U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-17-2009, 04:11 PM

15 posts, read 17,569 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I posted a similar thread on the U.S. General forum, but did not get a lot of suggestions. So here I am posting it in the individual States sections we are looking at. Hope you can add a few more suggestions.

In a nutshell, we are looking at FL, GA, SC, and NC—mostly because of it being on the East Coast and the weather. We previously lived in Europe, SoCal, and Oregon and loved all of those places for what they are. Now the “globetrotting” continues. Work and schools are not an issue. We are in our thirties—not retirees yet—but can take our work wherever we go.

What cities/areas meet the following criteria from your point of view?
(if you have lived in Europe, SoCal, or Oregon, please try to compare your suggestion; that would help tremendously since we have not spent a lot of time in the South East … but will do soon)

WEATHER:
mild winters, i.e., not long stretches below 50F; sunny and green throughout the year--we understand that requires rain and/or humidity
CULTURE:
a place that offers live music gigs on a regular basis and has interesting cafés, libraries, etc. to hang out, performing arts theaters would be a plus; a place that encourages going out on a spontaneous note
SIZE:
having lived around LA, we try to avoid major cities and the bad traffic; anything between 50,000 and 300,000 inhabitants is fine (bigger if it is simply irresistible); too small and you generally have to drive more than half an hour to do things, which discourages spontaneous activity; proximity to an airport would be a plus
SURROUNDINGS:
beach or inland is both fine with us; we enjoy the beach, but we also enjoy the hills, mountains, and rivers; as long as nature can be enjoyed and is not taken over completely by concrete and asphalt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 05:43 PM

8,862 posts, read 8,970,806 times
North Carolina may be your best option.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:56 PM

593 posts, read 1,724,275 times
Why did you leave the west coast? Most people on the east coast long to live in the PNW!
Was there something missing from the previous places you have lived other than they are very expensive places to live?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:59 PM

After re-reading your post the closest match I can think of would be tarpon springs, florida.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 PM

15 posts, read 17,569 times
Shagbark Hickory: We are leaving the PNW because my customers are located in Europe and 9 hours time difference has me getting up at 4 a.m. to be a somewhat decent service provider to them. 3 additional hours of sleep (East Coast vs. West Coast) means a lot in daily life
I love the West Coast, both SoCal and Oregon (living in a little town called Elkton right now) where we lived previously, but lack of sleep is killing me on the long term and my wife is not ready to leave her beloved home country. Otherwise we would probably take the leap back to Europe. Thanks for your suggestion. Appreciate the feedback!!!

Old 06-18-2009, 07:57 AM

Well then I thin kou will like my suggestion, Tarpon Springs or surrounding area. It's near Tampa, St. Petersburg, fl which is beautiful for florida (IMO) isn't an especially easy place to find work but you've got that covered. Even though it's near a big city, the traffic in that area is no big deal. There's good shopping, good cultural offerings and a really good airport. It's on the gulf. Not necessarily BEACH, but there are wonderful white sand beaches, very quiet secluded ones I might add. At least they used to be. No mountains but there are some light hills which is more than I can say for any other southeast beach area. Proximity to I-75 will take you to the mountains within 8 hours. It's a slow pace of life though so if you're OK with that then it might be the place for you. You will also have a whole new level of heat and humidity almost year round but seldom goes below 50.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:43 PM

163 posts, read 448,652 times
Saint Augustine Florida

Old 06-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINNIEMEME View Post
Saint Augustine Florida
One of my favorite places.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:38 PM

Except st. augustine does not meet any of Sleath's wants and wishes except for the beach part and it's not an especially nice beach.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagbark Hickory View Post
Except st. augustine does not meet any of Sleath's wants and wishes except for the beach part and it's not an especially nice beach.
What about Venice, FL?

I'm not that familiar with the state--too hot, too many hurricanes, etc
but from what I've read Venice has a lot to offer.

http://www.venicegov.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia