Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 PM

283 posts, read 1,193,403 times

Advertisements

Would anyone in middle or south GA have an interest in these types of communities?

What if they could be combined to include all 3?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 08:38 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,094,353 times
I'll bet a combination of all three would be very expensive! I'm sure there is something like that out there, but I don't know any in Georgia. Hopefully someone who does will reply. Meanwhile, I have these three possibilities for you here:

The closest fly-in subdivision to Atlanta as far as I know is Mallards Landing in Henry County.

Little Tobesofkee Creek Ranch is a fly-in equestrian community in Barnesville, Georgia (Lamar County) with 10-acre lots.

Then there is Gentle Landings Airpark in Roberta, Georgia (Crawford County). Gentle Landings isn't a golf or equestrian community, but it is fly-in, rural and has a community lake and pecan grove.

But here is a list that includes 15 airpark communities in Georgia: Click for list (http://www.airparks.com/list/listcgi.php - broken link)

Last edited by Figment 07; 04-07-2007 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: Add info and link

Old 04-08-2007, 01:15 AM

Well thank you Figment, this website was very helpful indeed. I have seen many communities with one maybe even two but never all 3 and many of friends would like to see something like this but if my friends are all I can depend on to buy from me then it wouldn't really be feasable for me to build it since many of my friends have no desire to come to GA. Now it would be several years before I could get around to building something like this for my current job situtation doesn't allow me to do so now. Plus I need to find the proper place too. I've been buying up properties all around GA in hopes that maybe one day I could get a couple of large parcels next to one another in order to do something like this or some kind of speciality subdivision that fits the needs of the environment it is in and fits the needs of the community it serves too.

I have seen Mallards Landings; it is just down the road from my house in Locust Grove but I didn't really like how it was set up. Seems kind of wasteful for space to me and the neighborhood is also split up lacking in the strong community feel I'm looking for. I already have some plans drawn of how I would like the subdivision to look and all the amenities I want it to have and where I think they should be placed but it is of course they are not accurate; not knowing what the property plat will be when and if I'm able to get enough large parcels put together for it. But large projects like this are what I really enjoy doing. Whether they be primarily residential or commerical.

Yes it would be very expensive to do but that is why I'm looking to see what kind of draw to people it has before setting my mind that that is exactly what I'm going to do. And of course I want to see if there is any particular place that people interested would want it to be too.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 04-08-2007 at 01:18 AM.. Reason: left words out

Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,438,947 times
I don't know if the kinds of people who can afford these kinds of properties would make up a large enough sample from City-Data alone. If you are interested in equestrian air parks, look at the ones located near Ocala, FL. That may help you determine your market a little better.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Default Affordable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I don't know if the kinds of people who can afford these kinds of properties would make up a large enough sample from City-Data alone. If you are interested in equestrian air parks, look at the ones located near Ocala, FL. That may help you determine your market a little better.
Well I agree that most people wouldn't be able to under the traditional role of these developments and it would be so much easier to just show than discuss. I'm going to give it a shot though. The plan that I have, as it stands now, is a property that was once for sale on the Ocmulgee River just south of Abbeville, GA. This was very early on in my career, in fact I think I was only 17 when I found it and of course did not have the resources to make such a thing come to pass and Abbeville really isn't the ideal spot for what I had in mind, but it was a state owned park of 7638 acres with 3 miles of river frontage and it was being dissimulated because its use as a negelicted park was making both GA and the National Park Service look bad. This was larger than what I needed but with property that could not split and a price of only 650/acre I could not help but get my creavtive juices flowing. Long after the property sold to a timber company I found the new owner, in hopes they would have some positive plans for it. To my dismay the owner wasn't willing to take me seriously and of course his plans were to just strip the land of all the trees. I am sure he made out fantasically on the property for in contained some of the only virgin timber left in the state plus he was able to get closer the river than he would be now too.

What ever the case, I was looking to, of course have some very highend properties there, but was hoping to utilize some of my wealthy contacts; like I did do later anyway (for other much smaller projects), to build something similar to Peachtree City but with more green space and more country appeal. This would allow me to have the lower paid populations there too. It would be a small town but a town none the less. I really wanted it to scream of southern charm and echo what the small plantation towns of the south looked like with all the modern amenities. Of course the plantations themselves would be nonexistant but the feel of old town Savannah, with everything a modern city needs incorporated. Although the one way in, one way out is generally a bad idea the property only had one major highway running through it and a paved county road that forked off it, I think the limited access would have been what sold it and made it that much more exclusive and truely made it feel like a step back in time. Besides with it being a fly-in community, golf, equestrian mini ranches and having it's own small downtown area I think some of the lower paid population would gladly live and work there even if they couldn't afford the huge plantation style homes, (if you think about it, we do already) but would love to have smaller 1950's sized homes to match the local antebellium personna. I could never afford the large homes even if I had the money to buy them, just to much dang work and upkeep to keep me stressed out. I have a hard time allowing others; even if I pay them, to do work I feel I should be able to do myself. Anyway my numbers are now almost 15 years old and would need to be reconfigured but then the smaller homes would have started around 80K so I figure they would probably be 100-130K now; then add a small association fee and you'll have, albeit something near what the average American is already paying.

Last edited by pickleswanson; 04-08-2007 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: left words out

Old 02-27-2008, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 40,076 times
Default affordable equestrian community in GA

My husband and I live in GA and dream of being involved in the development of a rural village equestrian community that offers affordable homes/lots. Anywhere in the SE. We would build some energy efficient/passive solar homes, 1800 - 2500 sf, one level "accessible" design (we've done this), targeted to active seniors (like us). The equestrian component would include a community barn and pastures with on-site trails. Lots would range from 1/3 acre for those who don't care to maintain lawn themselves, to estate lots.
Your idea sounds similar to ours. I'm interested to learn if you've made any progress on your plans.
Abby

Old 02-27-2008, 01:59 PM

12 posts, read 64,993 times
There is a fly-in community just across the border in South Carolina. You can find Twin Lakes just north of North Augusta SC, between Edgefield SC and Aiken SC. It's off of Bettis Academy Road. The community is less than 20 minutes from Augusta GA.

Old 06-22-2009, 01:36 PM

1 posts, read 6,432 times
There is a house for sale in Little Tobesofkee Creek Ranch the fly-in equestrian community. 4 bed 3 bath all brick custom home on a full basement just across from the runway. The owner is always ready to show it. Fly in and check it out. Listed at $480,000 155 Redbone Run, Barnesville, Ga

Old 06-22-2009, 03:05 PM

1,941 posts, read 9,237,980 times
There's an air-park on the GA/FL line about 20 minutes south of quitman, maybe half-hour drive from tallahassee, and it hasn't done very well. Its been there for years and years, and I'd guess there may be just under 20 homes built. Its several hundred acres.

I've talked to an individual who's considered building an equestrian estate in my area, but its several years off from being a reality, if ever. It would be close to 4k acres.

Fly-in communities are interesting, but the only thing I dislike is their limited options for airport facilities. Most I've seen are grass strips w/ basic edge lighting, or a lightweight asphalt/bituminous surface, and no navigational aides or published approaches.

I know they exist in other parts of the world, just not in our area. It takes a massive concentration of wealth in the community to cover the assessments needed to maintain that type of facility.

As for the low-budget sport pilot, a fly-in community doesn't need such luxuries. That would be your target market down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia