, Common, Wyclef Jean. Wyclef Jean has a foundation in Haiti that feeds and educates the poorest children in the western hemisphere.

To say that rap music is anti-intelectual is a gross generalization...one would say the same about country music then because they both do the same thing...tell their story

take your time and just LISTEN...

Old 06-19-2009, 10:32 PM

1,940 posts, read 8,189,322 times
Quote:
Government needs to INVEST in these neighborhoods.
And that is the very problem.

You people keep waiting on the government to rescue you instead of doing it yourself.

The government is "us", and I have no desire to invest in a people that won't invest in themselves.

Not once when I've been in a position of despair have I pleaded for the government, that's you and everyone else, to come to my aid.

I, like every other American who's led a meaningful and productive existence, took the necessary steps to remedy the situation myself (with the help of my creator, God almighty).

Lesson.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:26 PM

NO! "you people" are the problem,

you are talking about government help....go to Wisconsin, south Dakota how many whites are on welfare...I guess it's okay right. Blacks are not the only ones who get welfare...trust me.

Many minorities are on welfare, but what is not reported is how many get out of welfare...nothing wrong with getting government help, we were not born with a silver spoon in our mouths, we are not trust fond baby, no one left us a huge inheritance. When government help is used as a temporary situation it is OK, but when it is abused, I agree that it is wrong, people of all color abuse this government help, let's be honest here.

We do not need the help from people like you...
I didn't ...I paid for my education by working 2 jobs...i have my Bachelor's degree in nursing. I didn't need YOUR help.,,thank you!

You have no clue of what's going on outside of your white picket fences...
Thank God we have people in our community and even in the white community that have the courage to have this dialogue with minorities. They want to make a difference.

Would you send your children to school in a black neighborhood...no, because they will not get the appropriate education due to the simple fact that government does not invest in those kids...I did a research on this matter.

That's the reason why I will send my son to a private school, he DESERVES to have that chance to have the best education he can get...
If you do not want to be part of the solution...it's quite alright, don't complain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
And that is the very problem.

You people keep waiting on the government to rescue you instead of doing it yourself.

The government is "us", and I have no desire to invest in a people that won't invest in themselves.

Not once when I've been in a position of despair have I pleaded for the government, that's you and everyone else, to come to my aid.

I, like every other American who's led a meaningful and productive existence, took the necessary steps to remedy the situation myself (with the help of my creator, God almighty).

Lesson.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
oh snap!

Quote:
you are talking about government help....go to Wisconsin, south Dakota how many whites are on welfare...I guess it's okay right. Blacks are not the only ones who get welfare...trust me.
I never said white people weren't on welfare. "You people" is not a color.

Quote:

I didn't ...I paid for my education by working 2 jobs...i have my Bachelor's degree in nursing. I didn't need YOUR help.,,thank you!
Well that's fantastic. Why can't everyone else follow your example instead of asking for a handout? And I say that with the least acerbic tone possible. How can a person who worked as hard as you be a proponent of creating a bypass for those that aren't as ambitious? I'm inspired by your fortitude, but disappointed by your ideals.

Quote:
You've got me pegged.

Quote:
Would you send your children to school in a black neighborhood...no, because they will not get the appropriate education due to the simple fact that government does not invest in those kids...I did a research on this matter.
I once went to a school that was 75% black. There was no lack of funding, but the teachers spent most of their time trying to contain all those unruly children. The government didn't create that atmosphere; the parents who refused to be parents did.

Quote:
That's the reason why I will send my son to a private school, he DESERVES to have that chance to have the best education he can get...
Of course he does. I send my child to a private school as well. I have more respect for public school teachers though because of what they have to put up with.

Quote:
If you do not want to be part of the solution...it's quite alright, don't complain!
I have every right to complain when its my tax dollars being spent in a fashion I do not agree with.

Just for the record; I spent the early part of my life dirt poor. I didn't know I was dirt poor, but I remember what it was like. My father worked night and day though to later become extremely successful, and set the bar high for me. While I know we were eligible for welfare, food stamps, etc. . ., that was never an option for my parents. I believe the welfare system was the worst thing to ever happen in this country. I live in a mostly black area; I have many black friends, and I feel confident saying I know black people. Most of my black friends will agree with much of what I've said. They're all intelligent, hard working, successful people (my friends). They came from poor families, but families who instilled values in them and actually spent time with their children encouraging them to do better than the lives handed to them.

Slothfulness is not a color, but seems to have rooted itself deeply in the black community. Along with the art of vindication.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
oh snap!

Quote:

Quote:

Well that's fantastic. Why can't everyone else follow your example instead of asking for a handout? And I say that with the least acerbic tone possible. How can a person who worked as hard as you be a proponent of creating a bypass for those that aren't as ambitious? I'm inspired by your fortitude, but disappointed by your ideals.

Quote:
You've got me pegged.

Quote:
I once went to a school that was 75% black. There was no lack of funding, but the teachers spent most of their time trying to contain all those unruly children. The government doesn't create that atmosphere; the parents who refused to be parents did.

Quote:
Of course he does. I send my child to a private school as well. I have more respect for public school teachers though because of what they have to put up with.

Quote:
I have every right to complain when its my tax dollars being spent in a fashion I do not agree with.

Just for the record; I spent the early part of my life dirt poor. I didn't know I was dirt poor, but I remember what it was like. My father worked night and day though to later become extremely successful, and set the bar high for me. While I know we were eligible for welfare, food stamps, etc. . ., that was never an option for my parents. I believe the welfare system was the worst thing to ever happen in this country. I have many black friends, and I feel confident saying I know black people. Most of my black friends will agree with much of what I've said. They're all intelligent, hard working, successful people (my friends). They came from poor families, but families who instilled values in them and actually spent time with their children encouraging them to do better than the lives handed to them.

Slothfulness is not a color, but seems to have rooted itself deeply in the black community. Along with the art of vindication.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:07 PM

I am not trying to convince you, I've said what I have to say...

Please do not use the term "you people" around minorities...it can offend many...even your black friends I am sure...i should not have used...it was really tit for tat...but honestly it is irritating..."you people" is not a color, but clearly this thread is about black people...let's not be oblivious here!

It IS a fact that inner city schools do not have the same founding in comparaison with other schools...

When something hurts you what do you do about it? Do you not try and find a way to ease the discomfort, instead of complaining about the pain without seeking help? The same applies here, you are worried about your tax $, well try and find a productive rather than destructive solution, instead of watching on the sidelines...

I wish you the best
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
oh snap!

You've got me pegged.

I once went to a school that was 75% black. There was no lack of funding, but the teachers spent most of their time trying to contain all those unruly children. The government doesn't create that atmosphere; the parents who refused to be parents did.

Just for the record; I spent the early part of my life dirt poor. I didn't know I was dirt poor, but I remember what it was like. My father worked night and day though to later become extremely successful, and set the bar high for me. While I know we were eligible for welfare, food stamps, etc. . ., that was never an option for my parents. I believe the welfare system was the worst thing to ever happen in this country. I have many black friends, and I feel confident saying I know black people. Most of my black friends will agree with much of what I've said. They're all intelligent, hard working, successful people (my friends). They came from poor families, but families who instilled values in them and actually spent time with their children encouraging them to do better than the lives handed to them.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Please do not use the term "you people" around minorities..
get over it.

Quote:
It IS a fact that inner city schools do not have the same founding in comparaison with other schools...
It is a fact that rural south georgia schools do not have the same funding as metro ATL schools. Why? Our tax base is not as large. I would reason that inner city schools do not have as much money because their tax base is poor. Not our fault.

Quote:
When something hurts you what do you do about it? Do you not try and find a way to ease the discomfort, instead of complaining about the pain without seeking help? The same applies here,
I don't go running to the government for help.

Quote:
you are worried about your tax $, well try and find a productive rather than destructive solution, instead of watching on the sidelines...

I wish you the best
I have every right to be concerned about my tax money. For me, a productive solution is making sure not another dime gets wasted in places it can do no good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia